SCIENTIFIC NAME- Cissus quadrangularis
FAMILY-Vitaceae (Grape Family)
COMMON NAME- Devil’s backbone, Adamant creeper, Asthisamharaka or Asthisamhara, Sanskrit- asthisonhara, vajravalli ; Hindi- Hadjora, Hadsarihari; Bengali-Harbhanga, Hasjora, Horjora; Gujarati- Chodhari, Hadsand, Vedhari; Kannasa- Mangarahalli; Malyalam- Cannalamparanta, Peranta; Marathi- Horjora, harsankar; Tamil- Piranti telugu- Nalleru, Nelleratiga, Vajravalli.
|Guna(Action)||Laghu (Light), Ruksha(dry)|
|Vipaka(taste after digestion)||Katu(Pungent)|
|Dosha effect||Vatahara, Kaphshamak|
- It is an amazing ayurvedic herb, enriched with valuable minerals and antioxidants, for mending a host of bone and joint-related disorders, For example- Rheumatoid Arthritis, fractures and osteoporosis.
- It possesses Analgesic, Anti-inflammatory, Anti-osteoporotic properties.
- It is enriched with antioxidants and having free radical scavenging activity.
- Bone Healer-It is rich in calcium, phosphorous and phytoestrogen steroids which helps in early regeneration and quick mineralization of bone fracture.
- Its root is helpful in curing depression.
- Application of the paste of leaves of this plant on inflamed joints soothes pain, swelling and helps to regain ROM or range of motion in bones and muscles.
SCIENTIFIC NAME- Boerhavia diffusa
COMMON NAME- Hog weed,Red hogweed, Tar Vine,Red Spiderling, Wineflower; Hindi: Punarnava, Satha; Assamese- Punarnava, Pananua, Purnanava, Ponounua; Bengali. Gadapushpa गदापुष्पा, Punarnova;Kannada- daka utta etc.
FAMILY- Nyctaginaceae (Bougainvillea family) (4’0 CLOCK FAMILY)
|Rasa (Taste)||Tikta (Bitter), Kashaya (Astringent), Madhura (Sweet)|
|Guna– Qualities||Laghu (Light), Ruksha (Dry)|
|Veerya Potency,||Ushna (Hot)|
|Vipaka– Post-digestion effect||Katu (Pungent)|
|KarmaPharmacological activity||Pitta, Kapha|
- It helps to uplift and possesses cleansing actions on the system, thereby improving bone and joint strength in Aamavata or RA.
- Intake- Add punarnava powder – a rasoushadi, to warm milk and taking it daily after meals offers tremendous merits of fortified bones, reinforced muscles and promoting flexibility in joints.
SCIENTIFIC NAME- Ricinus communis
COMMON NAME- Castor oil plant,Castor bean, Wonder tree ; Hindi: Arandeअरंडी ;Sanskrit name- Gandharva hasta; Manipuri- Kege ;Tamil- Amanakku, Vilakkennai Kottaimuttu ; Kannada- Oudla ; Bengali- Veranda ; Assamese- Era-gach; Malayalam- Chittamankku ; Mizo- Mutih etc.
|Rasa (Taste)||Katu(Pungent), Kashaya(Astringent), Madhur(Sweet)|
|Guna– Qualities||Sukhshma, Snigdha(Unctuous), Tikshna(Sharp)|
|Veerya Potency||Hot or Ushna|
|Vipaka– Post-digestion effect||Madhura-Sweet|
|Effect on Tridoshas(Humor)||Pacifies Vata and Kapha|
- It is an age-old cure for swelling and discomfort encountered in Aamavata.
- External application- Use luke warm cup of eranda tailam then gently massaging in the affected part, affected joints daily.
- It pacifies the vata dosha and relievs arthritic pain and inflammation.
SCIENTIFIC NAME- Pluchea lanceolata
COMMON NAME- Sanskrit-Suvaha, Sugandha, Yukta; Kannada- Chithramoolaka; Marathi- Rasna, Rashna; Sanskrit: Elaparni, रसना Rasna, Rasya, Sreyasi, Sugandha, Surabhi, suvaha, युक्ता yukta ; Telugu: Rasna Etc.
|Rasa (Taste)||Tikta (Bitter)|
|Vipaka||Katu (Pungent taste)|
|Virya (Potency)||Hot or Ushna|
|Karma(Action)||Vata Kapha shamaka(Reduces vitiated vata and kapha)|
- Jwaraghna- It possesses antipyretic i.e. heat-reducing, laxative and analgesic or pain-lowering properties.
- For Flushing out Ama or toxins- Mash some leaves of Rasna, then mix it with a glass of luke warm water or lemon juice and ingesting the kashayam on a regular basis helps to eliminate Ama.
- It enhances digestive power, pacifies joint pain and swelling.
SCIENTIFIC NAME- Zingiber Officinale
COMMON NAME- Ginger, Hindi- Adrak; Marathi- Aale, sunth, Alha; Kannada- Alla,Shunthi; Bengali- Ada; Gujarati- Sunth; Nepali- Aduwa; Mizo- Sawthing etc.
|Guna(Qualities)||Light, oily(dry powder);Guru (Heavy)-Fresh ginger|
|Vipaka||Madura or sweet (Dry powder);pungent (Fresh ginger)|
|Virya||Hot or ushna|
- Ginger helps to improve the digestion by eliminated the Ama or indigested food particles.
- It possesses Anti-inflammatory, Antibacterial properties.
- It reduces the joint pain and inflammatory conditions associated with Aama vata(RA).
- It fights against germs, illness and cancer causing molecules take it in your daily diet helps in overall health.