Immune thrombocytopenic purpura is an autoimmune disorder characterized by a low platelet count and mucocutaneous bleeding. Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) is a disorder that can lead to easy or very fast bruising and bleeding. The bleeding mainly because of unusually low levels of platelets — the cells that help blood clot.
A patient’s immune system produces antibodies directed against platelet antigens, resulting in platelet destruction and suppression of platelet production in the bone marrow.
Immune thrombocytopenic purpura is classified as primary or secondary and as acute (of six months or less in duration) or chronic.
Affected children are young (peak age, approximately five years) and previously healthy, and they typically present with the sudden onset of petechiae or purpura a few days or weeks after an infectious illness.
Patients with Immune Thrombocytopenia Purpura are, therefore, at risk of serious bleeding events. In children, ITP is usually acute, with the majority of cases resolving spontaneously. In adults, ITP is more likely to be chronic, requiring individualised monitoring and treatment to maintain platelet counts at a safe level to prevent serious bleeding events.
What are the types of ITP (Immune thrombocytopenia purpura)?
There are basically two forms of ITP (Immune thrombocytopenia purpura) mentioned below:
- Acute thrombocytopenic purpura: Acute ITP is more common is children between the ages of 2 to 6 years. In this type the symptoms may be due to viral infections that disappear in within in a few weeks or less than six month. It is the common form of disorder.
- Chronic thrombocytopenia purpura: This type of ITP can occur at any age & last from six months to several years. In adults this type is more common. Mostly females are affected with this as compare to males.
Signs and symptoms
The signs and symptoms of ITP are highly variable. In adults, ITP usually has an insidious onset, with no preceding illness.Nearly one-quarter of patients present asymptomatically and receive a diagnosis of ITP through incidental routine blood tests.
Symptomatic patients can present with:
- Petechiae or purpura (Figure 5)
- Unusual or easy bruising (haematoma)
- Persistent bleeding symptoms from cuts or other injuries
- Mucosal bleeding (Figure 5)
- Frequent or heavy nose bleeds (epistaxis)
- Haemorrhage from any site (usually gingival or menorrhagia in women)
- Bleeding in the head
- Excessive Vaginal bleeding during menstruation
- Yellow discoloration of the skin
- During surgeries excessive bleeding
What are the Causes for ITP (Immune thrombocytopenia purpura)?
Immune thrombocytopenia purpura attacks the body’s immune system mistakenly & destroys the platelets that help for blood clot. In children this disorder is due to viral illness including flu or mumps. In adults, it may be due to infections like H.pylori, hepatitis, & HIV, systemic lupus erythematosus, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, etc.
What is the Ayurvedic view of ITP (Immune thrombocytopenia purpura)?
According to Ayurveda ITP is correlated with “Tiryaga Raktapitta” in which all three doshas (Vata, Pitta, & Kapha) are vitiated. In this disorder the vitiated doshas are circulating in the blood stream that destroys the platelet cells in the body.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment for ITP (Immune thrombocytopenia purpura)?
Ayurveda is the best way to treat ITP as in allopathic only steroids are given to the patients. In Ayurveda there are numerous herbs present in nature that works on the root cause of disease. These herbs deal with all signs & symptoms related to ITP patients. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides a complete kit for ITP patients known as “ITP Care Kit”. This kit comprises of six products that are mentioned below in detail:
1. Noni Capsules
Noni capsules have been used for thousands of years to help in treating a variety of health problems such as high blood pressure, inflammation, parasitic, viral and bacterial infections. It contains fruit of a Polynesian plant that’s commonly called the Indian Mulberry, Morinda Citrifoliua. The capsules reduce the small red bumps on your skin, excessive fatigue and Useful for preventing free radicals damage of platelets.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 capsules twice a day with normal water.
2. Stop Bleeding Tablets
CAC stop bleeding tablet is a pure herbal formulation that acts as an anticoagulant in nature. it helps to stop or reduce heavy bleeding. when there is bleeding, the body forms clots to stop the bleeding. in some of these clots leads to bleeding after breakage. therefore stop bleeding tablet helps in stopping the clots from breaking and thus reduce the excessive unwanted bleeding. these tablets have anti-inflammatory, pain killer, anticoagulant properties. It also pacifies pitta doshas and helps in detoxification of rakta dhatu (blood tissue).
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice a day with normal water.
3. Detox Premium Powder
The powder contains a mixture of natural and pure herbs which plays a major role in the treatment of ITP. The mixture contains – Tal sindoor, Gandhak rasayan, Akik pishti, Jahar mohra, Moti pishti. This combination has Antibacterial, Antimicrobial, Antiviral, Broad Spectrum Antibiotic, Anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps in strengthening the immune system, reduces oxidative damage, and they are rich in minerals, vitamins and other essential elements which helps in tissue repair and healthy blood formation in the body.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice a day with normal water.
4. Panchasakar Churna
Panchasakar churna is a mixture of 4 types of herbal powder along with salt – Shunthi (Zingiber officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Trivrith (Operculina turpethum), Pippali (Piper longum) and Sauvarchala lavana. It improves digestion, reduces stress, anxiety, helps in managing the pain, supports the healthy immune system and calms mental processes and fosters a healthy sleep pattern.
Recommended Dosage -Take 1 teaspoonful with Luke warm water at bedtime.
5. Platfer Tablet
These are herbal combination prepared from herbs like Papaya (Carica papaya) & Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) that in combination increases the platelet counts naturally. It provides good & effective results for patients. It increases the physical and mental strength of a person and builds up immunity.
Recommended Dosage –Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
6. Nerve up Tablet
Nerve up tablets help in balancing the vata doshas. It reduces kapha dosha, and acts as nervine stimulant. It shows effective results in improving the central nervous system. It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchala, shudha shilajeet, abhrak bhasma, praval pishti, shankh bhasma etc. This tablet helps in the symptoms related to ITP.
Recommended Dosage– Take 1 tablet twice daily.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for ITP (Immune thrombocytopenia purpura)?
As ITP patient is already weak so there is no need for panchakarma treatment. Instead of that the ayurvedic treatment that is mentioned above is sufficient for ITP patients. Regular use of ITP care kit will provide good & long-lasting results to the patients.
Healthy Tips & Diet for ITP Patients
- Drink pomegranate juice daily you can also add carrot, beetroot in it.
- Include green vegetables like spinach, coriander, fenugreek, kale, etc in diet.
- Avoid processed, fried, French fries, burgers, noodles, maida, and spicy food items.
- Drink green coconut water daily.
- Also include bottle gourd, ridge gourd, bitter gourd, pumpkin, cabbage, cauliflower, carrot, beetroot, radish, turnip, etc.
- Avoid excessive salt and red chilies.
- Papaya leaves juice & its fruit is very good for ITP patients.
- Include fruits like kiwi, apple, pear, peach, papaya, pomegranate, etc & avoid citrus fruits.
- You can drink goat milk but avoid other milk & milk products.
- Include whole grains, lentils, vegetables, & fresh fruits in daily routine.
- Avoid non-vegetarian diet but you can have two boiled egg white.
- Walk daily for 30 minutes at least.
- Drink wheatgrass & aloe vera juice daily.
- Do perform yoga poses & pranayam to keep your body fit & disease free.