Cyanosis refers to a bluish discolouration of skin and mucous membranes. Peripheral cyanosis is when there is a bluish discoloration of your hands or feet. It is usually caused by low oxygen levels in the red blood cells or problems getting oxygenated blood to your body. Blood which is rich in oxygen is bright red in colour. When blood has a lower level of oxygen and becomes dark red, blue light is reflected, making the skin appear to have a blue tint.
Sometimes cold temperatures can cause blood vessel narrowing and lead to temporarily blue-tinged skin. Applying warm compressor or massaging the blue areas should return normal blood flow and colour to the skin. If warming your hands or feet up doesn’t restore normal blood flow and colour, it may be a sign of an underlying condition. Whatever the underlying cause is, the blue colouring means that it’s interfering with your body’s ability to deliver oxygen-rich blood to all the tissues that need them. It’s important to restore oxygen to body tissues as soon as possible in order to prevent complications.
Types Of Cyanosis:
Cyanosis can be divided into following types:
- Central Cyanosis: Central Cyanosis is a bluish discoloration seen on the tongue and lips, and is due to lower levels of oxygen in the Central arterial blood. It is usually caused by cardiac or respiratory disorders. Those suffering from Central Cyanosis will also have Peripheral Cyanosis, which is a bluish or purple discoloration of the fingers and toes. A type of Central Cyanosis could also occur when an abnormal pigment in the blood due to a drug intake or any other reason, imparts the abnormal bluish colour to the skin.
- Peripheral Cyanosis: Peripheral Cyanosis is a blue or purple skin discoloration of the extremities and is most intense in nail beds, especially if the external temperature gets really cold.
- Differential Cyanosis: Differential Cyanosis is diagnosed when the bluish discoloration is present in certain parts of the body and absent in others. It could be present only in the lower limbs, or only in the upper limbs, or only in the left upper and both lower limbs.
- Cyanosis in new-borns and babies: Cyanosis in new born is commonly observed in the area around a baby’s mouth. Sometimes even the palms, soles of the feet, head, or torso turn blue. This is a sign that baby is not getting enough oxygen. Transient Cyanosis clears a few minutes after birth.
Symptoms of Cyanosis:
- Difficulty in breathing
- shortness of breath
- chest pain
- sweating profusely
- pain or numbness in the arms, legs, hands, fingers, or toes
- pallor of arms, legs, hands, fingers, and toes
- dizziness or fainting
Causes of Cyanosis:
The underlying cause of Cyanosis is the tissues of the body do not receive blood with the requisite levels of oxygen, this can happen due to a variety of reasons, some of which are:
- Too tight clothing or jewellery
- deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- venous insufficiency
- heart failure
- Intracranial haemorrhage
- Myocardial infarction
- Obstructive sleep apnoea
- arterial insufficiency
- severe hypotension
Ayurvedic treatment for cyanosis:
According to Ayurveda cyanosis is correlated with vaivarnya which is caused due to Mandagni( decreased digestive fire) which in turn causes obstruction of arteries, because of which body tissues are unable to receive adequate amount of blood and results in bluish discolouration. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre recommends you best natural treatment for cyanosis without any side effects. The herbal medicines used in the management of cyanosis include:
1. Detox Premium Powder:
These herbal sachets are prepared from ingredients such as Shankh bhasma, Sutshekhar ras, Parvalpishti, Shukta, Giloy, Kamdudha ras, Shvetparpati that gives calming effect on the stomach.
Shankh bhasma: This ayurvedic bhasma is prepared from conch shell. The bhasma shows antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antacid, digestive stimulant properties. The problems like indigestion, heartburn, acid reflux, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, etc are easily treated with it.
Sutshekhar ras: It is an ayurvedic preparation that maintains pitta dosha in the body. This ras provides effective results in abdominal pain, heartburn, nausea, fever, headache, epigastric tenderness, etc.
Parval pishti: This pishti is prepared from coral calcium processed in rose water. It provides effective results in acidity, burning sensation, headache, etc.
Shukta pishti: This pishti balances the pitta dosha in the body and removes all toxins from the body.
Giloy satv: Giloy satv possesses antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, carminative, immunomodulator, etc properties. It eliminates the ama from body hence provide good results in acidity problem.
Kamdudha ras: This ras reduces heat, burning sensation, epigastrium tenderness, irritability, heartburn, and acidity.
Shwet parpati: It is also effective in acidity.
Recommended Dosage: Take one sachet twice daily.
2. Curcumin Capsule:
Curcumin Capsule helps in pacifying all three doshas. Curcumin Capsule is beneficial for variety of skin conditions like Acne, Eczema, Psoriasis, Cyanosis, and Dermatitis. This Capsule contains standardized extract of the herb Curcumin (Curcuma longa). Curcumin is the active ingredient in Turmeric having powerful Anti-inflammatory, Antibacterial, Antifungal, Anti-microbial and Antioxidant properties.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 capsules twice daily.
3. Trikatu tablet:
It is hebo-mineral tablet and is purely Ayurvedic formulation. Trikatu Tablet helps to eliminate excess Kapha or mucous from the body, supports respiratory system, manages weight, helps to take out impurities or ama from the body, supports healthy detoxification, reduces swelling. It shows anti-inflammatory, analgesic, expectorant, antioxidant properties. This tablet is made up of equal parts of three herbs such as Pippali (Piper longum), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), & Marich (Piper nigrum) that maintains the metabolism in the body. It is an Appetizer and it improves digestion, supports normal gastric function, and normal circulation.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
4. Nerve plus Tablet:
Nerve plus of CAC is pure herbal combination, without any added chemicals, colors, fillers and additives. These tablets show Anti-bacterial, Anti-inflammatory, Antioxidant, and immune- modulator properties. It contains herbal ingredients Ghritkumari (Aloe barbadensis), Kali mirch (Piper nigrum), Giloy satav (Tinospora cordifolia), Shudha kuchla, Shudha shilajeet, Shudha vatsnabh, Shudh Singraf. It is beneficial for diseases of stomach, stimulating nerves and appetite. It has Rejuvenative, restorative and adaptogenic properties. It improves nerve impulse conduction and enhances body metabolism. It is used to pacify vata doshas and is effective in relieving stress, bone marrow cellularity by hiking blood. It allows the blood to flow freely in vessels and relaxes endothelial protection, thereby prevent dryness and Cyanosis.
Recommended Dosage : Take 1 tablet twice daily.