How to treat Conjunctivitis in Ayurveda?
Pink eye (conjunctivitis) is an inflammation or infection of the transparent membrane (conjunctiva) that lines the inner surface of the eyelid and covers the white part of the eye. When there is inflammation in the small blood vessels in the conjunctiva, they’re more visible. This condition causes the white part of your eyes to appear reddish or pink so it is also known as “pink eye”. It is caused especially in children that can affect one or both eyes. This condition is highly contagious and spreads easily in office workers, store employees, preschoolers, schoolchildren, college students, teachers, and child care workers. These are more particularly at risk for the contagious types of pink eye because they work closely with others.
Three types of Conjunctivitis:
Depending upon the cause, there are three different types of conjunctivitis, depending on the cause.
- Chemical or irritant conjunctivitis: Irritation causes inflammation and sore in the eyes. These irritants can be an eyelash which is normally misdirected into the eye, or chlorine after swimming in a pool.
- Allergic conjunctivitis: In this type, the allergen comes into contact with the eye like dust mites, pollen, or animal fur. This causes an overreaction in the immune system which causes irritation and inflammation.
- Infective conjunctivitis: This type of conjunctivitis makes the eyes red or pink and watery due to bacterial or viral infection. This also causes a sticky coating on the eyelashes and mucus in the eyes.
What Causes Conjunctivitis?
There are various causes of conjunctivitis:
- Viruses that cause diseases like the common cold
- Bacterial injection
- Various irritants like smoke, dust, pool chlorine, etc
- The reaction of eye drops
- Parasites, amoeba, and fungi
- It is also caused due to Sexually Transmitted diseases like gonorrhea, chlamydia, etc.
- The bacteria in your body can pass pinkeye to your baby through your birth canal.
What are the symptoms of Conjunctivitis?
You may experience the following symptoms:
- Pink or red-colored toned eyes
- Gritty feeling in the eyes
- Watery or thick discharge that builds up on your eyes especially at night
- Itchiness in your eyes
- Swollen eyelids
- An abnormal amount of tears from the eyes
- Redness in the eyes due to irritation and widening of the tiny blood vessels in the conjunctiva
- Increased sensitivity to light
Other symptoms like:
- Swollen lymph nodes: The lymph node Present in the ear becomes tender and swollen.
- Respiratory tract infection: The person may experience flu-like symptoms, such as fever, headache, aching limbs, and sore throat.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment for Conjunctivitis?
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre is providing you an overall treatment for eye problems in the form of ‘’conjunctivitis Go Kit’’. The kit comprises of herbal and natural ingredients which are very beneficial for curing all eye-related problems. The kit contains a total of 4 products in it named – JivantiyadiGhrita, Triphala Guggulu, Detox Premium Powder, Amrit Tulsi ras, and Roshni eye drops. The formulations in this kit are pure, natural and are free from preservatives, fillers, chemicals, additives, and have no side effects.
Description of products:
1. Mahatriphala ghrita:
Mahatriphala ghrita is a polyherbal Ayurvedic formulation that Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Bhringraj swarasa (Eclipta alba), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Shatavari (Asparagus racemosa), Amla (Emblica officinalis), vasa (Adhatoda vasica), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Ajakshira, etc in it. This classical herbal formulation has antioxidant, anti-diabetic, anti-microbial, rejuvenating, anti-inflammatory, and neuro-protective properties. It treats conditions like glaucoma, conjunctivitis, myopia, cataract, etc. It helps in the proper functioning of the extraocular muscles This ghrita soothes the eye and helps in improving the vision.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful twice a day with normal water.
2. Triphala Guggulu:
Triphala guggulu is a classical herbal formulation that has been used in Ayurveda since ancient times. As per the name suggests, it comprises of three main medicinal herbs such as Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), and Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica). It helps in the balancing of vitiated doshas and treats signs and symptoms related to conjunctivitis. It also helps in improving eye vision, treats eye strain, burning sensation in the eyes, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice a day with normal water.
3. Detox Premium Powder:
Detox Premium powder is a herbo mineral formulation that contains Tal sindoor, Akik pishti, Jahar mohra, Gandhak rasayan, Moti pishti, etc. Being an antioxidant, it eliminates out the infection from the body. It cures blurred vision, difficulty in seeing in the dark, fuzzy spots, etc. This is the natural treatment for conjunctivitis.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice a day with normal water.
4. Amrit Tulsi Ras:
Amrit Tulsi ras is mainly prepared from five types of Tulsi named Kapoor Tulsi (Ocimum canum), Rama Tulsi (Ocimum gratissimum), Shwet Tulsi (Ocimum basilicum), Shama Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum), and Nimba Tulsi (Ocimum citriodorum). It shows good results in allergic conjunctivitis and symptoms related to it like Dry eyes, eye infections, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take two to three drops twice daily.
5. Roshni Eye Drops:
Roshni eye drops are formulated with the best and effective natural herbs for providing longevity to the eyes. These eye drops provide strength to the eyes and are also useful in curing problems like frequent travel, lack of sleep, a long time working on a computer, etc. It prevents the eyes from infections and clears off dust particles in the eyes that cause irritation, redness, itching, watery, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Put 2 drops in each eye twice a day.