Thyroid gland produces hormones that play a role in different systems throughout your body. When your thyroid secretes either too much or too little of these hormones, then this condition is known as thyroid disease.
What is thyroid and its functions
The thyroid is a small , butterfly shaped gland , smaller in middle with two wings around the throat , located in the front of neck .
Thyroid gland release and control thyroid hormones that control metabolism. The thyroid controls metabolism with a few specific hormones — T4 and T3. These two hormones secretes by the thyroid and they tell the body’s cells how much energy to use. When thyroid gland works properly, it will maintain the right amount of hormones to keep your metabolism working at the right rate.
All this process controlled by pituitary gland . When there is decrease production of thyroid hormones or a high level of hormones , pituitary gland will adjust the levels with its own hormone. This hormone is called thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH).
What is thyroid disease?
When the thyroid gland produces too much thyroid hormone, body uses energy too quickly because of fast metabolism , this is called hyperthyroidism. On the other side of this, when thyroid produces too little thyroid hormone. This is called hypothyroidism.
Hypothyroidism is due to decreased functioning of the thyroid gland due to which T4 level decreases and hence TSH level increases in the body.
Symptoms associated with hypothyroidism include the following
- General fatigue
- Low blood pressure
- Reactive Hypoglycemia
- Unexplained weight gain
- Dry skin and puffy face
- General muscular weakness
- Increased cholesterol levels
Conditions that can cause hypothyroidism include:
- Thyroiditis: Throiditis is a condition in which swelling of thyroid gland occur , which can lower the hormones produces by thyroid gland .
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis: A painless condition , Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is an autoimmune condition in which the body’s own cells attack and damage the thyroid. This is an inherited condition.
- Iodine deficiency: Iodine is required for thyroid gland to produce hormones. An iodine deficiency is the major cause for hypothyroidism.
- A non-functioning thyroid gland: Sometimes, the thyroid gland is non – functional from birth that can cause hypothyroidism.
Hyperthyroidism is condition in which there is an excessive secretion of thyroid hormones in the body. In Hyperthyroidism T4 levels increase and TSH level decreases.
Mild cases of hyperthyroidism display few symptoms. As the condition progresses , following symptoms are seen
- Excessive sweating and intolerance to heat
- Fatigue, and general tiredness
- Reduced ability to concentrate
- Increased bowel movements
- Brittle hair
- Weight loss
- Enlarged thyroid gland or goiter
- Disturbed sleeping patterns
- Increased heart rate and palpitations
- Feelings of anxiety and nervousness
On rare occasions, hyperthyroidism weight gain may occur.
Conditions that cause hyperthyroidism include:
- Graves’ disease: In this condition overactive thyroid gland produces too much hormone. This problem is also known as diffuse toxic goiter (enlarged thyroid gland).
- Nodules: Hyperthyroidism can be caused by nodules that results in overactive thyroid gland .
- Thyroiditis: In thyroiditis, the thyroid gland releases hormones that were stored there.
- Excessive iodine: When your body have too much iodine , then thyroid gland makes more thyroid hormones than it needs.
How are thyroid disorders diagnosed?
- Diagnosis is done by taking medical history of patient and physical exam.
- Blood tests are helpful to measure levels of thyroid hormones and TSH.
- Imaging tests are commonly used when thyroid nodules or enlargement are present.
In hypothyroidism hormone replacement therapy is done . In which synthetic thyroid hormone is given in pill form by mouth.
In hyperthyroidism medications are given to decrease production of thyroid hormone or prevent its release from the gland.
Other medications that are given are helpful to manage the symptoms of hyperthyroidism.
How Can Ayurveda Help?
In Ayurveda Hypothyroidism can be co-related with galgand in which there is vitiation of vat and kapha along with meda dhatu occurs.
Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which pitta dosha involved and condition can be co-related with bhasmaka. In which metabolism of body increases.
With Ayurveda, use of herbal treatments, management of diet and lifestyle can stop Thyroid disease from progressing. Ayurvedic treatments help in the proper secretion of hormones and at the same time encourage the proper absorption of nutrients. The Ayurvedic treatments will help to boost the immune system and strengthen metabolism.
Management of Thyroid Conditions
Diet plays important in management of healthy metabolism . Below are some dietary tips
- Always Eat fresh and healthy food.
- Drink plenty of clean and fresh water.
- Avoid fried foods, junk food
- Avoid coffee, chocolate, tea, yoghurt, vinegar, meat.
- Use recommended daily doses of multivitamins and minerals to complete your nutrition requirements.
- Consume green Moong beans, cucumber, barley, old rice, and coconut oil.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol.
Depending on the body type, many Ayurvedic medicated herbs can be used .Trikatu, Triphala, Jatamasi, Shilajit, Shankhpushpi and Brahmi are just some of the Ayurvedic herbs which are beneficial in thyroid
- Panchakarma procedure are very effective in thyroid diseases . A body massage and detoxification procedure mostly Virechan is very effective in hyperthyroidism .
- Pranayam such as Ujjayi, KapalaBhata, and AnulomaViloma are effective.
- In addition, the yoga postures like Sarvanga asana, Suryanamaskara, JanuSirsasana and Halasana, and bending postures, are excellent in promoting the proper function of the thyroid gland.
Chandigarh Ayurveda centre provide the effective and natural treatment of thyroid disease. CAC provides combination of medicines for both conditions Hyperthyroidism and for hypothyroidism as well.
Hypothyroidism Care Kit contains
- Panchasakar Churan
- Detox Tablet
- Trikatu Syrup
- Thyroheal Tablet
Hyperthyroidism Care Kit contains
- Thyroheal Tablets
- Detox Premium Powder
- Kachnaar Guggul
- Trikatu Syrup
With the use of this medication one can get relief from these diseases naturally.
For more details visits our website