Rheumatoid Arthritis termed as Amavata in Ayurveda is known as an autoimmune disease that leads to chronic inflammation and causes severe pain in the small and large joints. It is also responsible for inflammation of the tissue surrounding the joints, as well as in other organs in the body such as kidneys, eyes, heart, and lungs. Autoimmune diseases are diseases that occur when own body’s tissues are attacked by their immune system. Patients with autoimmune diseases such as Rheumatoid arthritis or Amavata consist of antibodies in their blood that attacks their body tissues, where they lead to inflammatory conditions. Because it can affect multiple organs of the body, Rheumatoid Arthritis or Amavata is referred to as a systemic illness and also known as rheumatoid disease.
It was noticed that about 75% of RA patients are women. About, 1 – 4% of women may get rheumatoid arthritis in their lifetime. The disease most often begins between the ages of 30-50. Rheumatoid Arthritis is defined as a chronic disease that causes joint pain, stiffness, swelling, and decreased movement of the joints. Small joints in the feet and hands are most commonly affected. The stiffness of joints in active RA is often the worst in the morning that commonly lasts for one to two hours (or even the whole day). It generally improves with the movement of the joints. If the person having stiffness for a long time in the morning it is indicated that you may have RA, as this is not common in other conditions.
Generally, there are 100 different types of arthritis but most common is osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and ankylosing spondylitis.
- Pain in joints
- Inflammation in joints
- Stiffness, swelling, redness, and warmth
- Tenderness in inflamed joints
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Dry eyes and mouth from a related health problem
- Morning stiffness for 30 minutes or longer
- The same joints on both sides of the body are affected.
The specific causes of Rheumatoid Arthritis have yet to be identified. Thus it is an autoimmune disease but several conditions that cause rheumatoid arthritis are given below –
- Family history
- Environmental exposures
- Hormonal imbalance
- Weak immune system.
- Genetic defect
- Gradual deterioration of cartilage
- Physical examination- check swelling, redness, and tenderness
- Imaging examination- X-ray, MRI
- Joint fluid analysis- fluid is withdrawn with a needle from the affected joint and with this one can check inflammation or any infection that causes pain.
In Ayurveda, Rheumatoid Arthritis is termed as ‘’Amavata’’. Amavata is a disease in which vitiation of Vata Dosha and accumulation of Ama take place in joint(s), and it simulates rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in modern parlance. Ama is an undigested product, which is not homogeneous for the body. Whenever that Ama gets localized in the body tissue or joints, it can lead to the production of pain, stiffness, swelling, tenderness, etc in the related joints.
Common signs and Symptoms are Jwara (pyrexia), Alasya (lethargy), Apaka (indigestion), Aruchi (anorexia), Gaurav (heaviness in the body), Asyavairasya (altered taste perception), Daurbalya (weakness), Akarmanyata (inability to do work), Utsahahani (laziness), Angamarda (body ache), Daha (burning sensation), Trishna (increased thirst), etc.
A Vata-type arthritis diet is used to increase Vata doshas – so indigestible food, easily digestible, cold drinks and cold foods, like salads & smoothies, should be avoided. Legumes, barley, dried grains of corn and, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants have to be avoided.
Normally, resin and extract of the Guggulu plant are used as medicine for treatment. Guggulu has a multipurpose effect – it acts as an anti-inflammatory, expels gases and also acts as a laxative and detoxifying agent, and many more. Besides, it helps in lubrication and rejuvenation of the joints, helps in the movement of joints. There are different types of guggul, for balancing Vata doshas e.g.: Yograj guggul. Haritaki is also useful in this. Useful in osteochondrosis, gout, etc. It helps to restore the mobility of joints and keeps them fit.
Pitta Arthritis is a diet that increases Pitta doshas. Hot and spicy foods, spinach, yogurt tomatoes, etc. are to avoid. Amalaki is very useful
Apply Cold coconut or castor oil on affected joints is very beneficial. A paste made with sandalwood water and dust, which is rubbed in affected areas provides a soothing effect. In the case of tenderness and inflamed joints, cold compresses heal inflammation and pain in joints.
Kapha Arthritis uses a diet to balance Kapha doshas – avoid cold drinks and dairy products. Punarnava Guggal, Bibhitaki, etc. are recommended for this type of arthritis.
It is advisable to take a spoonful of Triphala churan with half to one glass of lukewarm water at night time. Triphala is an effective treatment in all types of arthritis. In rheumatoid arthritis, the chavanprash consists of 50 herbs and minerals, has a very good healing effect.
