Ayurvedic Treatment for Ulcerative Colitis – Symptoms & Diet
What is ulcerative colitis?
Colitis is defined as an inflammatory bowel disorder and is characterized by inflammation in the colon (large intestine) and the inner lining of the rectum. Inflammation usually begins in the lower part of the rectum and large intestine and gradually spreads to the entire colon. Colitis except for the lower extremity hardly affects the small intestine, which is called the ileum.
For a person suffering from colitis, over time the cells on the lining surface of the large intestine become dead and move slowly, causing ulcers to develop, leading to pus, mucus, and bleeding. Inflammation of the inner lining of the colon can cause diarrhea and/or a persistent urge to empty the colon.
What are the symptoms of colitis?
Symptoms of a person with colitis depend on how severe the inflammation is and where the inflammation is. Some common symptoms of such a disorder include diarrhea with blood or pus, abdominal pain or cramps, loss of appetite, rectal pain, rectal bleeding, anemia due to excessive bleeding, urge to defecate, urgency, In spite of fever, there is the inability to defecate, loss of weight, weakness, and lack of growth in children.
Some patients may also experience some indirect symptoms such as skin lesions, inflammation of the eye, osteoporosis, rashes, kidney stones, liver disorder, and joint pain. The patient with such symptoms should immediately consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
How is colitis diagnosed?
Diagnosis of patients suffering from colitis includes the patient’s medical history, physical tests, and some lab tests. Some popular methods of diagnosis are stool samples, abdominal computed tomography, abdominal X-ray, and colonoscopy laboratory tests.
Who needs treatment for colitis?
Any person irrespective of his age and symptoms like diarrhea with blood or pus, abdominal pain or cramps, loss of appetite, rectal pain, rectal bleeding, anemia due to excess bleeding, defecation inevitability, irrespective of urgency Inability to defecate. This fever, loss of weight, weakness due to inflammation of the inner lining of the large intestine or rectum is said to suffer from colitis and is eligible for this treatment.
Side effects of modern medicines:
Some common side effects of the treatment of colitis include headache, nausea, vomiting, fever, rashes, loss of appetite, decrease in white blood cells, decreased sperm production in men, diarrhea, abdominal pain and cramps, gas, hair. Loss, dizziness are included. These include kidney problems, weakness, Pericarditis, pancreatitis, high blood pressure, weight gain, mood swings, acne, osteoporosis, cataracts, high blood sugar levels, insomnia, lymphoma, and others. If a patient suffers from some serious side effects, they should immediately consult a doctor for treatment. So the ayurvedic treatment is best for the complete cure of ulcerative colitis.
What are the post-treatment guidelines?
Treatment of colitis includes a number of medications and proper diet (mainly except fluids and any type of spicy food). Even after the patient is overcome with this problem, he has to follow some guidelines given by the doctor to stay healthy. Treatment guidelines to be followed by a patient include regularly taking medicines, eating a healthy diet, consuming plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration, and practicing regular exercise to facilitate proper bowel movement..
However, patients suffering from severe colitis may require expensive medicines and even surgical treatment (if necessary) and for such treatments, the price range may be between Rs. 57,400 to Rs. 7,87,500 in India. This treatment is available in almost all major hospitals in India.
What are the treatment options?
Alternative treatments for colitis conditions include herbal and nutritional supplements, probiotics, fish oil (although excessive intake of fish oil can cause diarrhea), aloe vera gel, acupuncture, Panchakarma therapy, homeopathic or turmeric.
In addition, the patient should avoid spicy food, dairy products, alcohol, drinks, and fiber in his diet. Consuming small lightly nutritious food at regular intervals throughout the day, plenty of water, and multivitamin supplements helps to overcome this condition.
Ayurvedic Diet for patients with ulcerative colitis:
- Patients should take a balanced diet that includes carbohydrates (eg rice, potatoes, etc.) Proteins (such as lentils, pods, pea milk mass, almonds, etc.) should be vegetables and fruits.
- The patient should eat less oil, ghee, and chewing items as they increase the chances of diarrhea and air.
- Consumption of intoxicants should be discontinued.
- Excess of fruit and fruit juice, onion, spicy food many times increase the symptoms of the disease, so their use should be reduced.
- Patients who suffer from constipation due to this should have the right amount of fiber in their food, this reduces the complaint of constipation.
- Simultaneously the amount of water and liquids should also be high. This makes the refinement soft and regular.
- Sweet things should be reduced.
- Avoid food which has added preservative has been added.
Natural ayurvedic diet for the severity of ulcerative colitis:
- Care should be taken that the patient does not get dehydration due to frequent diarrhea and vomiting. The patient should increase the intake of water and fluids and can also drink Oral Rehydration Solution.
- Oil ghee and fatty foods should be eaten less as they can cause diarrhea, but the amount of carbohydrate and protein should be balanced so that the patient does not lose weight.
