Swollen and inflamed veins in the rectum and anus that cause discomfort and bleeding. Hemorrhoids also called piles, are swollen veins similar to varicose veins.
Hemorrhoids can develop under the skin around the anus (external hemorrhoids) or inside the rectum (internal hemorrhoids)
Main cause of Hemorrhoids are straining during bowel movements, obesity or pregnancy.
One of the common symptom is Discomfort, especially during bowel movements or when sitting. Other symptoms include itching and bleeding.
Nearly four out of five adults will have hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids have a number of causes, but often the cause is unknown.
A high-fiber diet can be good, along with stool softeners.
Fortunately, effective options are available to treat hemorrhoids. Many people get relief with home treatments and lifestyle changes.
What are the Types of Piles (Hemorrhoids)?
- Internal Piles: It is most common than external hemorrhoids. Internal piles are normally located between 2-4 centimeters above the opening of the anus. These are generally painless because there are less pain sensing nerves in the rectum.
- External Piles: External piles are small lumps on the outside edge of the anus. They are itchy and can become painful if a blood clot develops. It occurs in the lower part of the anal canal and is a painful condition.
The veins around your anus bulge or swell because they stretch under pressure. Hemorrhoids can develop from increased pressure in the lower rectum due to:
- Straining during fecal discharge
- Sitting for long periods of time on the toilet
- Having chronic diarrhea or constipation
- Being pregnant
- Eating a low-fiber diet
- Being obese
- Having anal intercourse
- Regular heavy lifting
Signs and symptoms of hemorrhoids usually depend on the type of hemorrhoid.
These are around your anus under the skin. Signs and symptoms include:
- Itching or irritation in your anal region
- Discomfort or Pain
- Swelling around your anus
Internal hemorrhoids found inside the rectum. You usually can’t feel or see them, and they rarely cause discomfort. But irritation or straining when passing stool can cause:
- Bleeding without pain during bowel movements. You might notice small amounts of bright red blood on your toilet tissue or in the toilet.
- A hemorrhoid to push through the anal opening (prolapsed or protruding hemorrhoid), resulting in pain and irritation.
If blood pools in an external hemorrhoid and forms a clot (thrombus), it can result in:
- Severe pain
- A hard lump near your anus
What is the Ayurvedic View on Piles (Hemorrhoids)?
In Ayurveda, the term Piles or Hemorrhoids is termed as ‘Arshas’. Arshas is defined as the disease in which the mamsa ankura (fleshy masses) which occur at the opening of guda marga (anus), obstructs the pathway and trouble the person is called as Arshas.
Pathogenesis of Arshas – The vitiated doshas (vata, pitta and kapha) contaminates the twak (skin), mamsa (muscle), meda (fat) tissues and cause mamsa ankuras (fleshy masses) at the anal opening. These masses will leads to the Arshas.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Piles (Hemorrhoids)
There are numerous herbs present in Ayurveda that provides amazing result in the management of the piles. Chandigarh Ayurveda Center provides a “Piles Relief Kit” that cures the piles with all the natural management with no side effects.
The description of all products in detail:
1. Arsho Fit Capsule
These are Ayurvedic capsules that have been prepared from ingredients like Raswanti, Ritharakh, Kattha, Bakayan, Ral, Chitrak,Nimboli, Shubhra Bhasm, Nag Keshar, Shodhit Suhaga, Shodhit Gairik,Sonth etc. that in combination provide relief from itching, and bleeding associated with piles. Regular use of these capsules provides effective result in piles.
Recommended Dosage: Take two capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
2.Piles Soft Tablets
It is herbo mineral and purely Ayurvedic formulation .Arsh care tablets are 100% natural & safe containing 650mg extracts of Reetha Chhilka purified in Cow’s milk. The herb used for formulation of these tablets show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, laxative properties. It makes your stool soft and helps prevent constipation. It is effective against bleeding piles and reduce the pain while defecation. The main uses of arsh care tablet is in Bleeding piles, prevent constipation, act as laxative, Fissures, Fistula.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
3. Panchsakar Churna
This is a classical ayurvedic preparation that has been prepared from ingredients like Shunti, Haritaki, Pippali, Trivrit, and Sauvarchala lavana. Regular use of this churna give effective result in loss of appetite, bloating related to piles patient.
- It also helps in relieving the abdominal pain.
- This churna helps in relieving the constipation very easily.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful once daily with warm water at bed time.
4. Triphala Syrup
As the name suggests Triphala means (Haritaki, Bibhitaki, and Amalaki) herbs are used for syrup formation. This is amazing syrup that cleans your bowel naturally.
- It maintains the overall digestive system of an individual and keeps effective bowel movements.
- Use of this syrup gives relieve from chronic constipation related to the piles patient.
- Triphala is well known for its wound healing quality.
- It also helps in healing the inflammation of fistula- in – ano.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful of this syrup twice daily with normal water.
5. Detox Premium Powder
Detox premium powder is a herbo-mineral preparation containing ingredients such as jahar mohra pishti, parwal pishti, shukta pishti, shankh bhasma, kehrva pishti, moti bhasam, giloy satv, kamdudha ras, etc. This herbal powder help in overall detoxification of the body, balances pitta dosha in the body, reduces inflammation, pain, sudden pain, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
Panchakarma Procedures For for Piles (Hemorrhoids)
There are mainly five main procedures that can be done in a piles patient details are mentioned below:
- Kshara Karma– It is an Ayurvedic surgical procedure effective in pile treatment. Kshara karma involves the application of organic alkaline that promotes removal of excess tissues and proliferation and healing of normal tissues.
- Shasthi shali pind sweda: In this procedure rice are cooked with Balamoola kwath and dughda for inducing sweda. Light sweda is done to the piles patient over the affected area.
- Patra potli pind sweda: In this procedure the herbal leaves are prepared inbundle. Through this potali the affected area is massaged gently.
- Basti:This is considered as the mother of all Panchkarma procedure. It cleanses all the toxins accumulated in the body. Through herbal decoctions and ghee colon is cleaned. That ultimately gives relief from piles.
The best way to avoid hemorrhoids is to keep the stools
soft, so that they pass easily. To prevent hemorrhoids and reduce symptoms of hemorrhoids, follow these tips:
Eat high-fiber foods. Eat more vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. It softens the stool and increases its bulk, it helps you avoid the straining that can cause hemorrhoids. Add fiber to your diet slowly to avoid problems with gas.
Drink plenty of fluids. Drink 5-7 glasses of water and other liquids (not alcohol) every day to help keep stools soft.
Don’t strain. Straining hardly and holding your breath when trying to pass a stool creates greater pressure in the veins in the lower rectum.
Go as soon as you feel the urge. If you wait to pass a faces and the urge goes away, your stool could dry out and be harder to pass.
Exercise. Stay active to prevent constipation and to reduce pressure on veins, which can occur with long periods of sitting or standing. Exercise can also help you lose excess weight that might be contributing to your hemorrhoids.
Avoid long periods of sitting. Sitting too long, particularly on the toilet, can increase the pressure on the veins in the anus.