Date palm scientific name Phoenix dactylifera, family arecaceae. Date palm trees is the oldest cultivated fruit tree which is known as dates and it is sweet and highly nutritious fruits. The major producers of date palm trees are countries in the Middle East and others countries are Africa and Iran is the largest exporter. Date palm trees tree cultivated in dry zones having irrigation facilities. Date farming have successful cultivation in regions that have prolonged hot and dry summers, moderate winters climatic conditions with no rain during the fruit ripping period. The date palm tree grow about 65 to 70 feet in height, cylindrical in trunk and columnar growing straight with the same girth to the top. Date palm fruits are one to four centimeters long with 2.5cm in diameter and oblong in shape. Its fruit are one seeded and are fleshy. Date palm tree are well adapted to desert environment conditions. Fruit yield gets affected by fruit cracking and checking, due to moisture presence so it required low humidity at fruit development stage. Saline soil is required for its growth. In India people show interest in cultivation of date palm tree. In India already there are many dates farms establishes in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Rajasthan.
- Hindi name – khajur
- English name – date
- Punjabi name – khajura
- Kannad – kharjura
- Tamil nadu – tati panai
- Malayalam – intappana
- Marathi – khajura
- Nepal – miti pama
- Gujrati – tada ni khajura
NUTRITIONAL CONTENT IN DATE PALM
Dates are a concentrated source of healthy nutrients. Just 2 dates (48 grams) provides
- Calories: 133
- Carbs: 36 grams
- Fiber: 3.2 grams
- Protein: 0.8 grams
- Sugar: 32 grams
- Fat: 0 grams
- Calcium: 2% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Iron: 2% of the DV
- Potassium: 7% of the DV
- Copper: 19% of the DV
- Vitamin B6: 7% of the DV
- Magnesium: 6% of the DV
- Rich in disease-fighting antioxidants – The date provides various kinds of antioxidants to treat different diseases. Dates are rich in antioxidants including, carotenoids, flavonoids, and phenolic acid. Carotenoids is very beneficial for your heart health and also reduces the risk of eye-related disorder. Flavonoids is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, it is useful to reduce the risk of diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease. Phenolic acid also has anti-inflammatory properties and helps to reduce the risk of some cancers and heart issues.
- Bones – Dates palm rich in copper, selenium, and magnesium that keep your bone healthy and prevent bony related disease and disorders. Date palm rich in vitamin K which helps to regulate coagulation of blood and helps metabolize your bones. People suffering from osteoporosis are more likely to suffer from bony fractures. Dates can help to strengthen your bone and make it strong.
- Promote brain health – Each date contains choline, vitamin B that is good for the learning and memory process especially in Alzheimer’s disease. Regular consumption of dates in your diet lower the risk of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease. Dates also helpful in reducing inflammation and preventing plaque formation in the brain.
- Control diabetes – Diabetes mellitus is one of the most common diseases in this period of life. Research shows that dates are helpful to reduce blood sugar and fat levels in body. It works by increase the production of insulin and also help reduce the rate of absorption of glucose from the intestine. This can help to reduce the risk of diabetes in people.
- Improves skin – Dates are an excellent source of vitamin C and D which helps to maintain your skin elasticity and keeps your skin smooth and healthy. Dates also have anti-ageing properties and prevent the accumulation of melanin in skin.
- Improve heart health – Dates may improve your heart health. Dates have antioxidant properties that help to prevent the built up of cholesterol and other substance in and on the artery walls, and prevent cardiac diseases.
- Date helpful in men’s – It Improve sexual health in men. Some studies states that dates can enhance your sexual stamina. It also help to increase sperm counts. In Dates flavonoids and estradiol antioxidants are present which have positive effects to increase sperm count and sperm quality.
- Date helpful in females – Date Promote Natural Labor, Eating dates in the later stage of pregnancy promotes cervical dilation and lowers the need for induced labor. Dates mimic the action of oxytocin and bring natural contraction of uterine muscle during labor. Dates also have a compound called tannin which help to facilitate uterine contractions during labor. Dates prevent Piles during pregnancy piles are the commonest problem during pregnancy due to poor intake of fibers and dates are an amazing source of fibers. They may help to reduce the risk of piles during pregnancy.
- Sweet tooth – Dates are the sweetest fruit with natural sugar content in it. It can reduce your cravings for unhealthy sweet products and sugar. It is a great substitute of white sugar.