Before explaining anything about Shirashool (Headache), first have a look on below given picture.
MORE INFORMATION – www.facebook.com/events/156126134739746
Headache is a simple symptom that represents numerous diseases and on that point, it becomes more difficult to differentiate. In Ayurveda Headache discussed as Shira Shool. There are so many diseases and conditions where headache is a major symptom.
Causes for Headache
Improper diet and lifestyle causes vitiation of the vata and kapha. Vata is obstructed by the kapha in the head region, causing headache. As the pain intensifies, vata also vitiates pitta dosha, causing a burning sensation in the head, nausea and vomiting. Headache is also often caused by emotional stress, overwork or insomnia.
As per ayurved the major causes for headache are weakness of nervous system and improper digestion. Due to irregular diet habbits food does not digest properly and go on accumulating in amashaya (stomach) causing ama formation in body. This ama accumulates in manavaha shrots causing weakness of nervous system and causes headache.
Life style causes for headache like high blood pressure, loss of sleep, weak eyesight, sinusitis, hunger, anemia, listening to loud music, studying in improper light, emotional strain, overwork, constipation, and flatulence.
Signs and Symptoms
- Heaviness of headache
- Headache either half or full headache
- Giddiness, eye pain
Types of Headache
Vataja, pittaja, kaphaja, dwandaja, sannipattaj, ardhavabhedhaka, suryavrta
Aim of treatment is to improve the digestion, acidity, and constipation. It cures the ama formed in body and by treating the causative factor headache cured by itself.
- Shirodhara – Pouring of medicated oils over head in a cyclic method.
- Shiropicchu – Keeping the cotton pad dipped in medicated oil for specific time duration.
- Shiro abhyanga – Proper head massage
- Shiro vasti – Keeping the oil over head by preparing the boundary around head
These main procedures which are very useful in headache and all other stress factor which is causing headache.
These panchakarma procedure relief the factor like loss of sleep, mental stress and weakness of eyesight.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Have warm and easily digestible foods, boiled and steamed vegetables, soups, vegetable juices and whole-wheat flour.
- Eat fruits like apples, papayas, mangoes, pears.
- Buttermilk, salads, and boiled rice sautéed with cinnamon, cumin seeds and garlic or hing are good in the daytime.
- Avoid spicy, oily and junk food.
- Avoid intake of curd specially in night time.
- Avoid working for long hours continuously.
- Always have a good sleep in night, over working in night time and awaking in night time for long time.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight, cold wind exposure.
- Avoid loud music, reading in low light, reading in improper position.