How to Cure Epilepsy by Herbal Medicines
A disorder in which activity of nerve cells in the brain is disturbed, causing seizures. It is also known as a Seizure disorder.
Epilepsy also occur as a result of a genetic disorder or an acquired brain injury, such as a trauma or stroke.
During a seizure, a person experiences abnormal signs and symptoms, behavior and sensations, sometimes including loss of consciousness. There are few symptoms between seizures.
A mild seizure may be difficult to recognize. It can last for few seconds during which you lack awareness, conscious.
Stronger seizures can cause spasms and uncontrollable muscle twitches and movement, and can last a few seconds to several minutes. During a stronger seizure, some people become confused or lose consciousness. Afterward you may have no memory of it happening
Anyone can develop epilepsy, but it’s more common in young children and older adults. It occurs slightly more common in males than in females. Epilepsy affects more than 50 million people worldwide.
What are the Types of Epilepsy?
There are mainly two types of Epilepsy (Seizure)
- Focal Seizure
- Generalized Seizure
- Focal Seizure
When seizure appears to result from abnormal activity in just one area of the brain. These seizures fall into two categories
- Focal seizure without loss of consciousness– They may alter emotions or change the way things like look, smell, feel, taste or sound. A Focal seizure may also result in involuntary jerking of a body part, such as an arm or leg.
- Focal seizure with impaired awareness– The seizure involves a change or loss of awareness. In this, you may not respond normally to your environment or perform repetitive movements, such as hand rubbing, chewing, swallowing, etc.
- Generalized Seizure
Seizure that appears to involve all areas of the brain. They are of six types
- Absence seizure – They are characterized by subtle body movements such as eye blinking or lip smacking. The seizure may cause loss of consciousness.
- Tonic seizure– It mainly causes stiffening in the muscles. Tonic seizure mostly affects the muscles of arms, legs, back, and may cause you to fall on the ground.
- Atonic seizure– It causes a loss of muscle control, which may cause you to suddenly collapse or fall down.
- Clonic seizure– They are associated with repeated or rhythmic, jerking muscle movements. It usually affects the neck, face, and arms.
- Myoclonic seizure– It usually appears as sudden brief jerks or twitches of your arms and legs.
- Tonic-Clonic seizure– This is the most dramatic type of seizures, which cause an abrupt loss of consciousness, body stiffening, and shaking. Sometimes loss of bladder control can occur.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Epilepsy?
Epilepsy is caused by abnormal activity in the brain; a seizure can affect any process which your brain coordinates. Signs and Symptoms include-
- Temporary confusion
- Psychic symptoms such as fear, anxiety, & stress
- Jerking movements of the arms and legs that are not in control of an individual
- Loss of consciousness
- Intermittent fainting spells, in which bowel or bladder control is lost
- Changes in smell, touch, and sound
- Biting of the tongue
What are the Causes of Epilepsy?
Epilepsy can have both genetic and acquired causes. In about 60% of cases, the cause is unknown. Some common causes include –
- Genetics – Genetics is believed to be involved in the majority of cases, either directly or indirectly.
- Acquired – Epilepsy may occur a number of other conditions including tumors, strokes, head trauma, previous infection of the Central nervous system.
- Infectious diseases, such as meningitis, AIDS, and viral encephalitis.
- Developmental disorders – Epilepsy can sometimes be associated with autism and neurofibromatosis.
- Prenatal injury– Before birth, babies are sensitive to brain damage that is caused by an infection in the mother, poor nutrition.
- Head trauma as a result of car accidents or other traumatic injuries.
What triggers an epileptic seizure?
Some people are able to identify things or situations that can trigger seizures.
A few of the most commonly reported triggers are:
- lack of sleep
- illness or fever
- bright lights, flashing lights, or patterns
- caffeine, alcohol, medicines, or drugs
- skipping meals, overeating, or specific food ingredients
Identifying triggers isn’t always easy. A single incident doesn’t always mean something is a trigger. It’s often a combination of factors that trigger a seizure.
A good way to find your triggers is to keep a seizure journal. After each seizure, note the following:
- day and time
- what activity you were involved in
- what was happening around you
- unusual sights, smells, or sounds
- unusual stressors
- what you were eating or how long it had been since you’d eaten
- your level of fatigue and how well you slept the night before
What is an Ayurvedic view of Epilepsy?
In Ayurveda, it is termed as ‘Apasmara’. This disorder happens because of abnormal electrical activity in the brain leading to seizure or fits. In this condition, the patients convulse violently and may become unconscious or very confused. In Ayurveda, Epilepsy is classified into:
- Vataj Apasmara – It lasts for a shorter time, causes an increase in respiratory rate, & more secretion of foam from the mouth, etc.
- Pittaj Apasmara – It causes yellowish or reddish tint on the body, a lot of sweating, patient experience hotness in the body.
- Kaphaj Apasmara – Kaphaj Apasmara lasts for a relatively long time, the foam is whitish in color and the patient experiences heaviness in the body.
- Sannipatik Apasmara – It is caused by vitiation of all the three doshas and therefore has mixed characteristics.
What is an Ayurvedic Treatment for Epilepsy?
