Heart is the most important organ in our body as it pumps blood & provides oxygen. Ischemic heart disease is also known as coronary artery or coronary artery disease that creates problems in the heart. It causes narrowing of the arteries that supply blood to the heart muscle. The narrowing of the artery is caused by blood clot or constriction of the blood vessel. It can often be caused by formation of plaque known as “atherosclerosis”.
What are the signs & symptoms of Ischemic heart disease?
The signs & symptoms of Ischemic heart disease are given below in detail:
- Angina that creates pressure, burning, squeezing, or tightness during physical activities.
- Cold sweats
- Neck pain
- General weakness
- Shortness of breath
- Disturbance in sleep
- Pain in neck
Women are somewhat less likely to experience chest pain than men. Symptoms are more likely to experience:
- Pressure or tightness in the chest
- Abdominal pain
What are the causes of Ischemic heart disease?
The development of atherosclerosis (plaques) in the heart muscles is the main cause of ischemic heart disease that causes the arteries to harden and accumulate cholesterol plaques on their walls. If the surface breaks or ruptures, then platelets will clump at the site to try to repair the artery and this blocks the artery which leads to a heart attack.
Ischemic heart disease causes early childhood damage or injury to the inner layer of a coronary artery. The damage may be caused by various factors which include:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Diabetes or insulin resistance
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Being overweight
There are two main causes of Ischemic heart disease that are given below in details:
- Plaque buildup: When plaque is built up in the arteries it is known as atherosclerosis. It happens when the arteries become hardened and narrower reducing the blood flow to the heart. Small blood clots are formed in the small arteries.
- Molecular changes are seen in the small blood vessels: The molecular changes in the small vessels of the heart are due to normal aging processes. It causes damage to the small vessels causing high blood pressure, diabetes, or chronic inflammation.
What are the types of Ischemic heart disease?
The Ischemic heart disease is mainly of three types that are mentioned below in detail:
- Obstructive coronary artery disease: This disease occurs when there is formation of plaque that is formed in the large arteries causing these arteries to become narrow. It reduces the supply of oxygen-rich blood to the heart. The flow of blood can completely block one or more than three large coronary arteries.
- Non-obstructive Coronary artery disease: In this type, the large arteries are narrowed by plaque. Less than 50% obstruction of the heart’s large arteries are caused by formation of plaque. It causes damage to the inner walls of the coronary arteries.
- Coronary microvascular disease: This type affects the small arteries of the heart. It can happen alone or with obstructive or non-obstructive coronary artery disease. This heart disease most often occurs when molecular changes in the microvascular system take place.
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
In Ayurveda, ischemic heart disease is compared with the Hridya roga. When the vata dosha gets vitiated and disturbs the rasa dhatu in the body, it results in the Hridya roga or kapha dosha causing hardening of the arteries.
Ayurveda describes the following types of Hridya roga:
- Vataj Hridaroga in which the person experiences acute pain with shifting nature
- Pittaja Hridaroga in which the patient has pain with the burning sensation.
- Kaphaja Hridaroga in which the patient has pain which is mild in nature and is often associated with heaviness, nausea and cough.
- Tridoshaja Hridaroga wherein the patient experiences the mixed symptoms of the three doshas.
Single herbs useful in ischemic heart disease are:
Ayurvedic formulations useful in this disease are:
- Arjun Ksheer Pak
- Akeek Pishti
- Jahar Mohra Pishti
- Lakshmi Vilas Rasa
- Chandra Prabha Vati
- Sarpgandha Vati
- Amalaki Rasayan
- Lashun Rasayan
- Lashunadi Vati
- Triphala Guggulu
- Ashwagandha Churna
What is the role of Panchakarma for ischemic heart disease treatment?
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre is providing you panchakarma treatment along with the ayurvedic medicine for ischemic heart disease that increases the efficacy of medicines and fruitful results are seen. The effective panchakarma therapies that are recommended below:
Patra potli pind sweda: In this therapy medicated leaves are wrapped in a potli and then it is dipped in lukewarm oil. Massage is done with this potli over the whole body for increasing the blood circulation.
Shashti shali pind sweda: In this procedure, the shashti shali cooked rice is wrapped in a potli. Then dip this potli in lukewarm medicated oil. Do massage over the whole body to increase the blood circulation.
