How to Treat Insomnia Naturally with Herbal Medicines?
Sleep is a natural phenomenon for the mind and body to rest, detoxify, reset and rejuvenate. Sleep is essential; both cognitive and physiological functioning. It gets disturbed which results in insomnia. A common sleep disorder that makes it difficult for a person to fall asleep, hard to stay asleep, or makes you get up too early and unable to fall asleep again. The person feels lazy and tired of waking up. Your energy level and mood get sapped due to insomnia it also affects your health, work performance, and lifestyle.
The condition can be acute or short term or can be chronic that lasts for a longer time. insomnia lasts from 1 night to 1-2 weeks known as acute insomnia when it lasts for 3 nights a week or more than 3 months or more is termed as chronic insomnia. It may results in many problems during the day, such as low energy, tiredness, poor concentration, and irritability. The risk of insomnia increases in old-age and with serious diseases, such as cancer, heart patients.
Although it is generally believed that 10% to 15% of the adult population suffers from the condition of insomnia. People over the age of 65 are affected more often than younger people and it has been shown that females are more often affected than males. Insomnia can be triggered by your behaviors and sleep patterns.
Treatment for insomnia can include psychological, behavioral, medical or some combination.
- Stressful life
- Environmental factors like excessive noise, light or extreme temperatures.
- Heart problems
- Too much intake of alcohol
- Physical injuries
- Hormonal disturbance in females
- Disturbed lifestyle such as eating too late or heavy in the night
- Medications –glucosamine, ace inhibitors, ssri antidepressants, beta-blockers, statins, etc.
- Other factors – parasites, genetic conditions, pregnancy, overactive mind, etc.
- Intake of caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol in excess
Insomnia symptoms may include:
- In between waking up during the night
- Hard to fall asleep at night
- Waking up too early
- The feeling of laziness after a night’s sleep
- Sleepiness or Daytime tiredness
- Irritability, anxiety or depression
- Difficulty in focusing on tasks or paying attention or remembering
- Increased accidents
- Ongoing worries about sleep
- Severe headache
- Gastro-intestinal distress
- Fatigue or low energy
- Behavior problems, such as feeling impulsive or aggressive.
- Primary insomnia– In this, the person is having sleep problems that are not directly associated with any other health condition or problems.
- Secondary insomnia–In this, the person is having sleep problems because of health conditions like asthma, depression, arthritis, cancer or heartburn.
- Acute insomnia– It is a very common type and lasts for a few days or weeks. It may be due to stress or life events and most people recover naturally.
- Chronic insomnia– It lasts for a month or more and is likely to cause problems like fatigue, concentration or mood changes.
Consequences of insomnia:
- Decreases libido
- impairment of cognitive ability
- Impairs the judgment capacity
- Weight gain and obesity
- Increase the incidence of depression
- Old age above 60 years
- Mental disorders
- Changing shifts
- Regular night shifts
- Traveling long distance
What is an Ayurvedic View on Insomnia?
‘Nidranasha’ or ‘Anidra’ is a term of Ayurveda used for loss of sleep. Nidranasha is the difficulty in maintaining sound sleep or waking up early without complete sleep and unable to sleep again, or waking up with a feeling of tiredness and exhaustion. According to the Ayurvedic perspective, the disease is responsible due to Tarpak Kapha, Sadhak Pitta or Prana Vata.
Tarpak Kapha is a sub-dosha of Kapha; it nourishes the brain cells and facilitates a good sleep at night time. Imbalance of Tarpak Kapha dosha causes poor nourishment of brain cells, leading to insomnia. Sadhak pitta is a sub-dosha of Pitta and controls the emotions, desires, spirituality. Prana vata is a subtype of Vata and is linked to insomnia, worry, anxiety, etc. Prana Vata causes the nervous system sensitive, this sensitive nervous system coupled with an aggravated Prana vata leading to insomnia.
- Lavender- It is an herbal tonic to our nervous system. Massage of lavender oil helps to induce sleep.
- Lettuce: Lettuce is full of sedative properties and it is useful in insomnia.
- Kava- kava is a drink helps to relax and soothe our body and feel us fresh.
