The ascites word is of Greek origin which simply means bag or sac. Ascites is a pathological condition of collection of fluid within the abdominal cavity. In men, there is no or little intraperitoneal fluid, but in women, there is 20 mL normally. Ascites is an abnormal build-up of fluid inside the abdomen or belly. This is commonly seen in patients suffering from cirrhosis of liver problems. Approximately 80% of patients with liver cirrhosis patients develop ascites. Ascites is the build-up of fluid in the abdominal organs and abdominal lining.
The fluid is pale yellow and known as ascetic fluid. The ascitic fluid has many reservoirs like liver diseases, cancers, congestive heart failure or kidney failure.
- Liver cirrhosis is the most common cause
- Abdominal carcinoma
- Congestive heart failure
- Abdominal tuberculosis
- Peritoneal mesothelioma
- Renal dialysis
- Chronic hepatitis C or B infection
- Alcohol abuse
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Hepatitis b or c
- History of alcohol abuse
- Heart and kidney patient
- Ovarian, pancreatic, liver, or endometrial cancer
- Pedal edema
- Rapid gain in girth of the abdomen
- The anxious look of the patient
- Fluid thrill
- Shifting dullness of fluid in the abdomen on percussion
- Inverted umbilicus
- Distension of abdomen
- Shortness of breath
- Loss of appetite
Types of Ascites:
There are two types of ascites:
- Transudative Ascites and exudative ascites- It depends upon the amount of protein present in the fluid
- Another classification has been derived based on the amount of albumin in ascetic fluid compared to albumin measured in the blood. It’s named as SAAG Serum Ascites Albumin Gradient.
- Ascites which are related to portal hypertension due to liver cirrhosis, CHF, is generally greater than 1:1 while the Ascites caused by other reasons i.e. Malignant, pancreatitis ) is lower than 1:1.
In Ayurveda, ascites can be correlated with jalodara a type of udararoga (Disease of the abdomen). There is the aggravation of vata dosha in ascites which gets accumulated in udar (abdomen) between twaka (skin) and mamsa (muscles) which leads to abdominal swelling.
- Physical examination by bulging flanks and fluid waves performed by a doctor examining the abdomen, only if the fluid is greater than 500ml.
- Ultrasound of abdomen
- CT scan
- Drink alcohol in moderate quantity. This can help to prevent liver cirrhosis.
- For hepatitis B, get vaccinated.
- Hepatitis can be sexually transmitted.
- Avoid sharing or usage of needles. Sharing needles transmit hepatitis.
Treatment by CAC
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides the best natural way to cure the condition of ascites by using “Ascites Care Kit”. This kit contains ayurvedic herbs which improve digestion and balances the aggravated levels of Vata dosha. This kit contains 5 products – Gokhru capsules, Detox Premium Powder, Yakrit Vati, Sheet dhara syrup, Trikatu tablets, Gokhru churna.
1. Gokhru Capsule:
Gokhru capsule is a pure ayurvedic medicine that is very effective in ascites as it has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the swelling of the abdomen. It also acts as a diuretic which causes increased urine secretion from the body and removal of all the toxins. These capsules contain pure extract of Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris).
Recommended Dosage: Take one capsule twice daily with normal water.
2. Detox Premium Powder:
Detox premium powder contains various herbo-mineral ingredients. This herbal powder is prepared from Moti pishti, Prawal pishti, Shukta pishti, Giloy satva, Kamdudha ras, Jahar mohra, Akik pishti, Gandhak rasayan, Tal sindoor, Shankh bhasm, Sutshekhar ras, Sudhyog tab, Shwet parpati, Yavakshaar. This herbal powder helps in the removal of toxins from the whole body, strengthens the body, and helps in maintaining general health.
Recommended Dosage: Take one sachet twice daily with normal water.
3. Panchsakar Churna:
This churna is very effective for constipation patients as it shows antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, laxative, & analgesic properties. It is a classical herbal churna prepared from ingredients like Shatapushpa, Balaharitaki, Shunthi, Swarnapatri, & Saindhav lavana. It helps in removing all toxins from the body & it provides good results in constipation. All signs & symptoms related to constipation are treated with the regular use of this churna.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful at bedtime with warm water.
4. Sheet Dhara Syrup:
This herbal syrup improves appetite, reduces hyperacidity, improves digestion, and helps in maintaining overall health. Sheet dhara syrup is herbal formula prepared from ajwain satav, peppermint, & mushak kapoor.
Recommended Dosage: Take a half teaspoon in a half cup of water twice daily on an empty stomach.
5. Trikatu Tablet:
Trikatu tablets are a mixture of three herbs which are Saunth (Zingiber officinale), Marich (Piper nigrum), Pippali (Piper longum). These tablets improve digestion, boost your metabolism, helps in eliminating fat tissues and kapha dosha, support respiratory functions, and remove impurities and ama from the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take one tablet twice daily with normal water.
6. Gokhru Churna:
Gokhru churna is the single herbal powder that contains the pure extract of herb Gokshura. This powder act as a diuretic decreases inflammation, used in renal calculi, & urinary tract infections.
Recommended Dosage: Take one teaspoonful twice daily with normal water.