What Is An Autoimmune Disease?
Autoimmune disease is the disorder in which the immune system, which generally defends the body against the disease, takes healthy cells also as a foreign; as a result immune system attacks the healthy cells. The autoimmune disease and progression vary as per individual.
In reaction to an unbeknown trigger, the immune system may begin making antibodies that instead of fighting infections, attack the body’s own cells. Management for autoimmune diseases nearly focuses on decreasing immune system activity.
Types of Autoimmune Diseases-
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Systemic lupus erythematous(SLE)
- Guillain barre syndrome
- Type 1 diabetes
- Grave’s disease
- Myasthenia gravis
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
Role of Ayurveda In Autoimmune Diseases-
- “Ayurveda perceives autoimmune diseases in a slightly different way.
- According to Ayurveda, the immune cells do not attack body cells suddenally, but to intercede against detrimental metabolites known as ‘Ama’.
- To discover the root cause of autoimmune disorders, Ayurveda looks at what caused the inflammation and works backwards: inflammation is caused by lack of cellular communication; the breakdown in communication is due to cells being covered with Ama (toxic waste product).
- The Ama is caused by low Agni (digestive fire) and low Ojas (immunity). Thus the root causes of auto-immune disorders are poor digestion capacity and weak immune system.
- Hence the Ayurveda management focuses on restoring Agni (digestive fire) and Ojas (immunity). By enhancement of digestive fire and immunity, one can naturally reverse the disease process and restore balance to the system.
- Our primary goal is to stop the progress of the disease along with symptomatic relief and 2nd is subsequently try to reverse the condition.
- Treatment of the underlying cause, resolving the problems and the rehabilitation process by stimulating the vitality of the body, together with forms the Ayurvedic treatment of autoimmune disorders.
- A thorough examination of the current course of the autoimmune disease and how the disease manifested in the past is essential to identify the cause of the disorder. One may requisiteness a little more patience than conventional treatments.
- The great benefits are that the results of Ayurveda are permanent in nature and practically always promising.
- Ayurveda describes countless of herbs as immunomodulators which can help you in preventing autoimmune disorders while eliminating ama from your body.
- These immunomodulatory herbs can act as immunostimulants, immune adjuvants as well as immunosuppressants when needed, thus, regulating and balancing the activity of your immune cells depending on your body’s condition.
- Therapies such as Shiro Basti, janu basti, patra pinda sweda, Abhyangam and shashtic shali pinda sweda along with Panchakarma treatments are decided after a detailed assessment of the doshas and consultation with the Doctor.
- The Yoga sequence is decided based on the course of progression of the Immunity disorder and includes Supta Virasana, Salambha Sirsasana, Viprita Dandasana and Viprita Karni.
AUTOIMMUNE PROTOCOL DIET –
- Seasonal fruits in moderation
- Take Green leafy vegetables
- Consume tubers such as sweet potatoes, yams, etc.
- Add some anti-inflamatory Herbs and spices such as ginger, garlic basil, cilantro, lemongrass, sage, turmeric, cinnamon, bay leaves, cloves, saffron etc. in your diet.
- Take healthy fats such as coconut oil, or olive oil.
- Add organ meat,poultry, Fish and other seafood in your diet. which is least processed.
- Take herbal teas made of ginger, chamomile, mint, etc.
- Eliminate added sugars
- Grains like rice and wheat
- Curd and processed milk products
- Egg and Red meat
- Legume and seeds
- Nuts and Nightshade vegetables
- Processed vegetable oils
- Caffeine and Alcohol
- Refined and processed sugars
- Artificial sweeteners and Food additives
But in the end, “prevention is better than cure”. So stay healthy by incorporating a healthy diet and exercise into your lifestyle.