- Warm milk- one glass of warm milk make us relaxed and getting closer to fall sleep.
- Chamomile- 1/2 glass of juice of chamomile flowers or a teaspoon of chamomile flowers play a vital role to treat insomnia
- Cherry- raw cherry fruit or one glass of cherry juice also helps to treat insomnia because of melatonin.
- Banana- eat some slices of banana before going to bed because banana contains serotonin a chemical in the brain that helps us to sleep
- Use whole-wheat flour and brown rice instead of refined varieties.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks, alcohol, and aerated drinks after dusk.
- Avoid watching television or working on the computer late at night.
- Create a quiet, dark atmosphere. Use clean, fresh sheets and pillow. Keep the room temperature comfortable.
- Tomatoes, Grapes, Cherries, Chickpeas, Mushrooms, Bell peppers, Banana, Walnuts are very beneficial for improving sleep quality.
- Reduce salt intake in the diet, it can cause high blood pressure which also affects sleep.
- Exercise regularly to control stress levels both physical and mental.
- Shavasana, Supta mastsyendrasana, Surya bhedna, Supta baddha konasana, Viparti karani, Halasana are some of the yoga asanas which helps to reduce the stress, keep the mind calm, and induces the sleep.
Instead of using allopathic medicines you should use natural treatment which is very beneficial to treat the condition of insomnia. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provided you the best Ayurvedic remedies that help you to get rid of insomnia known as “Insomnia Go Kit’’
1. Detox Standard Powder
It is a mixture of natural herbs especially made for relaxation of mind and enhances the quality of sleep. The powder consists of ingredients like– Giloy satva, Jahar mohra, Gandhak rasayan, Shukta pishti, etc. This remedy helps to reduce fatigue and an excellent health promoter. Detox standard powder is mainly used in conditions such as restlessness, headache, weakness of heart muscles, depression, high blood pressure, etc. Regular use of medicine subsides all the above-mentioned conditions and improves sleep.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice a day with normal water.
2. Brodley Syrup
Brodley syrup is considered as 100% natural, pure, organic and has no coloring, artificial flavors, and preservatives. It is an excellent source for naturally inducing sleep. The syrup contains herbs like – Yashti madhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Dhania (Coriandrum sativum), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), etc. It is rich in anti-oxidants and good for the functioning of your brain and improves nerve functioning.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 teaspoonfuls twice a day with normal water.
3. Brain relaxant churna
It is a herbal and purely ayurvedic formulation. It is 100% natural and pure. It is prepared from herbs that show the calming effect on the brain and gives you relaxation. It contains various herbs like Amla, Sonth, Pippali, Marich, Haldi, Bala, Suddha Gandhak, Lauh bhasma, etc. that are Stressbuster and provide you relief from anxiety. Herbs present in CAC Brain relaxant churna show antioxidant, Neuroprotective, carminative and anti-inflammatory properties.
4. Stress care tablet
It is an amazing combination of natural herbs like Sarpgandha, Brahmi, Tagar, jatamansi. It helps to relieve stress conditions. They help to pacify the nervous system and also helps to increase mental and physical performance.
In Ayurveda when there is an imbalance of three energies i.e. Vata, pitta and Kapha, it leads to disease. Vata has a sub dosha named prana doshas which regulates the sensory perception, brain, and mind. Tarpak Kapha subtype of kapha, governs cerebrospinal fluid, sadhak pitta subtype of pitta doshas governs emotions and their impact on the heart. So any vitiation of these doshas leads to stress.
DOSAGE: 1-2 tablets a day after meal
5. Mann Mitra tablet
CAC Mann Mitra tablet is herbal and purely ayurvedic medicine. It is used in Ayurvedic treatment for psychiatric conditions and helps to balance all the three doshas of body i.e Vata, pitta, Kapha. CAC Mann Mitra tablet improves intelligence and speech problems. It helps make the nervous system strong and nerves as well. It contains various herbs like Bala, Vacha, Shankhpushpi, Nagkeshar, etc that help you fight insomnia, anxiety, and stress. It works as an antioxidant, antidepressant, immune booster, anti-epileptic and as a neuroprotective drug.
DOSAGE: 2 tablets a day after meal