Rosary Pea – Medicinal Benefits
Rosary pea or crab`s eye popularly known as Gunja in Hindi . It is a slender, climbing herb with peculiar bright red seeds. It can be found growing over shrubs , plant and hedges . It is the most toxic herbal plant because of presence of abrin toxin present in plant seeds .
Gunja occur in two forms normally , the one with the red seeds and the other one is white seed .
Purified Gunja preparations work well for treating painful arthritis and hair fall . It is also considered a potent aphrodiasiac.
ENGLISH NAMES :-Indian Licorice root , Crab`s Eye , John Crow Bead , Abrus seed
HINDI NAMES :- Gunchi , Gamanchi , Gunja , Rati
SANSKRIT NAMES :- Kakadantika , Rati , Sheetpaki , Kakashaveya , Shikhandika
TAMIL NAMES :- Gundumani
TELUGU NAMES :- Guruvinda ,Guruginia
MARATHI NAMES :- Gunj , Gunja
PERSIAN NAMES :- Gunchi , Chashmi , Khurosa
AYURVEDIC PROPERTIES :-
RASA :- Tikta ( Bitter ) , Kashya ( Astrigent )
GUNA :- Ruksha (Dry ) , Laghu ( Light )
VIRYA :- Ushana ( Hot )
VIPAKA :- Katu ( Pungent )
EFFECT ON DOSHAS :- Balances Vatta and Kapha Doshas
PARTS TO BE USED :- Roots , leaf and Seeds
Botanical Name :- Abrus Precatorius
Kingdom :- Plantae
Division :- Magnoliophyta
Class :- Magniliopsida
Order :- Fabales
Family :- Fabaceae
Subfamily :- Faboideae
Tribe :- Abreae
Genus :- Abrus
Species :- A precatorius
USES ARE :-
1. Promote growth of hair :- The oil from the seed of herb is useful to promote the growth of human hair .
2. Treatment of Gonorrhea :- The rosary pea roots are used in treatment of Gonorrhea , Haemoglobinuric bile and Jaundice .
3. To Treat Fever ,Cough and Cold :- The leaves of Rosary Pea are used in making of tea which is helpful in treating cough , fever and colds .
4. This herb is also used as Laxative , Abortifacient , Aphrodisiac and Sedative
5. The seeds of this herb has antimicrobial , anodyne , diuretic , expectorant , hemostat , emetic , febrifuge , purgative and refrigerant property .
6. The seeds after being converted to vermifuge paste can be applied topically in case of sciatica , stiffness of shoulder joint and paralysis .
7. The white seeds of the herb are used in siddha medicine , to make oil that is regarded as an equivalent of the present day vigra .
8. In some traditional medicines , the herb is used to treat scratches , sores and wounds caused by dogs ,cats and mice .
9. The paste of its roots is often used in treatment of abdominal pain and tumors .
10. The juice derived from the paste of the leaves and seeds of rosary pea can be used to treat grey hair .
SIDE EFFECTS :-
The seeds of Rosary pea are highly poisonous . In the powdered form they have been known to disturb the uterine function and also prevent conception in women .
1. If consumed raw the seeds can result in nausea , severe abdominal pain , vomiting and diarrhea , burning in throat . Later on ulcerative lesion of mouth and esophagus might result.
2. Eye damage conjunctivitis and even blindness might result from coming in contact with an infusion of the seed extracts .