Uro-vasti: In this procedure, a ring is formed over the chest region, and lukewarm oil is poured in this ring several times with the help of a sponge. Massage is done on the chest region with this medicated oil so that the blockage in the heart can be removed.
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Take in a low fat vegetarian diet.
- Avoid smoking and consuming alcohol, drugs.
- Do regular excercises to eliminate body fat, lower total cholesterol and raise HDL cholesterol that prevents fatty cholesterol deposits.
- Practice meditation and yoga exercises.
- Avoid taking in heavy meals and late night snacks.
- Avoid eating frequently and overeating.
- Avoid eating food that would cause constipation. Patient’s bowel should be cleared regularly.
- Cow’s ghee, milk and butter should be preferred instead of buffalo’s milk, ghee and butter.
- Avoid mental tension and stress.
- Take 7-8 hours sound sleep as sleep deprivation leads to depression, blood pressure problems and other disorders that increase the risk of heart disease.
- Focus on positive attitudes, emotions and activities that increase the ojas. Ojas maintains the contentment, bliss, vitality and longetivity.
HERBAL HOME REMEDIES
- Soak one teaspoonful of fenugreek seeds in water for a night. Consume them the next morning on an empty stomach. This will reduce the cholesterol level and excess fats.
- Take half tablespoon of Trikatu powder with honey regularly. This too helps in reducing the cholesterol level and hence prevents the heart disease.
- Take three parts of powdered turmeric, six parts of grind cumin, six parts of grind coriander, six parts of grind fennel, two parts of grind fenugreek, one part of dried powdered ginger and one part ground black pepper.
- Take 5-10 grams of powdered Arjun tree bark, a cup of milk and 3 cups of water. Boil all these things till it reduces to half. This is known as Arjun Ksheer Pak. Take this empty stomach in the morning.
- Prepare a paste of about one gram of garlic in a glass of buttermilk. Drink this twice a day. This lowers the cholesterol and prevents heart diseases.
What is the Ayurvedic treatment for Ischemic heart disease?
Ayurveda is the best way of healing any kind of chronic or acute disease. As ayurvedic treatment for ischemic heart disease deals with the root cause of the disease. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre introduces “Ischemic Heart Care Kit”. This pack consists of five Ayurvedic medicines that are mentioned below in details:
1. Detox Premium Powder:
Detox Premium powder is a pure ayurvedic formulation prepared from herbs & minerals. The ingredients in this powder are shukta pishti, shankh bhasma, sutshekhar ras, kamdudha ras, parval pishti, giloy satv, etc. The antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, cardio-protective, carminative, etc properties of this powder provide effective results in general weakness, nausea, shortness of breath, anxiety, etc. All the signs & symptoms related to ischemic heart disease are treated with the regular use of this powder.
- Recommended dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
2. Vaat Nashik Vati:
Vaat nashik vati is a herbal preparation containing ingredients such as abhrak bhasam, jahar mohra pishti, giloy etc. These ingredients balance vata dosha in the body. Pain in the neck is managed with the use of this herbal tablet. The signs & symptoms related with ischemic heart disease are treated with the use of these herbal tablets.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
3. Noni Capsule:
Noni capsules contain standardized extract of herb Noni (Morinda citrifolia) that is good for overall heart health. These capsules deal with the blocked arteries of the heart. The formation of plaque is overcome with the use of these herbal capsules.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 capsule twice daily with normal water.
4. Trikatu Syrup:
Trikatu syrup is an ayurvedic formula containing herbal extracts of three herbs such as Pippali (Piper longum), Maricha (Piper nigrum), & Sonth (Zingiber officinale). The herbs that are used for formulation of this syrup show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, carminative, & immuno-modulator properties. These properties deal with the general weakness, loss of appetite, decreased metabolism, etc related to Ischemic heart disease patients.
- Recommended dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful thrice daily.
5. Gokshuru Capsule:
Gokshuru capsules contain standardized extract of herb Gokhru (Tribulus terrestris). This herbal capsule deals with the blockage of the arteries in the heart. The signs & symptoms related to ischemic heart disease is treated with the regular use of these capsules.
- Recommended dosage: Take 1 capsule twice daily with normal water.