Menorrhagia is defined as prolonged and excessive menstrual bleeding at regular menstrual cycle intervals. In Ayurvedic classics, it is known as Asrigdara, literally meaning ‘heavy flow of blood’, and is caused by vitiation in both the pitta dosha and rakhta dhatu (blood tissue).
- Pittaj Rajodushti
- Lohitkshara Yonivyaapad
Dosha – Apan Vayu, Vyan Vayu and Pitta Dosha
Dushya – Ras Dhatu and Rakta Dhatu
1. ACCORDING TO AYURVEDA
Etiological factors for heavy menstrual bleeding according to Ayurveda Acharya Charak have described the following causes of Asrugdar in Charak Chikitsa Sthan 30
- Intake of excessive sour, salty, heavy, katu, vidahi Anna which produces a burning sensation.
- The woman who consumes meat of domestic, aquatic, fatty animals.
- Payasa(rice cooked with milk)
- Curd, Curd water (Mastu) and suktall (vinegar)
- Adhyashan- Taking food before digestion of food already taken.
- Virudhashan- Incompatible diet
- Excessive coitus
- Riding, weight lifting
- Day Sleeping
2. ACCORDING TO MODERN SCIENCE
- Hormonal disturbances – Thyroid, obesity, and pcods lead to hormone imbalance and may result in If there is a change in the normal fluctuations of progesterone and estrogen, the endometrium, can build up too much. This is then shed during menstrual bleeding.
- Intrauterine device – Menorrhagia is a well-known complication of using a non-hormonal IUD.
- Pregnancy complications – An unusual location of the placenta, such as a low-lying placenta or placenta previa.
- Cancer – Uterine cancer and cervical cancer can cause DUB.
- Bleeding Disorders – A condition in which an important blood-clotting factor is deficient or impaired can cause abnormal menstrual bleeding.
- Adenomyosis – Adenomyosis often causing heavy bleeding and painful periods.
- Medications – Anti-inflammatory medications, hormonal medications (estrogen and progestins), and anticoagulants like warfarin or Lovenox, can cause heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding.
- Uterine Fibroids
- Dysfunction of the ovaries.
- Other medical conditions – A number of other medical conditions, including liver or kidney disease, may be associated with menorrhagia.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS
- Prolonged bleeding, longer than seven days
- Heavy bleeding, needing to change one or more sanitary pads or tampons every hour.
- Needing to use double sanitary protection to control your menstrual blood flow.
- Passing blood clots larger than a quarter with menstrual flow
- Restricting daily activities due to heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Needing to wake up to change sanitary protection during the night.
- Symptoms of anemia
- Shortness of breath (dyspnea)
- Blood tests – A sample of blood for iron deficiency (anemia) and other conditions, such as thyroid disorders or blood clotting abnormalities
- Ultrasound (USG)
- Endometrial biopsy
AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF MENORRHAGIA
According to Sushruta charya there are four measures for preventing excessive blood loss are as follows
- Sandhan – In sandhan karma wound healing is mainly done by Kashay rasatmak dravyas such as Lodhra (Symplocosracemosa), Udumber (Ficus racemosa), Nyagrodh (Ficus bengalensis).
- Skandana – Skandan Karma means coagulation which is done by dravyas having sheet virya or sheet guna pradhan dravyas.
- Pachana – Pachan karma carried out with Bhasma.
- Dahan Karma – By cauterization of blood vessels also proves efficient in controlling blood loss.
- Intake of Bala root powder with 40ml milk twice a day.
- Ashoka (saraca indica) twak ksheerpan 40 ml twice a day
- Kesar (saffron) with 1 tsp of honey and lick the spoon clean
- 1 gram lodhra choona, 1gram Nagkeshar choorna and 250 mg pravala bhasma should be intake with Rice water in twice a day.
- Lodhra choorna 1 gm + Jahar mohra churna pishti 250 mg
- Pushyanug Churna with tandulodaka (rice water)
- Eat kishmish (raisins) to satisfy your sweet tooth, while also pacifying the aggravated Pitta dosha.
- One glass milk with 1tsp ghee and ¼ tsp turmeric powder twice a day
- Phala ghrita with milk 10 ml once daily.
- Chandraprabha vati twice a day
- Ashwagandha churna-5mg twice a day
- Gairika bhasma + Pravalabhasma-10 gm BD
- Nagakesara (Mesua Ferrea) and Ushira (Vetiveria zizanioides) 3-5 grams combined with butter and mishri (rock sugar).
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre is the best center that treats menorrhagia of its root cause. CAC medicines for menorrhagia are:-
- Immuno Up Powder
- Feminine Care Tablet
- Makar Rasayan Tablet
- Stop Bleeding Tablet
APATHYA (DIET RESTRICTIONS)
- Avoid hot and spicy foods
- Avoid coffee and alcohol
- Low-fat diets will be good
- High fiber diet is recommended
- Cakes, cookies & pastries should be avoided