How to Treat Constipation through Ayurveda?
Constipation occurs when there is a less frequent bowel movements and stools become difficult to pass. It happens when the colon absorbs too much water from waste products (stool/poop) which makes the stool dry and making it hard in consistency and difficult to push out of the body.
What is Constipation?
Constipation occurs when there is a less frequent bowel movements and stools become difficult to pass. Having less than three bowel movements in a week is termed as constipation. Some of the people may have bowel movements several times a day while others have one to two times a week. Whatever be their bowel movement pattern is, it’s unique and normal for them – as long as they don’t stray too far from the pattern.
What are the Causes of Constipation?
There are several causes of constipation like lifestyle changes, medications, medical conditions, and pregnancy.
Other causes are
- Eating low fiber diet
- Not drinking plenty of water (dehydration).
- Lack of exercise
- Eating large amounts of milk products
- Stress, anxiety
- Resisting the urgency of having a bowel movement
- Certain medications like high calcium antacids and pain medications
- Underlying medical problems
- Some medical problems that cause constipation such as stroke, Parkinson’s disease, and diabetes
- Colon or rectum related problems like intestinal obstruction, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), etc
- Overuse of laxatives
- Hormones related problems, including an underactive thyroid gland
What are the Symptoms of Constipation?
Symptoms of chronic constipation include:
- Passing stools less than three stools per week
- Having lumpy or hard stools
- Strain during bowel movements
- Feeling of blockage in the rectum that prevents bowel movements
- Feeling of fullness after passing the stool
- Using your hands to press on the abdomen and use of finger to remove stool from the rectum
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Constipation?
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre is providing you good & effective Panchakarma therapies along with the ayurvedic formulations. These Panchakarma therapies cleanse the bowel by working on the root cause of the disease and cures it permanently. The various effective therapies recommended to constipation patients are mentioned below:
- Virechan: In this procedure medicated ghrita is given orally to the patients after that sarvanga sevda is given. After this these Ayurvedic formulations are given for therapeutic purgation that cleans the colon and improves digestion.
- Basti: Anuvasana Basti with a dashmoola tail or pippalyadi tail is administered to the patients who are suffering from constipation. Sometimes Niruha Basti that contains dashmoola kwath, honey, saindhav lavana, & pippalyadi taila is also given to patients.
- Phalavarti: In this medicated suppositories constipation is given to the patients for the treatment of constipation.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment for Constipation?
Chandigarh Ayurved center is providing you the best Ayurvedic treatment for curing acute as well as chronic constipation by working not only on the symptoms but also on the root cause of the disease. We are providing you a wonderful kit named as “colon cleanse kit” which contains effective Ayurvedic formulations like Panchsakar churna, Amrit ras, Hingavdi Vati, and Yakrit vati. These formulations are not habit-forming and have no side effects.
1. Panchsakar Churna
Panchsakar churna a classical Ayurvedic formulation that has been mentioned in Ayurveda textbooks and used by Acharayas for many ages. This churna contains various herbal ingredients like Balaharitaki, Swarnapatri, Shatapushpa, Shunthi, & Saindhav lavana. It shows antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and laxative properties. It also helps in eliminating (ama) harmful toxins from the body & shows good results in chronic constipation and its associated signs & symptoms.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful at bedtime with warm water.
2. Amrit Ras
Amrit ras is an Ayurvedic herbal juice prepared from herbs like Amalaki, Haritaki, Bibhitaki, Ghrit Kumari, Giloy, & Tulsi. This effective combination of herbs contains antioxidant, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and laxative properties. The regular use of this juice makes the stool soft and easy to pass every morning.
Recommended Dosage: Take 20 ml with an equal amount of water twice daily.
3 Triphala Capsules
Triphala capsules are formulated with ingredients like Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Amla (Emblica officinalis), and Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica). These ingredients possess laxative, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory properties. These capsules increase digestive power that makes stool soft, and also other symptoms like abdominal bloating, pain, heaviness, belching, etc related to constipation.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 capsules twice daily with normal water.
4. Liver Care Tablet
Liver care tablet is a formulation with various effective herbal ingredients such as Kalmegh(Andrographis paniculata), Giloy(Tinopora Cordifolia), Bhumi amla( phyllanthus niruri), Kutaki(Picrorhiza kurroa), Yavakshar( Hordeum vulgare), Imli Kshar( Tamarindus indica), Mukta Shukta pist etc. These ingredients work on the liver by improving digestion and treat symptoms like abdominal bloating, indigestion, hard stools, hyperacidity, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
5. Sheet Shara Syrup
This herbal syrup is prepared with ingredients like mushak kapoor, ajwain satav, peppermint, etc. As the name suggests, this syrup provides cooling effect to the body and provides relief in the symptoms like feeling of discomfort, blenching, nausea, abdominal bloating vomiting, etc. It also neutralizes the acidic content and treats acidity, loss of appetite, nausea, heart burn etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take half teaspoonful of this syrup in half a cup of water. Drink this mixture twice daily on an empty stomach.
Here are some of the healthy tips and diet for reducing constipation:
- Drink plenty of water daily
- Avoid eat fast & processed food items.
- Eat high rich fiber diet like apple, ripe banana, bottle gourd, papaya, ridge gourd, spinach, carrot, turnip, radish, tomato, green leafy vegetables, whole grains, nuts, etc.
- Drink green coconut water and reddish juice.
- Avoid white rice but you can take brown rice in small quantities.
- Avoid cold drinks, alcohol, ice creams, smoking, etc
- Take 2 to 3 figs and soak them in a glass of water overnight. Eat them on an empty stomach in the early morning.
- Add a teaspoonful of castor oil in a glass of warm milk and drink it at bedtime.
- Practice yoga poses like pawanmuktasana, baddha konasana, halasana, sarvangasana, mayurasana, balasana, mandukasana, uttanasana, kumarasana, vakrasana, etc.
Do meditation regularly