- Research shows that enjoying a bowl of chicken soup with vegetables can slow down the movement of neutrophils in the body.
- Neutrophils are the type of white blood cells. They help to protect the body from infection. The research found that chicken soup was effective for reducing the symptoms of upper respiratory infections.
- Low-sodium soup carries great nutritional value and helps keep the body hydrated.
- Ginger has many health benefits.
- A few slices of raw ginger root boiling in water may help soothe a cough or sore throat.
- Study shows that it can reduce the feelings of nausea that so often accompany influenza.
- Honey has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
- Drinking honey in tea with lemon can ease sore throat pain.
- Studies show that honey is an effective cough suppressant.
- Researchers found that giving 10 grams of honey to children at bedtime reduced the severity of cough symptoms.
- Never give honey to a child less than 1-year-old, as it contains botulinum spores that cause botulism.
- They are usually harmless to older children and adults, infants’ immune systems aren’t able to fight them off.
- Garlic contains the allicin compound, which has antimicrobial properties.
- Add a garlic supplement to your diet to reduce the severity of cold and their symptoms.
- According to research, it might even help you to avoid getting sick in the first place.
- Echinacea plant herbs and roots used to treat infections for more than 400 years.
- Its main ingredients include flavonoids chemicals that have many therapeutic effects on the body like flavonoids that can boost immunity and reduce inflammation.
- This herb is effective in fighting the common cold and flu.
- Echinacea may lower the risk of developing the common cold.
- Vitamin C plays an important role in your body and has many health benefits.
- Sources of vitamin C are lemon, oranges, grapefruits, limes, and other fruits and vegetables.
- Adding fresh lemon juice to tea with honey reduces mucus when people are sick. Drinking hot or cold lemonade may also help.
- Vitamin C boosts the body’s immune system that needs to fight infection.
- Getting enough vitamin C can reduce upper respiratory tract infections and other illnesses.
- Probiotics are friendly bacteria and yeast that are found in your body and other supplements can help to keep your gut and immune system healthy.
- Probiotics may reduce the chance of getting sick with an upper respiratory infection.
- Add this delicious and nutritious source of helpful bacteria in your diet that includes probiotics.
- Yogurt is a healthy snack that provides protein and calcium and good for the immune system.
- Gargling with salt water may help prevent upper respiratory tract infections.
- It may also decrease the severity of cold symptoms and ease sore throat pain and nasal congestion.
- Gargling with salt water reduces the mucus, which contains bacteria and allergens.
- For this remedy, dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in a full glass of water.
- Swish it around your mouth and throat. Then spit it out.
- Some old-fashioned topical ointments, such as vapor rub appear to reduce cold symptoms in children older than 2 years.
- Just 1 or 2 applications before the bed can help to open the air passages that filled with mucus, reduce coughing, and improve sleep.
- Vapor rub is gaining attraction among the doctors who encourage parents to avoid giving cold medicines to their young children because of unwanted side effects.
- Influenza virus spreads more easily in dry environments.
- Creating more humidity may reduce the exposure to this flu-causing virus. Increased humidity may also reduce nasal inflammation, and help in easier breathing when you are sick.
- Temporarily adding a cool-mist humidifier in the bedroom may help you feel more comfortable. This is helpful in winter when dry indoor heat can aggravate symptoms.
- Adding a few drops of eucalyptus oil stimulates breathing.
- A warm bath sponge sometimes reduces a child’s fever.
- It can also reduce cold and flu symptoms in adults.
- Adding Epsom salt and baking soda to the water can reduce body aches.
- Adding a few drops of essential oil, such as tea tree, juniper, rosemary, thyme or orange may also have a soothing effect.