Oil pulling is being practiced from Ancient period of time. In Ayurveda, it is co-related with “KAVALA”.
First thing you do in the morning is scrubbing your teeth with a tooth brush instead of this start up your morning with swishing a mouthful of oil around your teeth and gums.
There are surprising benefits of this ancient Ayurvedic practice for oral care and other health benefits.
What is oil pulling?
Oil pulling therapy, also known as “Kavala” or Gandusha,” is an ancient Ayurvedic practice followed as a daily habit (dincharya) for maintaining oral hygiene.
The word ‘pulling’ refers to how the practice results in removing toxins from the mouth with the help of a natural ‘oil’.
It is similar to your daily mouthwash but the difference is that instead of using a chemical or alcohol based mouthwash the oil pulling therapy uses natural oil which is absolutely safe for use.
‘Kavala’- It is a procedure of taking a small quantity of oil in the mouth and revolving it around for 2-3 minutes and spitting it out quickly.
Gandusha- It is filling the mouth with oil and holding it for a few minutes without moving it inside the oral cavity is called ‘Gandusha’. With this practice, you may start sweating slightly as a sign of toxins getting released from the body.
Some people may also experience watery eyes and some discharge from the nose as a sign of your mouth and also throat getting cleansed.
Work of Oil pulling
- Most dental problems occur due to the bacteria feeding on the food stuck in your teeth. Over a period, bacteria develop a thin layer on the teeth referred to as plaque and cause various dental problems.
- Regular practice of oil pulling for maintaining oral hygiene activates enzymes in the saliva that absorb toxins, which then gets mixed with the oil while you are swishing or holding it in your mouth.
Note- Spit the oil out of your mouth, avoid swallowing in order to eliminate toxins from the body.
- The Oil Pulling Process-
Firstly, take a small quantity of oil in your mouth and start the process by swishing the oil in your mouth slowly and after 2 to 5minutes spit it out, Followed by rinsing your mouth with water so as to get rid of the oily sensation and your regular brushing routine should be followed.
Once you are adjusted to it, then with the time you may increase the duration and start doing it daily with a mouthful of oil.
Benefits of oil pulling
- Deep cleanses the mouth: Around 350 types of harmful bacteria can be found in the mouth and they are often responsible for various dental problems.
- It is best to practice oil pulling for the following- cavity, toothache, plaque and other dental problems.
- Prevents bad breath: Doing oil pulling can reduce bad breath as it flushes out toxins and bacteria from the mouth.
It is advised firstly to do oil pulling in the morning.
- This gives you the additional advantage of stimulating your taste buds, so you can enjoy breakfast better.
- Strengthens teeth and gums: The anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties of oils reduce inflammation and sensitivity and strengthen teeth and gums.
- Whitens the teeth: Regular practice of swishing oil around the mouth gradually decreases the stains and restores the natural brightness of the teeth. Therefore, you may practice oil pulling for teeth whitening.
- Detoxifies the body: Toxins build-up causes various health problems that are not confined merely to your mouth. This is why Ayurveda recommends detoxifying the body frequently by the means of oil pulling which is a simple and effective way of doing the detoxification.
So, don’t wait and Get an Ayurvedic oil pulling formulation and start your mornings on a healthy note with a bright smile.