- Patients who suffer from constipation due to Distal Colitis should have the right amount of fiber in their food, this reduces the complaint of constipation. Simultaneously the amount of water and liquids should also be high. This makes the refinement soft and regular. Sweet things should be reduced. One should not eat food which is not made in the house and in which food preservative has been added.
- Hemoglobin deficiency can occur in the blood due to bleeding from the intestines and other vitamins can also be deficient, so patients may have to take more pills.
- The recurrence of the disease is reduced by taking the water fluids Magnesium and Vitamin.
Natural remedies for ulcerative colitis flare up:
1) Aloe vera
Aloe vera is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and aiding digestion. It is used to effectively deal with chronic diseases such as UC.
2) Wheatgrass Juice
Wheatgrass juice has been used for more than 30 years for the treatment of gastrointestinal and other diseases. wheatgrass juice is effective in reducing the symptoms of UC and may also reduce the problem of rectal bleeding. You will get relief by drinking 20 ml of juice daily for a month.
Turmeric has a compound called curcumin with anti-inflammatory properties. These compounds reduce acid secretion from the stomach including the stomach. It is also helpful in reducing inflammation. Not only this, but it also prevents ulcers in the intestines of the stomach. it is natural home remedy for the complete cure of ulcerative colitis patient.
4) Pineapple juice
Pineapple contains a type of enzyme Bromelain, which acts as a digestive aid. Apart from this, it also has inflammatory properties.
- Ayurvedic diet for UC patients:
According to the study, these elements of pineapple can be effective in fighting against stomach inflammation due to UC. Drink 2 glasses of juice daily for quick relief.
- To control ulcerative colitis, you must first remove refined carbohydrates from your diet. Due to this, problems due to inflammation in the intestines increase.
- In some cases, allergic reactions to a food item can cause ulcerative colitis. If you have inflammation in the intestines due to any food, then you should remove these things from your diet as a treatment for inflammation in the intestines. It may contain products made from maize, wheat, and milk.
- As a home remedy for intestinal inflammation, increase your intake of omega-3 fatty acid oils. Omega-3 is found more in fish oil and linseed oil. These oils help reduce the inflammatory process. It is better to take one to two teaspoons of flaxseed oil daily.
- Probiotics are believed to be beneficial in controlling ulcerative colitis. Probiotics help control harmful bacteria while reducing inflammation and provide protection to the mucus lining of the stomach.
- Herbal Teas are also very beneficial in home remedies for intestinal inflammation. You should start drinking ginger tea and green tea instead of consuming tea and coffee. Its anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties are beneficial for intestinal diseases such as irritable bowel disease.
How to cure ulcerative colitis permanently
- To reduce diarrhea, abdominal pain and gas, reduce or stop the consumption of dairy products.
- Symptoms may be aggravated by high fiber content such as fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Broccoli and cauliflower can cause more problems, so avoid eating these things.
- Omega-3 fatty acids contain healthy fats that are found in salmon and mackerel fish. It reduces the symptoms of ulcerative colitis by eliminating inflammation. Include fatty fish in your diet.
- Do not take spicy food, alcohol, and caffeine. Because of this, symptoms can take a more serious form.
- Instead of eating more than two or three times a day, eat small amounts of food five or six times. This makes food easily digested.
- Take gulkand or chew 4-5 rose petals daily
- Take bael juice daily
- Take sesham leave juice daily
- One should use alternate form of medicine like ayurveda or homeopathic for the permanent cure of ulcerative colitis
Homeopathic treatment for ulcerative colitis:
Homeopathy can play a very important role in the treatment of ulcerative colitis. Hoeopathy medicines treat ulcerative colitis from root and they balance the balance of immunity of the body. All these symptoms reduce stomach pain, diarrhea and bleeding in the cell. Along with this, the recurrence of these symptoms also decreases. These medicines provide long-term relief. Along with reducing the symptoms of the disease, it also improves our health and helps the body to absorb the nutritional elements more thoroughly.
While treating ulcerative colitis with homeopathy, this disease is considered different for every patient and the specifics of his disease are carefully examined. In homeopathy, there is not a single medicine that is used in all ulcerative colitis patients, rather the specific symptoms of each ulcerative colitis patient are checked and the medicine is given on that basis. At the same time, his personal symptoms are also given equal importance such as his mental state, mental instincts, etc. After evaluating all these symptoms, a personal homeopathic medicine is given which gives him complete rest and his ulcerative colitis. Cures from the root. After taking this medicine, the intensity of its symptoms decreases and their recurrence also decreases.
- Argentum Nitricum: It is used to relieve diarrhea with mucus and blood, excessive gas. It is also used to treat anxiety arising from diarrhea.
- Arsenicum album: It is used when feces smell bad and frequent, especially at night, and a burning pain in the stomach. Sudden cold is also treated with disease and death fear arsenicum album.
- Mercurius Corrosivus: It is used to treat bleeding and ulcerative sores, severely painful ointments and painful diarrhea with painful swelling of the stools. It can be taken if pain persists even after ointment.
- Nitricum acidum: It is used when there is diarrhea with mucous and blood and stalk pain. It is also taken in case of cold with anxiety of irritability.
