Oils generally have properties similar to their source (example – seed). Sesame oil is the best among all oils.
Sesame oil has following properties :
- Tvak doshanut – Cleanses and detoxifies skin
- Chakshushya – Good for overall eye health and vision
- Sukshma – Pierces into deep tissues or minute channels(srotas)
- Ushna – Hot in potency, balances Kapha
- Useful in both obese and emaciated people.
- Useful in relieving constipation and worm infestation.
- When Sesame oil is processed with other herbs, it is very beneficial in various disorders.
BENEFITS AND PROPERTIES OF ERAND OIL
- Castor oil is bitter, sweet and pungent in taste.
- Sara – It promotes natural movement of body fluids (laxative)
- Guru – Hard to digest
- Amapachana – Removes toxins, Digests the indigested food(Ama)
- Angamarda – Relieves limb pain or general body aches.
- Bhedaniya – Purgative in nature, destroys feaces.
- Cakshushya – Benefits the eyes.
- Rechana – Cathartics, forcibly expels feces out of the body as semi-Shodhana: Cleanses excess doshas from the body.
- Snehopaga – Moistening, cures dryness.
- Vataghna – Reduces aggravated vata
- Vardhma – Enlargement of the scrotum (hernia)
- Gulma – Abdominal tumors
- Anila kaphahara – Diseases caused by aggravated Vata and Kapha
- Udara – Ascites
- Vishama jwara – Intermittent fevers
- Pain and swellings in the waist, abdomen, genitals and back
- It is capable of penetrating deep and clearing clogged pores
- Hot in potency and it has a bad smell.
- Oil of red variety of castor seeds is more penetrating than the normal one, hot in potency and sticky and it also has a bad smell.
Notes :- Castor oil is used for medicinal purpose to produce purgation, to give relief from pains and to reduce the swellings. It is very efficient Vatahara remedy (Reduces the aggravated Vata) and is very useful in so many other diseases as well.
Sarsapa Taila – Mustard oil is
- Hot in potency
- Penetrating deep
- Mitigates (reduces) Kapha, semen and Anila (Vata dosha)
- Easy to digest
- Causes bleeding diseases, skin diseases, rashes on the skin, ulcers, haemorrhoids and worms (bacterial infections etc)
FEW OTHER PROPERTIES OF SARSHAPA OIL
- Used as a mucolytic agent.
- It is effective in breaking up mucous deposits and helps sinus drainage in cases of chronic sinusitis.
- Due to its antimicrobial properties, mustard oil helps in treating and preventing other respiratory problems like bronchitis, asthma and tuberculosis.
- Mustard oil due to its pungent taste and hot potency is known to pacify the aggravated Kapha and it is used as an excellent Ayurvedic remedy for treating such respiratory problems.
- Chest massage with mustard oil followed by steam inhalation can loosen up the mucous deposits by removing phlegm from lungs and respiratory tract and therefore helps in achieving trouble-free breathing.
AKSHATAILA (OIL OF VIBHITAKA)
Aksa Taila – oil obtained from seeds of Vibhitaka has following properties
- Sweet in taste
- Cold in potency
- Good for the hair growth
- Difficult to digest
- Mitigates Pitta and Vata.
NIMBA TAILAM (NEEM OIL)
Neem oil has following properties
- It’s not very hot (slightly hot) in potency
- Anti microbial
- Useful in skin diseases
- Mitigates Kapha dosha
UMA KUSUMBHA TAILAM (LINSEED OILS AND SAFFLOWER OIL)
Taila of Uma (linseed) and Kusumbha are :
- Hot in potency
- Can produce diseases of the skin
- Aggravate Kapha and Pitta doshas
VASA-MAJJA-MEDAS (MUSCLE FAT, BONE MARROW and FAT)
Vasa (muscle-fat) and Majja (bone-marrow) and fat have following properties :
- They reduces aggravated vata
- All of them increases strength of the body, Pitta dosha and Kapha dosha
- They possess properties similar to the meat of animals from which they are obtained.