Food to be taken:
- Grains which are easy to digest like cooked rice, oats, and cream of wheat
- Legumes like lentils, dal, moong beans, tofu, and miso
- Consume only lukewarm or water boiled with ginger root, which eases digestion and helps to remove toxins from the body
- Take more and more green and leafy vegetables
- Take spices like garlic, ginger, and turmeric as they have anti-inflammatory properties and aid with digestion
- Sweet potatoes
- Cooked or soaked raisins
- Cooked apples
Exercise like yoga, swimming, tai chi, and walking are recommended. Deep breathing like anulom viyom and daily meditation is also recommended. Yoga may be especially beneficial for RA. Helps to relieve pain, provide energy and maintain overall physical and mental health,
- going to bed early and rising early is best in arthritis
- avoiding naps during the day if not needed much
- take a light dinner two to three hours before bed, and then go with light walking
- do massage of the soles of the feet with warm sesame oil a or putting on socks before getting into bed
Ayurveda Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis by CAC:
- Detox Premium Powder
Detox premium powder is a composition of herbal ingredients that detox your body by removing the toxins naturally. It contains ingredients like jahar mohra, akik pishti, gandhak rasayan, shankh bhasma, moti pishti, kamdudha ras, etc. It is the best medicine in reducing the redness, tenderness, stiffness, swelling in the case of arthritis.
- Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
- Kaunchbeej Capsule
Kaunchbeej is best known for its health benefits. The capsule contains the bioactive alkaloids mucunine, oils, pruriendine, and gallic acids. It is frequently used for the management of rheumatoid as it relieves swelling, redness, pain in the joints. Kaunchbeej capsule is widely used for the strengthening of the joints.
- Recommended Dosage – Take 1 capsule twice daily with normal water.
- Panchasakar Churna
As its name describes the churna has made up of a total of 5 natural ingredients – Swarna patri (Cassia angustifolia), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Shatapushpa (Foeniculum vulgare), and Saindhava lavana (Rock salt). This churna is very beneficial to decrease the effect of aggravated Vata dosha thus relieves the excessive pain, discomfort, tenderness, etc. This wonderful remedy also corrects the digestive problems and other associated symptoms of Arthritis.
- Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablespoon with lukewarm water at bedtime.
- Swarna Guggulu
Swarna guggulu is one of the best and effective medicine to cure Arthritis, Sciatica, Joints pain and other physical weakness. The main key ingredients of this tablet are Ashwagandha, Kumkum, and Swarna bhasma. These ingredients reduce stiffness, pain, cure difficulty in walking, and provide strength to the joints.
- Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
- Nerve up tablet
CAC Nerve up tablet is a herbo-mineral tablet and is the purely Ayurvedic formulation. CAC Nerve up tablets helps in balancing the Vata doshas. It reduces Kapha doshas and acts as a nervine stimulant. It shows effective results in improving the central nervous system. It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchala, shudha shilajeet, abhrak bhasma, praval pishti, shankh bhasma etc. These contain natural vatahar properties and helps in curing Vata diseases.
- Swelling in joints
- Erectile disfunction.
- Body weakness
6 Sheet Dhara
It is herbo mineral and purely ayurvedic formulation. It works on all the three doshas of the body but mainly acts on pitta dosha. It contains Ajwaion, Kapur (camphor) and Mint leave that help to reduce Acidity and burning sensation in the chest region with its cooling effects. It relaxes your mind also maintains Blood pressure. CAC Sheet dhara help in controlling mood swings by which many women are affected nowadays. It also controls burping, nausea and bloating.
USES OF SHEET DHARA:
- Acid Reflux
- Burning sensation in the chest region
- Maintain blood pressure
- Control mood swings
- Stomach ulcers
- Improves Appetite
Medications can reduce inflammation in joints to relieve pain and prevent or slow joint damage. Occupational and physical therapy can help in protecting joints. If joints are severely damaged by arthritis Panchakarma plays the best role in preventing the damage and allow the patient to work free from any kind of stiffness, discomfort, pain, etc.
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides the best Panchakarma therapies to manage the symptoms of arthritis in any stage. The procedures are done by experienced therapists under the guidance of expert Doctors. The therapies are given below –
- Anuvasana Vasti – Anuvasana means to stay. They neither aggravate the doshas nor cause any complication. Saindhvadi oil is effective oil for anuvasana Vasti in amavata. Vasti is considered as the most useful therapeutic procedures in which medicated oils, decoctions, decoctions with milk, are introduced into the large intestines through the rectum with the help of basti yantra. Vasti is the best treatment for vata dosha, so also for pitta, kapha, rakta in sansarga & sannipata doshas. Vasti can eradicate most of the diseases occurring in Sakha, kostha & marma sthana.
- Kshara Vasti – Kshara Vasti is considered as a Shodhana Chikitsa in the case of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Patients who have symptoms like Aruchi, Jwara, Shula, Shoth, are mainly recommended for this procedure. The therapy is very beneficial in removing the toxins and maintains the normal functioning of the digestive system.
- Baluka Sweda – Swedan is a specialized treatment in Ayurveda which helps in providing unparalleled relief in pain, redness, swelling, stiffness, etc. In Baluka sweda we use heated sand tied in a bolus to provide heat to the pain-affected joints or body parts.