In Ayurveda, Diabetes Mellitus is termed as “Madhumeha”. Don’t feel deprived while living with Diabetes. Every problem has a solution within it. You just have to learn to balance meals and make healthy food choices.
The Sweet and high starch carbohydrates may raise blood sugar levels
For the person with diabetes, it is important to monitor blood glucose level and also the total amount of carbohydrates in a meal.
Pathya or Diet to be Followed-
The Dietetics for Diabetes one should follow-
- Bitter Gourd
- Green Leafy Vegetables
- Limit starchy or avoid food items like potatoes, corn, and green peas
Fruit containing natural sugar so can intake fruit low in glycemic index
- Kiwi fruit
- Amla (Indian Gooseberry)
Take at least half of your grains for the day should be whole grains
- Whole grain oats
- Examples: bread, pasta, cereal, and tortillas
- Lean meat
- Chicken or turkey without the skin
- Nuts and peanuts
- Dried beans and certain peas, such as chickpeas and split peas
- Meat substitutes like tofu
5. Dairy- nonfat or low fat
- milk or lactose-free milk if you have lactose intolerance
Neem Leaves, Aloe Vera, Basil, Flax Seeds, Fenugreek seeds, Turmeric etc.
Choose Heart-healthy fats, which is provided from the food items like-
- Canola and olive oils- These are liquid at room temperature.
- Nuts and seeds
- Heart-healthy fish such as salmon, tuna, and mackerel
Apathya or Diet to be Avoided-
The person with Diabetes Mellitus should avoid/limit the following-
- Sugar– Sugar and sweetened beverages can elevate the blood glucose levels and should be avoided.
- Tran’s fats- Artificial Trans fats found in packaged food items like- peanut butter, spreads and frozen dinner are extremely unhealthy.
- High carbs food items- White bread, rice and pasta should be avoided.
- Fruit-flavored yogurt- You can use plain curd/Yoghurt instead of fruit flavored curd
- Sweetened breakfast cereals- Ignore the health claims in the boxes because most cereals are highly processed and contain more amounts of Carbs.
- Flavored coffee drinks- It can be regarded as a liquid dessert and should be avoided.
- Honey, agave nectar, and maple syrup- these may increase blood sugar levels, insulin and inflammatory markers.
- Dried fruit- when a fruit is dried this process results in loss of water content and leading to higher concentration of nutrients.
- Packaged Food items- They are highly processed foods made from refined flour, and further raises your blood sugar level
- Fruit juices– It may affect your blood glucose level and packaged fruit juices should be avoided.
Limit or Avoid food items-
- Fried foods and other food items which are high in saturated fat and Trans fat.
- Low sodium diet or limit the salt intake
- One should limit sweets, baked goods, sweet candy, and ice cream
- Sugar added beverages like juice, regular soda , sports or energy drinks
In place of sweetened beverages one should drink water. Sugar substitute like Stevia leaves; coconut sugar etc. can be used in your coffee or tea.
Alcohol should be used in moderate amount not more than a drink in a day as it can make your blood glucose level drop too low.
Avoid use of butter, cream, stick margarine etc. instead of these you can switch to oils for cooking food.
Vihara or Lifestyle Changes-
- For management of your blood glucose level and staying healthy the following measures should be followed-
- Physical activity plays an important role in nowadays life. If you are active then only you will be able to perform your daily activities in a more efficient way.
- Benefits of Physical activity-
- It helps to Lower the blood glucose levels
- Beneficial in lowering the blood pressure
- It improves blood flow across your body
- Weight loss- It helps to burn extra calories and maintain good weight.
- It helps to improve your mood
- Helps I n balancing and improve memory in older adults
- Insomnia i.e. helps you to sleep better
Add extra activity to your daily routine for Ex. – Use stairs instead of using the elevator, Plan for the Outing with your family or friends, walking in the park, bike riding etc.
Do Aerobic Exercises and can also do strength training to build muscle and do stretching exercises
CAC Special DIABETES CARE PRODUCTS-
- DAIBO CARE KADHA
- DAIBO CARE TABLET
- VASANT KUSMAKAR RASA
- ASHWAGANDHA TABLETS