Our Ayurvedic medicines target the root cause of Epilepsy. Ayurvedic treatment supports the desired coordination of various parts of the brain with the help of herbs, minerals, and other classical drugs. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides you the ‘’Epilepsy Care Kit’’, which has a significant reduction in seizure frequency from the very first dosage. The kit includes- Detox Premium Powder, Brodley syrup, Brahmi capsules, Tagaradi Churna, all the ingredients provide the best result in the treatment of Epilepsy.
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL:
1. Detox Premium Powder
This formulation acts at the level of the nervous system and facilitate proper conduction of signal impulse from the nerves to the muscles. The powder contains – Moti pishti, Parwal pishti, Shukta pishti, Giloy satva, Kamdudha ras, Jahar mohra, Akik pishti, Gandhak rasayan, Tal sindoor, etc. These ingredients balance the three doshas in the body. This herbal powder provides relieve in psychosis, helps in mental weakness, decreased the ability to think, improves the memory power, and reduces the calcium level that hampers the brain functions.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice a day with normal water.
2. Brodley Syrup
This herbal formulation contains ingredients such as – Shankhpusphi, Brahmi, Yashtimadhu, Dhania, Saunf, etc. Brodley syrup increases the blood flow to the brain & boost up memory. It increases retention power & acts as an antioxidant. The herbal syrup is generally used to treat the mental weakness, mental disorders, stress, anxiety, & seizure attacks.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 teaspoonful twice a day with normal water.
3. Brahmi Capsule
These capsules are prepared from pure extract of the herb Brahmi. It is used as a natural brain tonic, relaxes the central nervous system, brain disorders, and mental relaxation. Brahmi capsule sharpens the brain by protecting cells, increasing learning and memory power. It has the best results in Epilepsy along with fighting stress.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 capsules twice a day with normal water.
4. Tagaradi Churna
This churna is very beneficial in neurological, psychological, and digestive disorders. In low dosage, it calms the mind, strengthens the nerves and prevents convulsions. It improves the strength of the heart muscles and helps in reducing the blood pressure. Tagaradi churna improves the quality of sleep, relaxes the mind, reduces mental stress, and induces the sound sleep. It elevates the mood and helps in maintaining all types of nervous disorders.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 teaspoonful twice a day with normal water.
5. Nerve up tablet
Nerve up tablets help in balancing the vata dosha and kapha dosha. It acts as nervine stimulant. It shows effective results in improving the central nervous system, reducing joint pain, stiffness, body weakness and insomnia. It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchala, shudha shilajeet, abhrak bhasma, praval pishti, shankh bhasma etc. This tablet helps in the symptoms related to Epilepsy patient.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily.
6. Rasayan Vati
Rasayan vati is herbo-mineral Ayurvedic formulation which contains various herbs such as Aswagandha, Shilajeet, Amla, Kesar, Musali, Shatavar, Brahmi Abhrak Bhasam, Swarn Makshik Bhasam, Yashad Bhasam, Mukta pisti, Praval pisti, Jaiphal, Vang Bhasam, Dalchini, Javitri, Gokhru, Kaunch Beej, Saunth, Marich, Pippali, Manjith, Anant Mool, Musali, Shatavar, Swarn Vang, etc. These ingredients show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, analgesic, immune-modulator properties. These tablets provide good results in General debility, Psychological disorders, and improve immunity.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Epilepsy?
The unique essence of Ayurvedic Treatment through a series of systematic treatment regime results and is achieved even in incurable disease. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides the best therapy for the prevention of the Epilepsy. All therapies are conducted under the supervision of an Ayurvedic Physician.
- Shirodhara – It is a procedure in which pouring of a medicated oil or decoction (kashaya) on the forehead. After that, your head is massaged with this herbal oil.
- Shirovasti – In this procedure, a long ring like structure is placed over your head. After that medicated oil is placed over the head for a specific period of time.
- Shiro pichu – It is a method in which small cotton or sponge is placed with oil over the head.
- Tala Potichil – In this procedure specially prepared paste applied over the head has the best results in Epilepsy.
- Shastika Shali Pinda Sweda – Medicated rice bolus, medicated milk is applied all over the body. This procedure is very beneficial in muscular wasting, neuromuscular disorders, and other degenerative procedures. It is the best Rejuvenation therapy.
- Tala Dhara – (Synchronized pouring of warm medicated oil & Abhyanga). In this procedure a continues pouring of medicated oil is given all over the body along with massage. It is beneficial in muscular, ligamentous injuries, neuropathy, and other degenerative conditions.
Healthy Tips and Diet for Epilepsy Patients
- It is very important for the patient to maintain their proper food timings and choose less spicy, less oily fresh food.
- Putting a few drops of warm pure ghee in both the nostrils regularly reduces the recurrence of Vataj and Pittaj apsamara.
- Meditation should be done regularly to ensure that stress does not disturb the electric activities in the brain.
- Have a well-balanced diet and eat at consistent times to avoid long periods without food.
- Low carbohydrates & high-fat diet are beneficial for reducing epilepsy.
- Foods such as bacon, eggs, butter, nuts, avocados, cheese, and fish are good for the epileptic patients.
- Balasana, Nadi Sodhna, Kapotanasana, Sirasana, Camatkarasana are very useful to reduce the symptoms of Epilepsy.
- Having epilepsy increases your risk of developing high blood pressure and prediabetes. With regular exercise, you should overcome these problems.
- Avoid white bread, non-wholegrain cereals, cakes, high sugar drinks, etc.