There is nothing better tha a bowl of fresh blueberries to munch on. These plump and sweet little berries are so yummy that they are sometimes referred to as nature’s candy. Blueberries are well known for their vast and dynamic health benefits. It has amazing antioxidant properties and is a notable anti-inflammatory agent, so, including blueberries in your diet is super beneficial.
Blueberries have nourishing and soothing effects on the brain due to its pitta pacifying nature. It is very useful in age-related memory loss, has anti-inflammatory effect on your nerves, and is beneficial in Alzheimers. Its so good for nervous systems healthy functioning there is a saying about it
“When it comes to brain protection, there is nothing quite like blueberries. Call the blueberry the brain berry.”
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF BLUEBERRY
- Blueberries have Kashaya Rasa(astringent taste) and they pacify Pitta dosha. This property of blueberry is used for wound healing and reducing blood sugar levels. Because of its Pitta pacifying property, it is ideal for summer. It provides a cooling effect on the body and is beneficial in eye disorders which are associated with Pitta dosha.
- Balya, brumhani – Provides nourishment to the body and boosts immunity. Blueberries are one of the fruits and vegetables with highest antioxidant amount, which prevent free radical formation that can damage cellular structures. Due to these antioxidant properties blueberries have potential cancer-prevention properties, protective effects against diseases like dementia, urinary tract disorders, heart issues, and eye disorders.
- Vrishya – Good for reproductive health, act as aphrodisiac.
- Vatahara – Useful in neurological disorders
- Improves digestion – The astringent properties of blueberry are able to stop diarrhea and helps in difficult digestion. Its loaded with anti-inflammatory properties and can help reduce the symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease.
- Improves nervous system functioning – Blueberries increase blood flow to the brain, improves memory and attention to required task. Improvements in brain functioning helps fight the natural decline that occurs during the aging process. Increase in the no. of new neurons with blueberry consumption slows down this aging process.
- Improves reproductive health – Increases vitality and is an aphrodisiac.
- Anti inflammatory – Blueberries show effective results in treating wounds and skin disorders. Even Mouthwashes made of blueberry dried leaves helps reduce mouth ulcers and due to its anti inflammatory properties it reduces the size of pimples, facilitates wound healing and is very useful in other inflammatory conditions or disorders caused by pitta aggravation. Tea made from the dried leaves of blueberries can be used in sore throat and inflammation of the mouth/mouth ulcers.
- Good for heart – Blueberries are rich in anthocyanins, which have can significantly reduce the risk of developing heart disease. Other benefits of blueberries on the heart include increased flexibility of the blood vessels, reduced inflammation, and reduced platelet aggregation.
- Improves circulation – Extract of blueberries helps in improving micro-circulation, which is very useful for the capillaries supplying the eyes and mucous membranes of the digestive system and pulmonary system. Good capillaries circulation throughout the body helps people suffering from arthritis, water retention, varicose veins, and hemorrhoids.
- Useful in kidney stones – Blueberries contain hippuric acid which acidifies urine, that further prevents harmful bacteria from developing in body and helps in removing calcium oxalates from body that lead to kidney stones if they get accumulated in body.