Ayurveda has successfully been treating inflammatory and degenerative conditions of the spine from Centuries based on the concept of Trayo Doshas.
In Ayurveda Samhitas salient features of Ankylosing Spondylitis is compared withAsthi-majjagata Vata. It is caused due to Vata dosha i.e. Vatik disorder.
It is found in both male and females because of the Current life Scenario like unsuitable sitting, sleeping, riding bicycle or bike, prolonged standing and eating low nutritional value food as the junk food.
It is mainly because of the imbalance of Vata and Kapha Doshas but sometimes can be because imbalance of the three Doshas as well.
Ayurveda offers amazing guidelines, medicines and various therapies for treating Ankylosing spondylitis. Since Ayurveda addresses the root cause of the problem, so getting fantastic. The strength of Ayurveda in the area of spine and joint treatments appreciated globally.
In the modern aspects for this disease analgesics and steroids are used and causing side effects hampering the physiology of the body.
Ayurvedic aspect of disease
Nidana (Etiology) :
According to AcharyaCharaka, The following factors aggravates theVata –
- Intake of dry, cold, scanty, light food
- Excessive sexual indulgence
- Ratrijagrana[waking up at night]
- Inappropriate therapeutic measures
- Swimming in excess
- Exercise and other physical activities in excess causing loss of dhatus.
- Worry, grief and affliction by disease causing Excessive emaciation
- Sleeping over uncomfortable bedding and seats
- Excessive anger
- Sleep during day time
- Suppressing of natural urges leading to formation of Aama
- After Traumatic incidence
- Marma Injury
- Abstinence from food
- Rides of Animal like Camel, Elephant,horse or fast moving vehicles and falling down from the seats of these animals and vehicles.
Rupa: (Symptoms) :
- Bhedanavatpida at Asthi and parva (Pricking pain in bone and small joints)
- Sandhishool (joint pain)
- Mansa BalaKshaya(Emaciation),
- NidranashaAswpna (Loss of sleep)
- SantataRuk (Continuous pain)
vitiated Vata travels in different parts of body
Rukshata (dryness) ,Parushata , Kharata (roughness) in Strotasa
Sthanasanshraya at Asthi and Majjadhatu
Management of Ankylosing Spondylitis
At our Chandigarh Ayurveda centre (CAC) with our Ancient knowledge and good clinical approach we are providing the treatment which is very effective treatment and based on the classical texts . Treatment is on long term basis and requires regular follow-ups. It comprises of Panchakarma procedures which helps in Purifying and detoxifying the imbalanced doshas and Dhatus for healthy well being along with medicines.
Panchakarma procedures usually requires around 30 to 90days on the basis of chronicity and how severity of the disease. Diet charts are also advised along with modification of lifestylehelps in recovering fast and also in prevents further worsening of the condition.
Total Cure of the disease is possible if the patient comes in early stages.
1. Pain – O – Kill tablet –
- Jyotishmati (Celastruspaniculatus)
- Devdaru (Cedrusdeodara)
- Rasna (Pluchealanceolata), etc.
The herbal tablet is gives promising effect in reducing stiffness, pain, tenderness, etc. based purely on herbs.
It help to relax your muscles and muscles cramps thus relieving pain. It maintains Proper blood circulation and thus giving soothing effect by pacifying tryo doshas.
Dose – Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
2. Nerve up tablet –
Nerve up tablets help in balancing the vata dosha and reduces kaphadosha, and acts as nervine stimulant. It Improves the central nervous system.
- shankhbhasma etc.
This tablet is effective in ankylosis spondylitis and overall Strength.
Dose – Take 1 tablet twice daily.
3. Pain – O – Kill Oil –
It is a medicated oil which is for External use only
It pacifies severe pain, tenderness, redness, swelling, etc.
- Rasna (Pluchealanceolata)
- Kushtha (Saussurealappa),
- Vatsnabh (Aconitum ferox), etc.
It relaxes the muscular cramps and helps in relieving severe pain.
Method of application – Apply over the affected area twice daily.
Detailed description about the Medicinal Kit Available at our website link is given below-
Some Useful drugs are given below regading the disease-
Panchakarma Procedures Proved to be very effective for the management of the disease.
- PratimarshaNasya with AnuTaila
Patients suffering from spinal conditions and thus vata gets aggravated.
- Add warm foods to the diet.
- Avoid Oily and too much of Spicy food items.
- High fibrous diet with low fat content.
- Avoid Vata Aggravating diet For example – Cauliflower, Cabbage, Mushrooms, Beans and Citrus Food items.
Yoga helps in providing efficient pain relief and core strengthening Through Pranayama and
Pranayama (Yogic breathing) exercises
- Ujjayi Pranayama (Conqueror Breath)
- Kumbhaka Pranayama (Breath Retention)
- Ashwini mudra
- Padmasana (Lotus Pose)
- Naukasana (Boat Pose)
- Marjaryasana (Cat Pose)
- Gomukhasana (Cow Pose)
- SetuBandhaSarvāṅgāsana (Bridge Pose)
- Salabhasana (Locust Pose)
- Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
- Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
- Balasana (Child’s Pose)
Yoga does promote health and overall wellness of the spine and helps in treating Ankylosing Spondylitis Flare-ups.