Small bluish swellings, comprising of enlarged blood vessels, situated either just inside, or just outside the anus commonly called internal and external piles respectively.
Symptoms of Piles
- Needle pricking pain and burning sensation, irritation in these swellings in or outside the anus.
- Hard lump around the anus
- Bright red blood in stool may also be present.
Causes of Piles
- Persistent constipation due to poor dietary habits
- Dysentery, colitis, diarrhoea for a long time can result into piles
- Sitting on hard seats for prolonged period.
- Lack of exercise
- Sedentary lifestyle
Types of Piles
1. Internal Piles – These are the massy swelling in the anal region. They are generally covered with the mucous membrane.
Depending on the chronicity and prolapse, they are of 3 types:
- First degree – They are located just inside the anus, occasionally causing discomfort when the motion is passed.
- Second degree –They appear as pea side swelling outside the anus after a bowel motion is passed. They usually retain in the anus after the strain of defecation is over. It may bleed and itch.
- Third degree – The swollen blood vessels are so enlarged that they remain outside the anus permanently. The pile masses are required to push inside the anus manually by fingers. Bleeding, soreness and itching are the common features seen in this.
2. External Piles – It is a small lump outside the edge of the anus. It is covered by skin not by mucous membrane unlike internal piles. It is less common than internal piles and sometimes may be very painful.
Home Remedies for Piles
Here are some home remedies for Piles :
- A mixture of lemon juice, ginger, mint and honey is very helpful in improving digestion and piles.
- Papaya is very good fruit in piles.
- Sesame seeds paste is very effective if applied locally.
- Mix one teaspoon of castor oil in warm milk and drink at night. It’s very effective to relieve constipation.
- Haritki is a good drug used in piles.
- Aloe vera juice is very useful in piles.
- Radish juice should be taken.
- Butter milk with a small amount of pepper and salt is a very good home remedy in piles.
- Carrot boiled or cooked should be taken
- Sitting in warm water tub reduces the congestion and swelling of the pile masses.
- Avoid sitting for long.
- Ginger, onions, turnip, jambul fruit improves the digestion.
- Exercise daily
- Increase the water intake
- High fibre diet, green leafy vegetables
- Fruits and vegetables
- Butter milk,
- Spicy fried junk food.
- Sedentary life style
- Tea, coffee, alcohol, smoking, red meat etc