Nasyam is an Ayurvedic therapy that involves administration of medicated oil, powder or herbal extracts through the nasal cavity to treat different diseases affecting the area above the shoulder. It is an essential part of the five detoxification therapies in Ayurveda called the Panchakarma treatment. When done properly, Nasyam treatment works wonders to control sinusitis, migraine headaches, breathing difficulties due to congestion, infections, and various other diseases.
In Nasyam, the herbal oils, medicated powder, and other formulations that are given through the nasal route, are absorbed by the blood vessels and they make their way into the circulatory system. As they effectively reach the nervous system through nerve endings in the nasal cavity, they have a calming effect on the nerves, reduce stress and anxiety, and promote sound sleep. Nasyam therapy is also known to slow down the aging process and preventing early graying of hair.
TYPES OF NASYAM
In this nasyam medicated ghee or herbal oils are administered through the nasal passage to eliminate the accumulated toxins in the throat or head. It is also known as the Shodhana Nasyam or cleansing Nasyam, this method helps in getting rid of the doshas immediately from the head region.
] Virechana Nasyam is an efficient way to treat Kapha-related disorders like headaches, cysts, colds, skin diseases, eye diseases, swelling, itching, and stiffness.
In this, instead of oils, dry powders are administered into the nose using a tube. It is very effective in the treatment of conditions like sinusitis, nasal congestion, hoarseness of voice, as well as chronic diseases like tumors and cervical lymph disorders.
This is aslso called Brihmana Nasyam, in this Snehana Nasyam medicated oil mixed with camphor or other plant extracts is administered into the nose. It works best in case of dry sinuses, stiffness in the neck, bursitis, dry nose, and loss of sense of smell.
In this form of Nasyam treatment milk, medicated oils, decoctions, and teas are used to treat disorders caused by Pitta imbalance and vitiation of blood. It can prevent premature wrinkles, graying and thinning of hair, diseases of the eyes, discoloration on the face, etc.
The Pratimarshya Nasya treatment is an amazing therapy for opening up deep nasal tissues and stress relieving. It can be given in any season and is suitable for individuals of any age. It can be given in the morning or evening. Pratimarshya therapy is usually performed after a head massage, oil pulling and applying collyrium.
NASYAM THERAPY TECHNIQUE
The Nasyam treatment procedure is hassle-free and it does not take more than half an hour. The therapist will first massage the patient’s shoulder in the upward direction. The medicine is then taken in required dosage and poured into the nostrils so that the patient inhales it. Then Patient is asked to breathe in the medicinal extract, while the therapist continues to massage the area around the nose, neck, shoulders, palms, and feet.
Patients are asked to complete all their routine activities and are told to have a light diet an hour before the procedure. The patientl will then be advised to lie down on the massage table, in a comfortable position with extended hands and feet. For the initial 3-5 minutes, a mild massage with Bala oil, followed by mild sedation with cotton dipped in warm water/or hot water steam is given on the face, neck, and forehead.
The head is then lowered to a hanging position so that it is not excessively flexed or extended. The feet are slightly raised, and the eyes are covered with a clean cotton cloth.
The practitioner then drops the warm herbal formulation into the nostrils. Following the Nasyam therapy, a mild massage of the palms, shoulders and soles are done. The patient is then asked to turn to the side to draw the herbal formulation into the throat and spit it out into the spitting pot.
During this step, the patient is asked to lie down. His/her head, cheek, and neck are then subjected to mild sedation, afterwards a herbal smoking and gargling is done to expel out any residual oils or medications in the throat.
Post completion of the therapy, patients are recommended a light meal, and intake of lukewarm water. Also, the patients must avoid alcohol, traveling, smoke, dust, sleeping during the day, and cold water.
- Medicated oil or herbs used should be lukewarm
- Patients must avoid laughing, speaking, and sneezing during the procedure.
- Swallowing the herbal concoction during the procedure should be avoided.
- The herbal oil administered through the nose must be expelled out along with the mucous and morbid doshas, so that none of it is left behind.
- In case of any discomfort during the procedure, one must sprinkle cold water on the face avoiding the head.
- Nasyam therapy works best for individuals with vitiated Kapha dosha when done in the morning. In the case of vitiated Pitta, the therapy should be done during midday, and for vitiated Vata, in the evening.
- Nasyam therapy is practiced at midday during the winters and in the evening during the summers. On rainy days, it is performed whenever there’s sunlight.
- As a routine detoxification therapy, Nasyam therapy should be given before noon in the spring and autumn seasons.
- For the treatment of conditions like stiff neck, hoarse voice,hiccups, and aggravated Kapha, it should be performed twice a day in the morning, and in the evening.
- For other health problems, the Nasya treatment is done every two days a week, or it is done in a gap of 21 days.
- Detoxification of the body by administering oil through the nasal passage during the Nasyam therapy has a lot of benefits, as the body is free of toxins accumulated in the throat, nose, and head.
- Effectively cures migraine, headaches, and conditions like cervical spondylosis.
- Strengthens the immune system and the sense organs.
- Stimulates the central nervous system that regulate emotions and relieves stress.
- Improves skin complexion, hair texture and health and prevents premature greying.
- Nasyam improves brain functions and helps in the management of paralysis.
- Helps in the treatment of degenerative or age related disorders like muscle and joint pain.
- Enhances the functioning of sense organs
- Smoothens your nasal passage, treats nasal allergies and polyps.
- Removes toxins from the head and neck area.
- Prevents goiter, tonsillitis, and motor disorders.
- Alleviates chronic pain.
- Cures insomnia.
- Prevents aging and therefore graying of hair.
- Relieves pain in the ear, head, and throat.
- Relieves tension from the neck and shoulder region.
- Gives relief from toothache and other dental problems.
- Other conditions that Nasyam therapy helps with include hemiplegia, paraplegia, Multiple sclerosis, diseases of the eyelid, and Parkinson’s disease.