It is a bacterial infection that is caused by salmonella typhi can spread throughout the body, mainly infect the intestinal tract and occasionally the bloodstream. Typhoid fever is also known as enteric fever, without adopting treatment, it can cause serious complications and can be fatal.
Mode of spread :
- It is passed in the feces to some extent, the urine of infected people.
- Germs are spread by eating or drinking water or foods contaminated by feces from the infected people.
- Washing fruit and vegetables with contaminated water can spread it,
- Traveling to typhoid pandemic area.
Sign and symptoms of typhoid fever :
- Sustained fever that can be as high as 103–104°F.
- Small rose-colored spots on chest and abdomen
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
- Diarrhea or constipation
Other symptoms include :
- Body aches
- Bloody stools
- Severe fatigue
- Difficulty paying attention
- Confusion and hallucinations
People more prone to typhoid fever :
People are most at risk for the disease in developing nations where there is lacking of good sanitation and people have limited access to clean water and safe foods.
How it can be diagnosed?
- Simple blood or stool test diagnose typhoid fever.
- This lab test identifies the presence of Salmonella typhi in blood or stool samples.
Complication associated with typhoid fever
People who do not receive treatment for typhoid fever may have develop severe symptoms of the disease like –
- Kidney failure
- Intestinal hemorrhage
- Typhoid fever is fatal if left untreated.
- It became carriers and spread the illness to others.
- Receiving a typhoid fever vaccination.
- Avoiding food that is raw or under-cooked
- Drinking bottled water or boiled water
- Washing your hands each time before eating
- Avoiding raw fruits and vegetables that cannot be peeled off.
- Avoiding eating foods and beverages that purchased from street vendors.
- Avoid items used by the infected people like, towel, glass, napkin, etc.
- Take curd, yogurt, and buttermilk to balance the intestinal bacterial flora
- Take bed rest because the disease causes a lot of weakness in body.
Home remedies for typhoid fever
Increase fluid intake :
Typhoid fever may cause vomiting and diarrhea that cause severe dehydration. To prevent dehydration, keep sipping on fluids like water, fruit juices, coconut water and soups. Hydration also helps in the elimination of waste materials and toxins from the body and provides the required nutrients to boost the immune system and fight the bacterial infection.
Use Cold Compresses :
In high fever it is very important to maintain a normal body temperature for that use cold compresses to bring down the temperature. Sponge off armpits, feet, groin, and hands. Applying cold compresses on the extremities brings down the fever most effectively. Soak a washcloth in icy water, wring out the excess water and place it on forehead. Change the washcloth frequently.
Apple cider vinegar :
It has acidic properties and helps to maintain a proper pH in the body. It is a good home remedy for typhoid fever. It brings high fever down as it snatch out heat from the body of the person suffering from typhoid. Apple cider vinegar contains minerals which are important for a person who is sick and losing nutrients because of diarrhea. It is simple to consume take teaspoon of apple cider vinegar add honey mix in water and drink before meals.
The antimicrobial properties present in the garlic help fight off typhoid bacteria. Garlic has wide variety of health benefits and can be extremely helpful for curing typhoid fever. It contains antioxidants and acts as blood purifier and speeds up recovery from typhoid. It helps the kidney to removed unwanted substances from the body. It should be consumed raw or semi-cooked to make the most of its benefits. It help in healing process and boosts immunity of the person suffering from typhoid fever. It works great as one of the home remedies for typhoid fever. This is not good for pregnant women and children.
Bananas can bring down the fever and treat diarrhea in people with typhoid. Bananas rich in pectin, a soluble fiber that helps the intestines absorb fluids, and cure diarrhea. Potassium present in banana fruit helps in replacing the electrolytes lost through loose motions. It is one of the best things to eat when having typhoid. Banana is not readily digestible but also provide sufficient calories, minerals and vitamins.
Basil (tulasee) :
It is a popular herb which reduced inflammation and joint pains which are common in people suffering from typhoid fever. Basil is antibiotic and antimicrobial in action. The antibacterial properties of basil help in removing the bacteria that causes typhoid. Add basil to boiled water and drink three to four cups daily to boosts immunity and calms the tummy. It can be infused with tea or consumed with honey by the person suffering from typhoid.
Many researches shown that pro-biotics like curd and buttermilk provide support to immune system to prevent infections like cold and flu and speeds up recovery time. Buttermilk has ability to prevent the breakdown of protein, thus providing vital nutrients to the body while dealing with fever. It can easily made at home and can be consumed one glass daily.
Clove for typhoid fever :
Clove is an excellent herb which is rich in minerals and vitamins. Minerals such as potassium, calcium, sodium, phosphorus, iron, zinc and magnesium. The vitamins found in cloves are vitamin E, A, C, K, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin) and folate. Some kind of essential oils present in cloves have antibacterial properties that fight against the bacteria that cause typhoid. Easy to consume take 2 cups of cloves daily with boiling water.