Kati vasti: An Ayurvedic therapy
“Kati” word refers to ‘low back region’.
“vasti” word refers to ‘which holds’.
Kati vasti is a traditional ayurvedic therapy used for lower backache and disorders of lumber-sacral region, including slip disc and degenerative changes of spine.
It is a part of external oleation therapy. It is very safe and non-invasive.
The patient lies down on their stomach. A well or groove is made over effected area by using kneaded flour of wheat and black gram to prepare boundary of well over back. Medicated oil is poured in that well. The oil is maintained at a temperature (lukewarm) by continuously changing the oil using cotton.. after that, the affected area is massaged followed by steam.
Duration of Kati Vasti Course
Duration of procedure is 30 minutes. Generally it may take 7 to 21 days to get relief in the symptoms and disease. Mostly it depends on the patient and severity of the disease.
Oils for Kati Vasti
- Mahanarayan tail
- Ashwagandhabalalakshadi tail
- Nirgundi tail
- Kottamchukkadi tail
- Ksheerbala tail
Benefits of Kati Basti
- Increases the circulation in the region, as the medicated oil gets deeply absorbed into the skin, and both nourishes and strengthens the muscles, bones and nerves.
- Pacifies one of the primary sites of Vata, relieving pain, soreness, and tension and restoring flexibility.
- Relieves chronic lower backaches and painful muscle spasms, stiffness, and degenerative problems.
- The therapy enhance healing and recovery from spinal injuries.
- It reduced inflammation, swelling and tenderness of effected area.
- As per ayurved, it is very beneficial in kati shool and gridhrsi.
Indication of Kati Vasti
- Diseases of spines – like;
- Lumber disc prolapse
- Loss of Lordosis
- Lumber spondylosis
- Sciatica etc.
- Severe backache
- Muscular spasm at the lumber reign
- Stenosis of Lumber canal