What is a tonsil?
In Ayurveda, tonsillitis has been referred to as ‘tuberculosis inflammation’. Tonsils are a part of the body that resides on both sides of the throat. It plays an important role in the body’s defense system, and protects the body from external infections. These are part of our body’s lymphatic system, which helps in fighting external infections.
When there is any type of infection in the tonsils, their shape changes and swells. This is called tonsillitis. Tonsils 2.5 cm in size. Long, 2 cm Wide and 1.2 cm They are thick. Although tonsillitis can occur at any age, but it mostly occurs in childhood. It is a common infection found in children. Occurs more in children from young children to adolescence (5–15 years).
These reasons can be due to tonsils: –
- The most common disease in tonsillitis is Streptococcus Pyogenes.
- Apart from this, Staphylococcus aureus is also a cause of Mycoplasma Pneumonia.
- Influenza causes tonsils, called flu.
- Due to coronavirus, one of its two subtypes is also the cause of SARS.
- By eating or drinking too much cold (ice cream or cold drink).
- Weakness of immunity.
Symptoms of tonsils:
- Severe pain in the throat and difficulty swallowing anything.
- Pain in lower ear also.
- Swelling in the lower part of the jaws.
- Sore throat, and smell of mouth.
- Extreme weakness, fatigue, and irritability.
- Problems such as shortness of breath, and dripping saliva in young children.
Home Remedies for Tonsil Treatment
Gargle with salt water. This reduces inflammation. This is a very easy way to cure tonsillitis at home.
- Mix 2-3 drops of lemon juice in one teaspoon of honey and give the child three times a day.
- Mix lemon juice and fresh ginger in hot water. Gargle every 30 minutes with this water.
- Gargle by adding lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and pepper to the hot water.
Ginger help to reduce Tonsillitis Symptoms
Licking ginger juice mixed with honey relieves swelling and pain.
Milk with Turmeric
Add a pinch of turmeric to warm milk and eat it before sleeping at night. Turmeric intake helps in curing tonsils as well as many diseases.
Boil alum powder in water and gargle. It reduces the discomfort of tonsils and gives you comfort.
Put 4-5 garlic in water and boil it. Gargle with this water. This home remedy (Tonsil ka ilaj) provides relief from inflammation and irritation.
Heat 6-7 grams of fenugreek seeds in one liter of water. Gargle three times a day with this. It is beneficial in tonsils.
Grind the onion juice mixed with lukewarm water. It benefits greatly in tonsils.
Tulsi and Honey help to reduce Tonsillitis Symptoms
Boil 4-6 basil leaves in a glass of milk. When lukewarm, take half a teaspoon of honey mixed with it.
In the morning, lukewarm about 7-8 glasses of water. Add salt to it. Sit down with a frown. Drink water to the best of your ability. When the water reaches the throat and starts vomiting, then bend and press the stomach. Touch the tongue with the finger. Doing so will cause vomiting. Do this until all the stomach water comes out. After this, drink lukewarm milk after half an hour. This activity should be done on an empty stomach in the morning.
Yoga Helps in Tonsillitis Treatment
- Do pranayama.
- Do Kapalbhanti, Anulom-Antonym, Ujjai and Bhastrika.
- Perform Kunjal Kriya.
Avoid Your Foods in Tonsillitis
During Ayurvedic treatment for tonsils, one should avoid: –
- Do not consume strong ingredients (curd, cold milk, cold water, ice cream, rice) at all.
- Don’t eat stale food, junkfood.
- Do not eat fried and roasted foods.
- Do not consume cold things like- yogurt, ice cream, cold water at all.
- Do not consume junkfood, fried-roasted, spicy things at all.
- Do not heat again and again after keeping food in the fridge. By doing this the nutrients of the food are reduced. This makes the person’s immunity weak.
Lifestyle Tips in Tonsillitis to Avoid Tonsillitis
- This is a disease caused by infection, so take special care of cleanliness in it.
- Wash hands thoroughly before eating anything.
- Take care at home in case of infection in young children. There is a risk of viral infection in the school.
- Wash hands after coughing and sneezing
- Ice cream
- Fill a few pieces of ice in a cotton cloth and bake it on the part of the tonsils around the neck. Give ice five to six times a day.
Take warm milk in a glass. Add half a teaspoon turmeric powder and half a teaspoon pepper powder to it and consume it regularly before bedtime.
Lemon, salt and honey
Squeeze half a lemon in a glass of warm water. Add a pinch of salt and two teaspoons of honey. Take it twice a day.