Grapefruit, scientific name Citrus × paradise and family Rutaceae and it is citrus tree fruit also called pomelo this fruit is spherical shape, slightly flattened, with a pale yellow, reddish smooth or rough skin. The flesh is yellow except in the reddish varieties, Its English name, Grapefruit, makes reference to the fact that the fruits grow in clusters. It has a bitter flavor. It is consumed as fresh fruit juice at an industrial level. Grapefruit also used in the kitchen for garnish of meat such as duck, chicken, pork. All other citrus fruit is very rich in vitamin C. It has many healing properties, such as the prevention of certain types of cancer, and digestion problems, stomach problems, and have antiseptic, tonic, and diuretic qualities.
- Hindi – chakotara
- English – pomelo
- Punjabi – cakotara
- Marathi – draksaphala
- kannada – draksihannu
- telugu – draksapandu
The United States Department of Agriculture offers the following nutritional information for a one-cup grapefruit juice contain:-
- Calories: 74
- Total fat: 0.23 grams (g)
- Carbohydrates: 18.58 g
- Dietary fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 1.45 g
- Sugars: 16.05 g
- Calcium: 28 milligrams (mg)
- Iron: 0.21 mg
- Magnesium: 18 mg
- Phosphorus: 18 mg
- Potassium: 320 mg
- Zinc: 0.16 mg
- Vitamin C: 79.1 mg
- Boost immune system – Grapefruit is loaded with vitamin C, It helps to boost the body’s immune system. Grapefruit is also loaded with Vitamin A, another vitamin that has been proven to help immune function. This powerful combination helps you to protect from disease and infection and minimize the sickness period.
- Weight management – Obesity is a common problem that can lead to more issues, including heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Overeating and heavy eating is one contributing factor to obesity. Grapefruit is a fiber packet that can help with weight management by slowing the rate at which your body digests food and making you feel fuller and reducing the desire to overeat.
- Kidney stone – Kidney stones can be extremely painful to pass out. There are many causes of kidney stones that occur in the body including weight, diet, and certain medications. Add grapefruit to your diet may help prevent kidney stones formed by calcium buildup. The citric acid in the grapefruit can combine with excess calcium to help flush it from your body system.
- Lower stroke rate – citric acid and flavonoids present in grapefruit may lower the risk of ischemic (blood clot-related) stroke and intracerebral stroke. The combination of fiber, potassium, lycopene, vitamin C, and choline in grapefruit could all contribute to heart health. People to increase their dietary intake of potassium and reduce the amount of salt in their foods. This can help prevent high blood pressure and a range of complications that can occur from it.
- Protect eye health – Grapefruit has anti-inflammatory properties, helps to improve and prevent age-related macular degeneration (AMD). This eye disease leading to cause of permanent vision loss in people over the age of 60. Lutein and zeaxanthin are found in the macular of the eye part of the retina responsible for fine vision, Carotenoids present in grapefruit help to protect the macular by filtering out harmful blue light and also provide antioxidant protection.
- Promote appetite control – Grapefruit is an excellent appetite suppressant as compared to other fruit. It is said that the smell of the grapefruit reduces the feeling of hunger, that’s the reason why people often include grapefruit in their diet to lose weight. The high fiber content present in grapefruit slows the rate of stomach empties and increasing digestion time. This promotes your stomach fuller for longer.
- Reduce fever – Grapefruit pulp or juice is thought to help patients recover faster from the fever and reduce the burning sensation that occurs when the body reaches a high temperature. It also boosts your immune system against colds and other common illnesses that occur in the body.
- Eliminate constipation – Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice drinks in the morning are a great remedy for reducing constipation. The juice stimulates the colon and other parts of the body relating to the digestive system. The stimulating effect of fiber on the secretion and stimulation of gastric juices ease the constriction of the digestive tract and induce a bowel movement.
- Reduce fatigue – Grapefruits are beneficial to reduce fatigue, they can help you to eliminate your body tiredness that can be caused by routine work. Drinking grapefruit juice can be refreshing and quickly boost energy levels.