Ayurvedic Treatment of Psoriasis
Psoriasis is defined as papulosquamous skin condition characterized by red, scaly papules and plaques. It was noticed that approximately 4% of all scaly rashes are seen in children younger than 16 years. The peak incidence of having psoriasis is in between the age of 20-30 years and 50-60 years.
The main and most common causes of psoriasis are genetics, it was noticed that around 50-90% of patients have a family history of psoriasis. The other risk factors are – deficiency in vitamin D, consuming a high amount of alcohol, smoking, being overweight, complications of certain injections and medicines, etc. It was proven that psoriasis is an auto-immune disorder that occurs when T-lymphocytes, known as immune cells attacks healthy cells in both the nonvascular horny outer layer of the skin and its deeper vascular layer. This attack causes the life span of the skin cells to shorten about 3 to 5 days (skin cells normally live about 20 to 28 days) and forces the cells to reproduce more rapidly than normal.
The symptoms of psoriasis are less severe or disappear during the summer season and become worsen by owing to the effect of sunlight. The severe complications of psoriasis are extensive sloughing of the outer layer of the skin, with resulting swelling, burning sensation, itchiness, soreness around patches, dry skin that may crack and bleed, painful, swollen joints, etc.
In Ayurvedic terms, psoriasis is termed as ‘Kitibha’ and was thought that it occurs due to aggravation of Pitta and Vata dosha in the body. When a person continuous intake a high amount of oily, spicy, fried foods, and doing the things that imbalances the doshas, pitta dosha leads to the formation of various symptoms that co-relate with psoriasis. Aggravated Vata dosha results in the formation of dry skin, scaly skin, cracked skin, etc.
To cure psoriasis completely, Chandigarh Ayurved Centre had made a kit named ‘Psoriasis care kit’ that works by enhancing the immune system and calms the aggravated doshas. The kit contains a total of 5 products – Detox standard powder, Manjishtadi churna, Skin kadha, Panchatikta ghrita guggulu, and Sarvin tablets. The medicines are purely herbal and are free from complications.
A person should follow the given restrictions that will help to ease the symptoms naturally –
- Weight gain over time increases the severity of psoriasis, so keeping your weight down through exercise and a proper diet is very important.
- Avoid processed, oily, salty foods and close to our natural products such as fruits, veggies, etc.
- Manage your stress with some activities like meditation, yoga, acupuncture, etc. Because stress may aggravate doshas and make the symptoms severe.
- People with psoriasis may have celiac disease, as the person isn’t able to tolerate gluten products, a protein found in wheat, barley, rye, etc. People who have such a problem should cut down gluten-containing foods.
- A person also reduces the intake or strictly avoid the intake of inflammatory foods, such as beans, fibers, oily food, nuts, seeds, etc.
- Water provides hydration to every part of the body, including the skin. Consuming enough water throughout the day may help to remove the toxins and improve the texture, look, and feel of the skin.