Black fungus is a very rare infection. It is caused by exposure to group of molds. Black fungus is also simply known as Mucormycosis disease. Mucor moulds are commonly found in soil, plants, manure, and decaying fruits and vegetables. It is also found in the nose and mucus of a healthy person.
It affects the sinuses, the brain and the lungs. Individuals are infected after inhaling fungal spores found naturally in India’s environment and soil.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS-
- Cough, nasal congestion, blackish/bloody nasal discharge
- prolonged headache
- Blackened area — around the nasal sinuses.
- Blurred or double vision with pain
- Cutaneous (skin) mucormycosis can look like blisters or ulcers.
- high grade fever
- Redness and swelling around nose and eyes.
- Local pain on the cheekbone, one-sided facial pain, numbness or swelling
- tenderness and sinus pain
- Thrombosis, necrotic skin lesion
- Loosening of teeth, jaw involvement
- Chest pain and pleural effusion
- worsening of respiratory symptoms
- Gastrointestinal mucormycosis symptoms are Abdominal pain, Nausea, vomiting and gastrointestinal bleeding etc.
RISK FACTOR –
These types of molds can naturally occur in the environment, not everyone exposed will get the fungal infection. If you have a weakened immune system it increases risk of contracting this type of infection. Conditions that may increase your risk include:
- Excessive use of steroids
- Recently cured covid-19 patients.
- Weak immune system
- Cuts, burns and scrapes
- Cancer patients
- Recent organ transplant
- Stem cell transplant
- Non diabetic COVID-19 patients
- Prematurity and low birthweight neonatal
- STD diseases like gonorrhea, HIV or AIDS
- Diabetic patients
- Skin injury due to surgery
- For diabetic patients, black fungus is life-threatening.
- A person affected with mucormycosis may need early detection and powerful diagnosis for treatment, which may, in turn, affect other organs like the kidneys, lungs and heart.
- Prevention is extremely crucial.
- A small sample of affected tissue is analyzed in a laboratory for evidence of mucormycosis under a microscope or in a fungal culture.
- You may also need imaging tests such as a CT scan of your lungs, sinuses, or other parts of your body, depending on the location of the suspected infection.
If black fungus spreads to the brain it causes most severe complications such as:
- Nervous inflammation
- Memory loss
MYTHS ABOUT BLACK FUNGUS-
- It spreads from one person to person
- Spreads by oxigination
- Spreads by humidifier and water
- Control your sugar level
- Use of steroids only in patients with low saturation of oxygen
- Covid appropriate behavior like wearing masks
- Avoid direct contact with water-damaged buildings and flood water after hurricanes and natural disasters.
- To reduce the chances of developing a skin infection
- Clean skin injuries well with soap and water, especially if they have been exposed to soil or dust.
It’s important to get treatment. If left untreated, mucormycosis can be fatal.
- Control of diabetes
- reduce streoids use
- reduce immunosuppressive drugs
- Reduces surgeroy
IN MODERN SCIENCE–
- Mucormycosis is a serious infection and needs to be treated with prescription antifungal medicine, usually amphotericin B, posaconazole, or isavuconazole.
- These medicines are given through:
- Intravenous-amphotericin B, posaconazole and isavuconazole
- Orally-posaconazole and isavuconazole
- Other medicines, including fluconazole, voriconazole, and echinocandins, do not work against fungi that cause mucormycosis.
- Often, mucormycosis requires surgery to cut away the infected tissue.
In ayurvedic classics, Fungal infections are explained as Dadru And Sidhma in the category of Kustha. Sidhma is compared with Tinea versicolor and Dadru is compared with rest types of Fungal diseases. It is limited to the dead layers of skin but is usually encouraged by a damp and warm weather.
CAC anti fungal care kit are more effective in such type fungal infections. Our pure herbo- mineral ayurvedic formulations for fungal infections are-
- Detox premium powder
- Twak churana
- Twak tailam
- Skin care tablet
- Itch care tablet
- Hand made neem soap
HOME REMIDIES FOR FUNGAL INFECTION-
- Neem leaves have effective antifungal properties and is extremely good for the skin.
- Washing the infected area with neem water helps in treating fungal infections.
- To make neem water, boil neem leaves in water for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turmeric is a potent antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory spice.
- Mix with a little water and apply over the infected area.
- One of the most time-tested natural remedies to cure any skin infection is aloe vera.
- Aloe vera not only cured the infection but also soothes and repairs skin damage.
- Garlic is one of the most potent antifungal and antimicrobial herbs.
- Those who eat garlic regularly are less susceptible to fungal infections.
- Crush a couple of garlic with some olive oil and make a paste.
- Then apply to the infected area for about thirty minutes.