- The consumption of coriander seeds powder can be taken with sugar twice a day.
- Water obtained from raw green fruit of Coconut 300-400 ml to be taken twice a day.
- Powder of Indian gooseberry three to six grams with water.
- Powder of Saunf (Anethum Sowa) with mishri mixed in a glass of water, 20 ml two times a day for 7 to 10 days.
- Mix some saunf (fennel seeds), tulsi leaves (holy basil), or a spice like a clove/cardamom in your mouth and chew slowly,”
- “Anything ( savory food items) that increases saliva production in the mouth can help balance the stomach’s acidity,”.
- Freshly made drinks like coconut water with a little bit of meat coconut or buttermilk that’s been homemade by churning water and yogurt together.
- According to Ayurveda, buttermilk soothes the stomach lining, reduces burning sensation, aids in digestion, and reduces irritation in the stomach that causes acid reflux.
- Buttermilk -Take 1/4 cup plain yogurt and add 3/4 cup water. Mix them well. Add 1 teaspoon of black salt, a pinch of roasted powdered cumin, a bit of grated ginger, and freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Buttermilk is categorized as a sattvic food according to Ayurveda. So, if you get acidity after having a heavy or spicy meal, avoid allopathic antacid and drink a glass of chaas/buttermilk instead. As Buttermilk is rich in lactic acid aids in normalizing acidity. Add a pinch of black pepper or 1 teaspoon of ground mint leaves for best results.
- Mint Leaves– Mint leaves have carminative properties and are a natural coolant, helps to pacify the acid secretions in the stomach. These play a significant role in reducing flatulence, abdominal cramps, acidity. Sipping a cup of mint tea effective in the irritated stomach and decrease acid secretions.
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera) –Ayurvedic medicine strongly recommends cumin seeds for treating all types of digestive woes. Cumin seeds stimulate saliva production which assists in the digestion process. It works as a potent acid neutralizer and helps to get cleared off acidity, bloating, flatulence, and also heals the ulcer.
- Basil Leaves – The basil leaves give a soothing and carminative effect and can give you instant relief from acidity. At the first sign of gas, eat basil leaves as soon as possible or boil three-four leaves in a cup of water and let it cool down. Sip on it frequently.
- Coconut Water – Your body’s pH acidic level turns alkaline when you drink coconut water. Coconut water helps to maintain mucus lining in your stomach, which gives protection to the stomach from excessive acid production. It prevents the re-occurrence of acidity.
Line of treatment according to Ayurveda
- Try reducing causative factors.
- Palliative care – All measures are taken to pacify Pitta Dosha, As the disease is of Pitta origin.
- Panchakarma treatment- ‘Panchakarma procedures’ like Vamana (emesis) or virechana (purgation) whichever is needed should be administered when the patient is not responding well to the oral medications. In chronic cases, Asthapanavasti (medicated enema) is indicated. Kunjal ( a type of Shatkarma) can also be advised with oral medicines.
Some important single drugs useful in Amlapitta
- Shatavari Churna – Three grams, two times a day with milk
- Yashtimadhu Churna – Three grams, two times a day with milk
- Amalaki Churna – Three grams, two times a day with water
- Shunthi (dry ginger) Churna – 1 gram, twice a day with water
- Have meals at fixed times.
- Food that is light and Coconut water has cooling properties.
- Vegetables like cucumber, white pumpkin, bitter gourd, bottle gourd, ash gourd, leafy vegetables like spinach.
- Old wheat, old rice, barley, millets, green gram.
- Fruits like guava, blackberry, green grapes, sweet lime, pomegranate, coconut meat, etc.
- Drink plenty of fluids like ash gourd juice, pomegranate juice, lemon juice, amla juice, sweet lime juice, water mixed with gondkatira. Medicated water with ushir or coriander seeds, or puffed rice.
- Have warm water.
- Dadimpak – sweet preparation made of pomegranate, gulkand -made from rose petals, moramla – sweet preparation made from amla, with milk.
- Lukewarm milk (around one cup) after every two or three hours.
- Warm milk mixed with Desi Ghee ( clarified butter).
- Practice sheetali, sheetkari, and Nadi shodhan Pranayam regularly.
- Adequate sleep.
- Avoid spicy, excessive salt, and sour food items.
- Avoid junk and deep-fried food items.
- Avoid excessive fasting, Do not skip meals.
- Avoid overeating, take small and frequent meals.
- Avoid irregular food habit( Adhyashana)
- Do not eat foods made from an excess amount of onion, garlic, red chilies, salt, oil, etc. very often.
- Do not eat curd and citrus fruits.
- Avoid lying down in a supine position just after having meals, the best-recommended position is left lateral.
- Avoid stress
- Avoid excessive consumption of tea, coffee, alcohol, smoking, and aspirin kind of medicines.