Bursitis is irritation or inflammation of a bursa sac. You have these sacs all over your body. They’re filled with fluid that helps easy rubbing and friction between tissues like bone, tendons, muscle and skin. Bursitis is common around major joints like your hip, shoulder, elbow,or knee.Or Bursitis is when your joints become painful, tender and swollen. It can usually be treated at home and should go away in a few weeks.
Bursitis Causes and Risk Factors
Bursitis is common in adults, especially after age 40.
It’s usually caused by continuous pressure on an area or by using a joint too much. High-risk activities include gardening, raking, carpentry, painting, scrubbing, tennis, golf, and throwing. You can also get bursitis by sitting or standing the wrong way for a long time at work or home, or by not stretching enough before you exercise. Sudden injury can sometimes cause bursitis.
As you age, your tendons aren’t able to handle stress as well. They’re less elastic and easier to tear.
If there’s a problem with the shape or structure of a bone or joint (such as legs that are different lengths or arthritis in a joint), that can put more stress on a bursa, causing bursitis. Reactions to certain medications and stress or inflammation from other conditions, such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, gout or thyroid disorders, may also raise your risk.
Bacterial infection especially of Staphylococcus aureus bacteria, can sometimes cause bursitis.
Bursitis might affect you’re:
- Hip or thigh
- Achilles tendon or heel
Pain is the most common symptom of bursitis. It might progress slowly or be sudden and severe, especially if you have calcium deposits in the area. Your joint might also be:
Call your doctor if you have:
- Fever (over 102)
- Swelling, redness, and warmth in the area
- General illness or one or more area that hurts
- Trouble moving the joint
These could be signs of an infection or another problem that needs medical care right away.
Ayurvedic view in Bursitis
In Ayurved, there are various herbs present in nature that relieves all the signs and symptoms of brusities. This treatment provides effective results and balances the disease from the root cause. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides “Brusitis Relief Kit” for ayurvedic treatment of brusitis without causing any side-effects on the body. This herbal kit comprises of five products. Pain o kill, detox premium powder, makar rasayan , panchskar churan, curcumin tablet.
All Products description in detail:
1. Pain-O-Kill Oil
This herbal oil provides good results in body pain, swelling, stiffness, & inflammation. Massage with this oil relieves pain, stiffness, & swelling. Pain-O-Kill oil is prepared from herbal ingredients like Jyotishmati, Kustha, Devdaru, Vatsnabh, Rasna, etc. These all ingredients show anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, & analgesic properties. The antioxidant nature removes all toxins out from the body. Anti-inflammatory & analgesic properties reduce inflammation & pain in the Knee.
Method of Application: Take few drops of oil in your hands after that gently massage over the affected area of your body pain.
2. Panchsakar Churna
It is a pure and classical preparation known as Panchsakar churna. This churna is used since ancient time for the detoxification of the body. The churna contain five ingredients as the name suggests Haritaki, Shunthi, Krishna Pippali, Trivrit, and Sauvarchala lavana. As toxins are removed from the body knee pain will automatically subsides.
Recommended Dosage: Take one teaspoonful at bedtime with lukewarm water.
3. Detox Premium Powder
Detox premium powder is a herbo-mineral preparation containing ingredients such as jahar mohra pishti, parwal pishti, shukta pishti, shankh bhasma, kehrva pishti, moti bhasam, giloy satv, kamdudha ras, etc. This herbal powder help in overall detoxification of the body, balances pitta dosha in the body, reduces inflammation, pain, sudden pain, etc.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
4. Makar Rasayan tablet
Makar Rasayan tablet is a herbo-mineral tablet and is purely Ayurvedic formulation. CAC MAKAR RASAYAN tablet help in balancing all the three doshas. It helps to rejuvenate body tissues and act as an immuno modulator. It helps in proper blood circulation. It prevents the skin from dryness. It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchla, guduchi satva, shudha shilajeet, abhrak bhasma, ras sindoor, moonga bhasma, shankh bhasma, praval pishti etc. Herbs and minerals used for the formulation of these tablets show antioxidant, aphrodiasic, analgesic and immuno modulator properties.
Recommended Dosage: Take one tablet twice daily after meals.
5. Curcumin Capsules
Curcumin Capsules is a herbo-mineral capsule of size 500 MG which is 100% safe and is purely ayurvedic formulation. CAC Curcumin Capsules helps in pacifying all three doshas. Curcumin Capsule is beneficial for variety of skin conditions like Acne, Eczema, Psoriasis, and Dermatitis. This Capsule contains standardized extract of the herb Curcumin (Curcuma longa). Curcumin is the active ingredient in Turmeric having powerful Anti-inflammatory, Antibacterial, Antifungal, Anti-microbial and Antioxidant properties.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 Capsule twice daily with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment of Knee Pain?
The ayurvedic medicines give good effect along with the panchakarma procedures as it balances the dosha in the body. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides the best and effective treatment for knee pain. The recommended procedures for knee pain patients are:
- Janu Basti: In this procedure, a ring with dough is made around your knees. After that lukewarm medicated oil is poured in this ring. With the help of sponge, the oil is soaked. Again the oil is poured. This is repeated three to four times.
- Patra Potli Pind Sweda: In this procedure, medicated leaves are poured in a bag (potali). This bag is dipped in medicated oil. After that, this bag is used for massaging over the knee joints and other body parts.
- Shasti Shali Pind Sweda: In this procedure, the shasti shali rice is cooked in Bala kwath & Dugdha. This rice is poured in a potali (bag). After that the bag is used for massaging purposes over the affected area.
- Lepam: The herbs that are hot in potency are in used in powder form for this procedure. A paste of the powder is made after that it is applied on the knee joints.
You can’t always prevent bursitis, but some steps can lower your risk.
- Use cushions or pads when you’re resting a joint on a hard surface, like if you’re kneeling or sitting.
- If you play sports, mix things up so you don’t make the same motions all the time. Warm up and stretch before you play, and always use proper form.
- Start slowly and easily when you’re trying a new exercise or sport. As you build strength, you can use more force and do the motion more often.
- Don’t sit still for a long time.
- Take breaks often when you’re making the same motions over and over again.
- Use good posture all day.
- Keep a healthy body weight.
- If something hurts, stop doing it and check with your doctor
DIET RECOMMENDATIONS (AAHAR)
- A healthy dietary pattern as per Ayurvedic way of life must be practiced.
- Langhanam (dieting) to reduce weight helps in reducing the burden on joints.
- One should include nuts and dairy in your diet.
- Beverages like Carbonated drinks, packaged foods or junk food should be avoided.
- Increase protein intake in your diet with foods such as milk, eggs, chicken soup, fish, lentils, curd, and paneerfor recovery and repair.
- Increase intake of vata-decreasing foods such as
- Rice (aged rice)
- Boiled milk
LIFESTYLE CHANGES (VIHAR)
- Avod visham sthana-anga- shayan or walking on uneven land and day sleep
- Follow a systematic daily way of life (Dincharya)
- Stress, excessive exercise and suppression of urges (vegavidharan) must be avoided
- Ensure that falls are minimized or avoided.
- Avoid contact sports or activities that require physical stress in bursitis.
- Avoid putting pressure on the affected joint
- Gentle oil massages or fomentation as per your physician’s advice may be beneficial.