How to Treat Ulcerative Colitis Through Ayurveda?
What is Ulcerative Colitis?
Ulcerative colitis is a chronic, or long-lasting disease inflammatory disease of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, that causes inflammation and sores called ulcers on the inner lining of the large intestine (colon) and rectum. It is also called inflammatory bowel disease.
This disease can occur in people of any age but is more likely to develop in people between the ages group of 15 and 30 or older than 60.
What Causes Ulcerative Colitis?
The main cause of ulcerative colitis is not known. But most of the researchers believe that various factors may play a role in causing ulcerative colitis such as:
- Genetics: Inherit a gene from a parent also increases the risk.
- Other immune disorders: Suffering from one type of immune disorder increases the risk of developing a second are higher.
- Environmental factors: Bacteria, viruses, and other antigens may trigger the immune system.
Most of the people believe that eating certain foods, stress, or emotional distress can cause ulcerative colitis. But emotional distress is not the cause of ulcerative colitis. Many studies have shown that stress may increase the chances of flare-ups.
What are the Types of Ulcerative Colitis?
Ulcerative colitis is classified according to its location. Types of ulcerative colitis are:
- Ulcerative proctitis: This is usually the mildest type and in this type, inflammation is confined to the part of the colon closest to the anus. Rectal bleeding may be the only sign of this condition.
- Proctosigmoiditis: There is an involvement of inflammation in the rectum and sigmoid colon (lower end of the colon). Bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramps and an inability to move the bowels despite urgency (tenesmus) are the symptoms involved.
- Left-sided colitis: Inflammation starts from the rectum and extends up to the sigmoid and descending colon. Symptoms include blood mixed up with diarrhea, abdominal cramps on the left side of the abdomen, and unintended weight loss.
- Pancolitis: Pancolitis involves the entire colon and causes extreme bouts of bloody diarrhea abdominal cramps, fatigue, etc.
- Acute severe ulcerative colitis: This is a rare form of ulcerative colitis that affects the entire colon and causes pain, heavy diarrhea with blood, and fever.
What are the Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis?
The symptoms of ulcerative colitis may vary and depends upon the severity of the inflammation and the part of the intestine where it occurs. In the initial phase of ulcerative colitis, most people have mild to moderate symptoms and about 10 percent of people can have severe symptoms.
The most common symptom of ulcerative colitis is diarrhea mixed with blood or pus and abdominal discomfort. Other signs and symptoms include
- The urgency to have a bowel movement
- Feeling tired
- weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain and cramping
- Rectal pain and bleeding
- Anemia—a condition in which the body has fewer red blood cells than normal
Less common symptoms include:
- Joint pain or weakness
- Eye irritation
- Skin rashes
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment for Ulcerative Colitis?
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre is providing you the wonderful Ayurvedic kit for curing ulcerative colitis which is Ulcerative Colitis Care Kit. This kit will work on the root cause of the disease and it contains various herbs that have been used in Ayurveda for many years for the treatment of ulcerative colitis. This kit contains- Detox premium powder, pitshekhar ras, kutajaghan Vati, UTI care tablet, Amalpitmishran Syrup, and Liver care tablet.
1. Detox Premium Powder
Detox premium powder is herbal-mineral sachet which shows wonderful results in ulcerative colitis. It contains ingredients like prawal pishti, shukta pishti, Giloy satv, kehrva pishti, Jahar Mohra pishti, sutshekhar ras, shankh bhasma, kamdudha ras, moti bhasma. This combination will remove the ama (toxins) from the body and will show effective results in the signs and symptoms of ulcerative colitis patients like bleeding tendencies, weakness, abdominal pain, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
2. Pitshekhar Ras
Pitshekhar Ras is the herbal formulation used to balance pitta dosha which is the main cause of ulcerative colitis. Its basic function is to balance pitta dosha because it provides a cooling effect to the body. It comprises of Shuddha Gandhak, Shankh Bhasma, Tankan Bhasma, Tamra Bhasma, Sonth, Pippali, Maricha, Dalchini, Bael, Tejpata, etc. It also provides relief in associated symptoms like headache, heaviness, burning sensation, acidic reflux, abdominal pain, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water after 30 mins of a meal.
3. Kutaja Ghan Vati
Kutaja Ghan Vati is an effective herbal formulation without any side effects. It comprises of herbal ingredients like Kutaj, Shankh bhasma, & Musta which help to treat chronic diarrhea associated with ulcerative colitis. This tablet improves the digestions and removes harmful toxins from the body. It also reduces rectal bleeding, colon inflammation, and abdominal cramps.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water 30 mins after a meal.
4. UTI Care Tablets
UTI care tablet is a pure herbo-mineral ayurvedic formulation that works on the root cause of diseases without having any side effects. The ingredients present in it are Yavakshar, Karmi Shora, Nuashadar, and Swarna Gairik. These ingredients show antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These tablets reduce burning micturition and also useful in dysuria, pelvic pain, urine incontinence, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with plain water after meal.
5. Amalpitmishran Syrup
Amalpitmishran Syrup comprises of herbs like Vasa( Adhatoda vasica), Amla(Emblica Officinalis), Guduchi(Tinospora cordifolia), Haritaki(Terminalia chebula), Neem(Azadirachta indica), Bhringraj(Eclipta alba), Bahera(Terminalia bellirica), Yashtimadhu(Glycyrrhiza glabra), Mukta shukta bhasam, etc. These herbs help to treat hyperacidity, vomiting, nausea, headache, abdominal cramps, etc. As per Ayurveda, this formulation balances the vitiated pitta dosha in the body which is the main cause of ulcerative colitis.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
6. Liver Care Tablet
The Liver care tablet is also herbo mineral formulation which works on the vitiated doshas in the body. It consists of ingredients like Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata), Giloy(Tinospora Cordifolia), Bhumi amla( Phyllanthus niruri), Kutaki(Picrorhiza kurroa), Yavakshar( Hordeum vulgare), Imli Kshar( Tamarindus indica), Mukta Shukta pisti, etc. Its main function is to improve the blood circulation in the liver and treats burning sensation, removes toxins, reduces inflammation, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take one tablet twice daily with plain water after a meal.