Orange is yummy juicy fruit commonly known as “Santra” or “Narangi”. It is a rich source of vitamin C which makes this fruit a powerful immune booster.
Orange is packed with so many essential nutrients, high fiber content improves the energy levels. The daily consumption of 1-2 cups of Orange juice or eating a raw orange before breakfast improves digestion. Its antioxidant activity protects against diseases like, liver disease, asthma and fluctuating cholesterol levels.
MEDICINAL QUALITIES OF ORANGE AS PER AYURVEDA
- It has sweet, sour taste, light in digestion, cold in potency
- When eaten raw pacifies vata, in cooked state pacifies pitta and kapha
- Vishad – Clears the channels of the body, purifies blood vessels, cleanses the gastro intestinal tract.
- Improves taste perception and increases appetite by enhancing digestive fire
- Hridya – It is a cardiac tonic.
- Improves strength and boosts immune system
- Quenches thirst and it’s a detoxicant
EFFECTS OF ORANGE ON DIFFERENT SYSTEMS OF OUR BODY
Orange might be beneficial in the management of hepatitis C. Orange has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties. It helps to reduce inflammation in patients suffering from hepatitis C virus infection. Two constituents Naringin and hesperidin in Oranges reduce the synthesis and release of lipids in liver. Orange also reduces the level of elevated liver enzymes in patients with hepatitis C infection
Orange helps to control the symptoms of Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). In Ayurveda, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is compared to Grahani. Grahani is caused by an imbalance in Pachak Agni (digestive fire). Orange improves Pachak Agni (digestive fire) due to its Ushna virya (hot) potency. This helps control the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
Take 1-2 cup fresh Orange juice, add a bit of water in it and have it before breakfast. Or you can have a raw orange too.
Orange helps in reducing the symptoms of Asthma and gives relief in breathlessness. The main involved doshas in asthma are Vata and Kapha. The vitiated ‘Vata’ combines with imbalanced ‘Kapha dosha’ in the lungs and causes obstruction in the respiratory channels. This causes difficulty in breathing and thus the condition is known as Swas Roga (Asthma). Adding Orange in daily diet helps to calm Vata-Kapha dosha, helps to remove excess mucus from the lungs and gives relief from the symptoms of asthma. This action is due to hot potency of oranges.
HEART AND ATHEROSCLEROSIS
Oranges are beneficial in reducing the risk of atherosclerosis. They are a rich source of vitamin C and Vitamin C has strong antioxidant properties. It prevents lipid peroxidation and deposition of plaque in the blood vessels
PRECAUTIONS WHEN USING ORANGE INTERNALLY
Consuming oranges or orange juice should be avoided if you have acid reflux disorder or hyperacidity or indigestion problems, because it has Amla (sour) taste, it will worsen the condition.
EXTERNAL USE OF ORANGE
Acne and Pimples
Oranges taken internally or its peel if used externally gives good result in case of skin problems such as acne or pimples. According to Ayurveda, an aggravation of Kapha results in increased sebum production and clogging of pores. It further results in the formation of both white and blackheads. Another factor is pitta, an aggravation of Pitta causes red papules (bumps) and inflammation with pus. Applying Orange or its peel paste on the affected area helps in reducing acne or pimples. Because it balances kapha dosha. It also removes excess oil and reduces inflammation due to its Kashaya (astringent) property.
How to use externally :
- Take one teaspoon Orange peel powder.
- Mix it with yogurt to make a thick paste. Or you could also make its paste with rose water, honey, milk as well.
- Apply it on affected area, leave it for 20-25 minutes
- Rinse it off with cold water.
- Repeat it 2 times a week to keep you skin free from excess oil which causes acne and to reduce the inflammation.
- Orange juice alone can also be applied on face. Take 2-3 tsf of orange juice, apply it on face with a cotton. Let it stay for 15 minutes and then rinse it off.
Oranges help to control hair fall and it promotes hair growth when applied externally on scalp. Hair fall is mainly due to an aggravated Vata dosha in the body, Orange or its juice balances Vata dosha and helps with the hair fall issue. It removes excessive dryness in scalp, prevents flakes/dandruff. This action is due to its Snigdha (oily) and Ropan (healing) guna(properties).
HOW TO APPLY EXTERNALLY
- Take 2-3 tablespoon of orange juice or as required
- Dilute it by adding some water or you can add milk if your skin is sensitive.
- Apply it on scalp with the help of a cotton swab. Also apply on the lengths of your hair wash it off after 20-25minutes with a mild herbal shampoo.
- Repeat it atleast twice a week to condition hair and prevent hair fall.
PRECAUTIONS WHILE USING ORANGE EXTERNALLY
Orange fruit paste, juice and peel powder should be used with milk or honey if your skin is hypersensitive to Amla (sour) nature.