- Phosphorus: It is used to treat bloody and painless diarrhea. It is also used to treat emotional hypersensitivity to the feelings of others.
Ayurvedic treatment for ulcerative colitis
Ulcerative colitis is a disease in which colon becomes inflamed and there is the formation of ulcers in the inner lining of the colon. It affects both large and small intestines. Inflammation of the endothelial layer of the colon. The ulcers cause immense pain and profuse bleeding in the stool. The colon becomes swollen a feeling of fullness and the urge to pass stool every time. It is like a nightmare to suffer painful defecation as stools can be explosive, full of blood, mucus, and pus. There are many causes of ulcerative colitis like genetic factors, stress, lack of sleep, eating patterns, alcohol, fried, and fatty food. According to Ayurveda, it is mentioned in purishavaha srotas. It is known as raktatisara in patients along with the imbalance of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha doshas in the body. Chandigarh Ayurveda center provides the best quality herbs for the formation of medicines which helps to get rid of this nightmare known as ulcerative colitis. It consists of no chemicals, preservatives, and additives which make it free from any kind of side effects.
The main ayurvedic medicines included in ulcerative colitis care kit are:
- Detox Premium Powder- 1 sachet twice daily
- Pitsekhar ras- 1 tab twice daily
- Kutaja ghan vati-1 tab twice daily
- Uti care tablets- 1 tab twice daily
- Liver care tablets- 1 tab twice daily
- Amalpitmishran syrup- 2 tsp twice daily
Detox premium powder- it is pure herbal formulation prescribed to ulcerative colitis patients. The main ingredients used to make this powder are shukta pishti, prawal pishti, Jahar Mohra pishti, kehrva pishti, Giloy satv, sutshekhar ras, shankh bhasma, kamdudha ras, moti bhasma. These are cooling herbs that provide relief in these diseases. It helps to restore the imbalance of various body metabolic reactions. It helps to heal ulcers. It consists of pishtis and calcium compounds like pearls and coral calcium. It helps to control bleeding and helps to control Pitta doshas. this is best ayurvedic medicines for proctitis treatment or for ulcerative colitis.
Dosage- 1 sachet twice daily with plain water
Kutaj (Holarrhena antidysenterica) is an amazing herb to treat digestive system disorders. It is a strong herb to control diarrhea caused due to inflammatory bowel disorder. it helps to burn all ama and endotoxins, heal inflammation, stop fermentation going inside the intestines and heals ulcers Also cure rectal bleeding, colon inflammation, and abdominal cramps.
Dosage– 1 tab twice daily with plain water
It is a pure herbo-mineral combination used to treat inflammatory bowel diseases, ulcerative colitis, and other symptoms caused by these diseases. It is used to balance the vitiated pitta doshas in the body. It has cool potency which helps to treat symptoms like a burning sensation, acid reflux, abdominal pain, heaviness. The main ingredients found are Shankh Bhasma, Shuddha Gandhak, Bael, Tankan Bhasma, Tamra Bhasma , Sonth, Pippali, Maricha, Dalchini, , Tejpata, etc. It is free from any colors, chemicals, additives, and fillers.
Dosage– 1 tab twice daily with plain water
UTI Care tablets
It is a pure herbal mineral 650 mg tablet used to treat burning sensation, pelvic pain, urine incontinence, bad odor. It possesses anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It has no side effects as it is free from colors, fillers, additives, and chemicals. It helps to normalize digestive heat and supports healthy digestive as wells as the urinary system. It is composed of Swarna Gairik (Red ochre) -150 mg. Yavakshar(Hordeum vulgare) -200 mg, Nuashadar (Ammonium chloride) -150 mg, Kalmi Shora (Potassium nitrate) -150 mg.
Dosage– 1 tab twice daily with plain water.
Liver care tablet
CAC liver care tablet is pure herbal combination composed of Kutaki(Picrorhiza kurroa), Imli Kshar( Tamarindus indica), Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata), Yavakshar( Hordeum vulgare), Bhumi amla( Phyllanthus niruri), Giloy(Tinospora Cordifolia), Mukta Shukta pisti, etc. it helps to improve the the blood circulation of blood helps to work against the burning sensation, helps to remove bacterial infections due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It supports the digestive system of the body. It helps to increases hemoglobin in the body and provide strength to the body.
Dosage– 1 tab twice daily with plain water
It is composed Guduchi(Tinospora cordifolia), of Vasa( Adhatoda vasica), Amla(Emblica officinalis), Neem(Azadirachta indica), Bhringraj(Eclipta alba), Haritaki(Terminalia chebula), Bahera(Terminalia bellirica, Yashtimadhu(Glycyrrhiza glabra), Mukta shukta bhasam, etc. it helps in the treatment of acidity, gastritis, improve digestion, treat symptoms like vomiting, nausea, headache, anorexia, and abdominal cramps. It helps to balance vitiated Pitta doshas.
Dosage– 2 tsp twice daily with plain water