Panchakarma therapies are normally utilized to annihilate the vitiated Doshas and help in keeping up with the balance of these Doshas, which is the essential premise of wellbeing. Any of the five Panchakarma therapies can be used, either separately or in mix to forestall or fix an illness.
One such therapy is Basti Karma (Medicated Enema), which is a significant treatment methodology and it is believed to be Ardhachikitsa (half of the multitude of medicines required). Traditionally, Basti is supported to be regulated in sicknesses of Vata Dosha prevalence. Despite the fact that Basti is regulated in the Pakvashaya (rectum and Colon) its dynamic fixings spreads all through the whole body, giving the ideal result.
Basti is defined as “The Karma where in the medications regulated through the anal canal water way comes to up to the Nabhipradesha, Kati, Parshwa and Kukshi locale, beats the vitiated Dosha and Purisha (Morbid humors and fecal matter), spreads the oleation everywhere on the body and is effectively disposed of alongside the agitated Purisha and Doshas is known as Basti.”
Basti has two fundamental types Niruha and Anuvasana.
- Niruha Basti contains a combination of Madhu (Honey), Saindhava Lavana (Rock salt), Sneha (Oils), Kalka (Powder of Dravya) and Kwatha (Decoction).
- Anuvasna Basti contains a only oils.
1. Based on Adhisthana (Location)
- Pakvashayagata Basti: Medicated drugs are managed through the anal canal waterway into the colon. It tends to be either Niruha or Anuvasana Basti. This article centers basically around Pakvashayagata Basti.
- Uttara Basti: In guys it is Mutrashayagata Basti, the sedated drugs are managed through the penis to enter the urinary bladder. In females, it tends to be of two kinds. Mutrashayagata and Garbhashayagata Basti. The cured medications are controlled either through the urethra to arrive at the urinary bladder or through the vagina to arrive at the uterus. This depends on the illness condition and the going to Vaidya will endorse the suitable treatment in like manner.
2. Based on Basti Dravya
- Snaihika Basti: The cured medications directed is as Sneha (Ghrita, Taila, Vasa, Majja), through the butt-centric trench into the colon. It is additionally partitioned by the portion of Sneha regulated as follows:
- Sneha Basti: Here Six Pala (240ml) of Sneha is managed.
- Anuvasana Basti: her Three Pala (120ml) of Sneha is managed.
- Niruha Basti: In this kind of Basti, Kwatha (Decoction) is the primary element of the Basti Dravya, joined with Madhu, Saindhava Namak, Sneha and Kalka. Another term utilized for Niruha Basti is Asthapana Basti.
3. Based on Schedule exhorted
- Karma Basti: Here, an aggregate of Thirty Basti are controlled in which there are Eighteen Anuvasana and Twelve Niruha Basti on the other hand.
- Kala Basti: According to Acharya Chakrapani, it incorporates absolute Sixteen Basti. In this, ten are Anuvasana and Six are Niruha Basti.
- Yoga Basti: here, an aggregate of eight Basti are regulated, five being Anuvasana and three Niruha Basti
Basti Chikitsa is clarified correctly under three headings as follows:
(1) Poorva Karma
(2) Pradhana Karma
(3) Paschat Karma.
1. Poorva Karma
- Arrangement of Basti Dravyas
2. Pradhana Karma
- Patient is approached to rests in Vama Parshva (Left sidelong) position.
- The Basti Netra is brought into the Gudamarga (Anus) and the Basti Dravya is directed in a way that is neither too quick nor excessively lethargic.
3. Paschat Karma
- Patient is permitted to rest in a recumbent situation for a couple of moments.
- Snana (Bath)
- Rasadi Samsarjana Krama