In Ayurveda the seeds of the Kutuja is known as Inderjao. This herb is most famous herb in Ayurveda. Inderjao are astringent and bitter in taste. In nature they are light and dry. They are cool in potency. The essential useful parts of this plant are bark, leaves, seeds, and flowers.
This herb is mused to treat chronic diarrhea and dysentery. This herb also helps to treat bleeding piles and various types of skin disorders.
The Kutaja is basiucally a large shrub or a glabrous medium sized tree. This tree is covered with dark-brownish and greenish color bark. This tree has dark green leaves which are oval in shape, simple, opposite and about 10 cm long. The plant has white coloured flowers which are about 2-3 cm long, and they are less fragrant. The fruits of this plant are paired and cylindrical in shape. The seeds of this plant contains numerous light brown color, and these are covered with silky hairs.
This plant is basically found throughout the India and native to Asian countries. In India this plant is widely distributed in Himalayan regions of the higher attitudes of 1100 meters above the level of sea. This tree is also found in the major regions of Uttar Pradesh and Assam.
- Botanical name – Holarrhena Pubescens
- Latin Name – Holarrhena Antidysentrica
- English Name – Conessi bark, Conessi tree
- Hindi Name – Kudaiya, Kuda, Karva Indrajau, Kutaja
- Sanskrit Name – Kalling, Kutaja, Inderjava, Inderbeeja, Indrayava, Vatsaka, Sakraparyaaya, Sakraasana
- Telugu Name – Kodaga, Girimallika, Kodisepala, Kolamukku, Kondamalle, Kutajamu
- Bengali Name – Kurachi, Kutaja
- Marathi Name – Kuda, indrajav, Indrajav, Pandhra Kuda
- Gujarati Name – Kuddo
- Tamil Name – Veppalai, Kirimllikai, Kutaca-p-palai, Mlaimllikai
- Kannada Name – Korachi, Kodasige, Koodsaloo, Korchie
- Kashmiri Name – Andusurun
- Malayalam Name – Kodgapala, kutakappaala
- Urdu Name – Kherva
- Punjabi Name – Kenara, Keor, Kewar
- Oriya Name – Keruan, Pitakorwa, Kurwa, Korwa, Kherwa
- Assamese Name – Dudkhuri, Dhulkari
- Gujrati Name – Kadavo Indrajav
- Konkani Name – Kudo
- Nepali Name – Ban Khirro, Madhire Khirro, Indrajau, Kiringgi, Kurchee
- Mizo Name – Hlengpa
FAMILY – Holarrhena antidysenterica
CHEMICAL CONSTITUENTS OF INDERJAO:-
The Inderjao plant is reported to contain the presence of glycoflavones-iso-orientin, flavanoid, and phenolic acids. From the various parts of the plant there are various chemical constituents are isolated, these are reported as 3,4-Seco-lup-20 (29)-en-3-oic acid, stigmasterol, lupeol, and campetosterol, indirubin, Indigotin, tryptanthrin, anthranillate, isatin, and rutin Triacontanol, cycloeucalenol, Wrightial, cycloartenone, Alpha-Amyrin, β-amyrin, and β-sitosterol, 14α-methylzymosterol. The four uncommon sterols, clerosterol, desmosterol, 24-methylene-25-methylcholesterol, and 24-dehydropollinastanol, are isolated and they are identified in the addition to several more common phytosterols. The leaves contains Triterpinoids components and pods of Wrightia tinctoria also isolated. The article intends to provide an overview of the presence of the chemical constituents in the various parts of the Inderjao plants and their pharmacognostical evaluation and pharmacological actions.
MEDICINAL USES OF INDRAJAO:-
- The preparation of decoction of Inderjao and nagarmotha mix with honey is used in the treatment of bleeding dysentery in small children.
- The cold decoction of Inderjao with saunth is used to treat bleeding piles.
- The Inderjao powder is useful in the treatment of indigestion, abdominal pain, and also use to stimulate low digestive fire.
- The roasted powder of Inderjao is recommended in the treatment of vomiting.
- The powder of Inderjao also used in the treatment of chronic lung disorders and chronic asthma.
- In the cases of puyedant (pyorrhoea) the powder of Inderjao is rubbed over the gum and teeth to relieve pain and excessive bleeding.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF INDERJAO:-
- DEEPAN-PACHAN – Inderjao stimulate low digestive fire, and it helps to increase the appetite. It gave relief in colic pain and flatus. It also treat abdominal distention in children.
- KRIMIGHANA – Inderjao used to kill the harmful worms such as ringworm and threadworm present in the gut.
- JAWARHARA – The herb Inderjao is very beneficial to treat the fever, and it also helps treat the shivering, cold sweating, excessive thirst, and burning sensation.
- BALYA – The regular use of Inderjao herb provide strength to the body. It also gave energy to the body, and helps to overcome general weakness.
- PATHRI – The Inderjao is very effective herb to remove the stones. It is used to remove the kidney stones. This herb is also very useful to fight against other body infections associated with this essential system of the body.
- RAKTA-ARSHA – The regular use of this herb is helps to reduce the swelling and inflammation of the blood vessels in piles. It also helps to treat the bleeding and painful piles.
- SHWAAS – This herb helps to treat the congestion of respiratory track and also helps to excrete phlegm. This herb also helpful in the treatment of asthma and chronic cough, and it helps to reduce the inflammation of the respiratory tract.
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF INDERJAO:-
- Inderjao is the best herb used to treat chronic diarrhea and amoebic dysentery.
- This is also very useful herb used in the treatment of various gut related problems in small infants.
- This herbs is used to kill harmful worms of the intestine.
- This herb helps to stimulate the immune system.
- It provide the strength to body cells.
- This herb acts as best rejuvenating agent for the body cells.
- It helps to repair the damaged cells of the body.
- Inderjao has natural anti-oxidant properties that helps to fight free radicles.
- It has anti-microbial properties that helps to fight various kionds of bacteria and virus infections.
- It is very helpful in the treatment of urinary tract infections.
- The bark powder of Inderjao herb is an herbal remedy to treat bad mouth odor, swollen and bleeding gums. It also cures many other dental issues.
- Inderjao has anti-diabetic properties. This herb helps to reduce the increased levels of glucose in the blood stream. This herb also helps to regulate the insulin secretions in the body.
- Inderjao is also used in the treatment of various types of skin disorders, such as scabies, eczema, leprosy, and fungal infections.
- Inderjao also known to reduce the inflammation, pain, swelling, and stiffness of the joints. This herb is beneficial in the patients who are suffering from gout and arthritis.
- It treats the indigestion, and also gave relief in the condition of chronic constipation, sour blenching, and distension of the abdomen.
- The external use of paste of this herb boost the process of healing, treat infected wound, and oozing ulcers of the skin.
- The herb Inderjao is also potent to fight against cancerous cells.
- This herb is good to treat colon cancer, breast cancer, oral cancer, and lung cancers.
- The decoction of this wonderful herb Inderjao is helps to treat the ano-rectal problems.