- The butterfly shaped gland or Thyroid is one of the most important glands in our body. It interacts with all other hormones and controls almost every function of our body.
- Function- It manages metabolism of food and regulates our sleep pattern. Thyroid plays an important role in managing our weight, mood swings, depression and anxiety.
- If this gland does not function properly then it can cause multiple problems.
- Along with the treatment diet and lifestyle plays a major role to get the normal functioning of Thyroid.
Make Changes in your Lifestyle-
- KEEP YOUR STRESS AWAY- Healthy nutritious food and low stress levels can minimize the chance of developing thyroid problems.
- Exercise regularly– It is good for weight-loss and also releases ‘happy hormones’ in the body which in turn reduces stress and help the person to cope with low moods and depression. Switch to Yoga and Pranayama for regulation of Thyroid levels.
- Maintain Weight- Major symptoms of thyroid disorder is the changes in the weight. It seems impossible to maintain an ideal weight but regular exercise or Yoga and proper diet management can help a lot in Management of better weight.
- Be active- Major culprit behind the rise in thyroid problem is the sedentary lifestyle. Inactive lifestyle may lead to the risk of obesity, heart diseases and stroke. Thus, an active lifestyle is necessary for proper thyroid management.
- Proper Night sleep – One should have a proper night’s sleep as it provide miraculous effect. Never compromise with your sleep, sleep duration should be of 7 to 8hours for a healthy well-being.
- The advantage of being physically active and busy during the day helps a lot in fighting fatigue and emotional problems, which are key problems of thyroid disorders.
- Sunlight- It is a good source of Vitamin –D. One should take sunbath in early morning hours.
Pathya-Apathya or What to eat and what to avoid?
Change your eating Habits-
BALANCE INTAKE OF IODINE IN DIET- Iodine is very important for the production of thyroid hormones.
For a normal production of thyroid hormones a small quantity of iodine is sufficient. An iodized salt is usually enough for providing the amount required. Try to balance the amount of iodine as excess iodine can cause Goitre.
In order to prevent iodine deficiency one should choose right amounts of iodine rich foods like seaweeds, iodized salt and seafood.
Good Gut Ecology- One should maintain your gut Health –
- Take probiotics or home-made dahi or yoghurt regularly. It reduces the anti-inflammatory response, ensuring better hormonal health.
- Eat lots of garlic which kills yeast.
- Drink plenty of fluids- Drink at least 2 to 3 liters of water per day. It plays an essential role in maintaining good metabolism, which is very much required in thyroid problems. It helps to fight bloating, constipation, fatigue and other symptoms of thyroid.
- Rich protein diet- Protein helps to transport the thyroid hormone to all over the body tissues and thus helps in the functioning of thyroid. For example- Eggs, nuts, seeds, fish and legumes in your diet.
- Fibre rich diet – Take a diet enriched with fibre. For example- Plenty of fresh fruits like Kiwi, Guava, Papaya, Grapes etc., Dry fruits, green and leafy vegetables.
- Omega–3 fatty acids – It is a rich source of healthy fats, also have seeds like flaxseeds and chia seeds. It helps in balancing thyroid hormones and maintaining healthy weight. Coconut oil is well known for improving metabolism and fight fatigue.
- Avoid foods containing preservatives- Avoid refined, packaged and processed food, triggers like gluten, dairy, soy, sugar, alcohol and any other food that is not tolerant to the person. Add on anti-inflammatory foods For Ex- ginger, turmeric, warm water, green tea, nuts and seeds for better health.
- Avoid caffeine or coffee immediately after taking thyroid pill as it may hamper the absorption and efficacy of the medication. So, it can be taken later on.
- The person with Hypothyroidism should avoid cruciferous veggies like cabbage, spinach, peanuts, soy products while those with hyperthyroidism may benefit from these foods. These specific foods can be altered based on your thyroid condition and medical advice.
- Decrease the intake of Dietary vegetable oils, polyunsaturated oils and hydrogenated fats as it is believed to be the cause behind the increased incidence of thyroid. Try to avoid Peanuts, peanut butter and soy products as it may also be the reason behind abnormal thyroid.
- Avoid Strong tea, coffee and tobacco when suffering from hyperthyroidism.
- Avoid smoking of Cigarette as they are more likely to develop eye complication associated with Graves’ disease.
- Intake of Vitamin D- The deficiency of Vitamin D is inter linked to thyroid as well. Adequate bone-building Foods should be taken For Ex.- Fatty fish, milk, dairy, eggs, and mushrooms. Some Supplements having vitamins and nutrients such as riboflavin, lecithin and thiamin may help.
- A low glycemic index diet or a diet based on controlling blood sugar helps in controlling thyroid.
- Eat food rich in antioxidants and cut down on foods with high sugar and fat.
- Thyroid can be managed by change in lifestyle i.e. by following the dietetics and various lifestyle measures one can live a healthy and happy life.