What is Hypertension or High Blood Pressure?
Blood pressure is defined as the force exerted by circulating blood against arterial walls is high enough that it causes various health problems, such as heart disease.
Blood pressure is measured on two different days. The first is the systolic blood pressure which represents the pressure in blood vessels when the heart contracts or beats. The second the diastolic blood pressure which represents the pressure in the vessels when the heart rests between beats. When the arteries become narrow it increases resistance and higher the blood pressure will be.
In high blood pressure, the systolic blood pressure reading is ≥140 mmHg and the diastolic blood pressure readings are ≥90 mmHg. High blood pressure generally develops over many years without any symptoms which cause damage to the blood vessels and can be detected. This problem affects nearly everyone eventually.
What are the Causes of High Blood Pressure?
Causes of high BP are:
There are two types of high blood pressure.
Primary (essential) hypertension
- Primary hypertension can be caused by various factors, including:
- Hormonal activities that manage the blood volume and pressure by using certain medications
- Various environmental factors, like stress, lack of exercise, anxiety, etc.
- In adults, there is no identifiable cause of high blood pressure and it is called primary (essential) hypertension, tends to develop gradually over many years.
This type of hypertension is caused by an underlying condition and is called secondary hypertension. This tends to appear suddenly and causes higher blood pressure than primary hypertension. Various conditions that can cause secondary hypertension including:
- Kidney problems
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Diabetes mellitus, due to an effect on kidney and nerves
- Hyperthyroidism, or an overactive thyroid gland
- Hyperparathyroidism, which affects calcium and phosphorous levels
- Adrenal gland tumors
- Congenital defects in blood vessels
- Certain medications, such as birth control pills, cold remedies, decongestants, pain relievers, etc
- Use of Illegal drugs, such as cocaine
What are the Symptoms of Hypertension?
Hypertension is called a “silent killer” most of the people do not experience any symptoms. It may take years for the condition to reach a level when the symptoms become obvious. So blood pressure must be measured regularly. Without detection, for many years it can damage the heart, blood vessels, and other body organs, such as the kidneys.
Hypertension is generally a silent condition and most people do not experience any symptoms. It may take years for the condition to reach a level when the symptoms become obvious.
Symptoms of severe hypertension include:
- Headache especially in the morning
- Shortness of breath
- Buzzing in the ears
- Irregular heart rhythms
- Bleeding from nose
- Pain in chest
- Visual changes
- Blood in urine
- These symptoms require proper medical treatment. They don’t occur in everyone but waiting for a symptom could be fatal.
- In severe cases, the symptoms include:
- Chest pain
- Muscle tremors
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment for Hypertension?
Most of the people are taking allopathic medicines for maintaining their blood pressure but they are unaware that prolonged use of these medicines will give birth to other diseases. These medicines will only maintain blood pressure but not deal with the root cause of diseases.
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre is providing you wonderful Ayurvedic solution for curing hypertension. We are providing you an Ayurvedic kit known as Hypertension care kit which will work on the root cause of the disease and thereby reduces the symptoms associated with hypertension. This kit contains Sarpagandha Ghan vati, Manasamrita Gutika, Brodley Syrup, and Trikatu Tablets which will maintain the healthy functioning of the heart.
1. Sarpagandha Ghan Vati
Sarpagandha Ghan Vati is a classical Ayurvedic formulation that has been used in Ayurveda for many ages to maintain the blood pressure. The main herb used which is used for the preparation of this tablet is Sarpagandha (Rauwolfia serpentina) roots. This herb has various medicinal properties such as antihypertensive, anti-anxiety, anti-diuretic, sedative, digestive stimulant, antipsychotic, etc. According to Ayurveda texts, this herb balances the Vata as well as Kapha dosha in the body which hence manages hypertension, tachycardia, insomnia, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
2. Manasamrita Gutika
Manasamrita Gutika is a herbal formulation which is formulated with various ingredients like Nagabala (Grewia populifolia), Nirgundi (Vitex negundo), Vacha (Acorus calamus), etc. These effective tablets manage high blood pressure and also cures depression, nervous shivering, panic attack, nervine weakness, speech-related issues, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
3. Brodley Syrup
Brodley Syrup is a herbal syrup comprises of various herbs like Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), etc. These have coolant properties that calm the nerves and provide relief to the patient. This syrup also shows anti-depressant, anti-inflammatory, immunomodulator, analgesic, antioxidant, and anti-hypertensive properties. Regular use of this syrup balances the blood pressure in an individual.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonfuls twice daily with normal water.
4. Trikatu Tablets
Trikatu tablets are classical herbal tablets that are prepared from three effective herbs like Pippali (Piper longum), Ginger (Zingiber officinale), and Black pepper (Piper nigrum). Being an antioxidant, it eliminates the harmful toxins from the body. With its regular use, it balances Kapha dosha in the body and maintains the blood pressure level naturally.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Hypertension?
Panchakarma treatment works on the root cause and cleanses the body internally by eliminating all toxins from the body. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre is providing you the best Panchakarma therapies that are beneficial in hypertension.
- Shirodhara: In this procedure, the lukewarm medicated oil is slowly poured on the forehead that keeps the mind relax and treats other associate symptoms like headache, anxiety, stress, etc.
- Nasayam: In this panchakarma procedure herbal oil is administered in each nostril. It opens the blocked channels in the head and is the best procedure for hypertensive patients.
Some healthy Tips & diet for Hypertensive Patients:
- Reduce the salt intake in the diet
- Eat fresh fruits and green vegetables in raw form
- Drink plenty of water daily
- Avoid junk food items
- Reduce the body’s weight
- Do exercise regularly
- Practice yoga and Pranayam especially breathing exercises
- Avoid tea, coffee, eggs, and meat.
- Sleep for at least 8 hours during the night
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Perform yogas like Vajrasana, shavasana, paschimottasana, virasana, setu bandhasana, sukhasana, Ardha mastsyendrasana, bhastrika Pranayama, etc.