There are lots of factors that cause psoriasis, but the exact cause is still not clear. But it is believed to be a result of an abnormality in the immune system. This abnormality may cause the cells in our skin to grow rapidly but these aren’t shed at the same rate. As a result, patches form on the surface of the skin, and this condition is termed as psoriasis. A genetic predisposition may be responsible for this. Stress is another factor that can cause psoriasis.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS
Patches or bumps on the skin (usually pink/red), Silvery-white scales, dryness, Dry and Flaky skin that resembles dandruff, Inflammation or burning sensation, Bleeding (from scratching the skin).
These symptoms may not all be present at the same time and maybe present intermittently. Although there is less cure for this skin disorder, there are other remedies that can help treat it and control the symptoms that often occur.
The following are the best remedies that psoriasis patients can try out to get relief.
1. ALOE VERA
The softening and moisturizer properties of aloe vera give relief from the itchiness and irritation. Its anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants help to reduce the swelling and treat the skin condition faster.
- Extract fresh gel from an aloe leaf and blend this along with the lavender oil.
- Apply some of this on the affected part and let it sit for 20-25 minutes.
You can also use aloe vera gel by itself to treat psoriasis. Apply this twice a week on the affected skin.
2. COCONUT OIL
Coconut oil is one of the best home remedies for psoriasis which gives amazing results. This will give your skin relief from the symptoms and lock the oil’s nutrients in your skin, preventing the dry patches from spreading or recurring.
If you do not have coconut oil handy, many alternate oils can be used for psoriasis. These include castor oil, argan oil, jojoba oil, mustard oil, hemp oil, and vitamin E oil.
- Lightly heat the oil to melt it.
- Apply this on the skin and massage gently.
- Leave this on overnight.
You can add a few drops of essential oil to coconut oil before applying it, for faster results. Best essential oils that benefit psoriasis patients are lavender oil, tea tree oil, neem oil, and peppermint oil. Repeat this twice a week.
Glycerin is a great moisturizer and softening agent. It locks in moisture and treats the dryness and flakiness.
How to use-
- Apply glycerin on the patches on the skin and leave it on as an overnight treatment.
- Take bath as usual in the morning.
Repeat this once or twice a week depending on the severity of your patches.
Ginger detoxifies the blood and has anti-inflammatory effects on psoriasis. It also contains antimicrobial compounds that will prevent infections.
HOW TO USE
- Mix the herb in hot water for a few minutes.
- Strain the tea and add honey and lemon juice according to your flavor.
- Sip on this tea while it is still warm.
Drink 1-2 cups of ginger tea every day.
5. WITCH HAZEL
This herb contains some unique properties and has anti-inflammatory and astringent properties that are key properties to treat skin conditions like psoriasis. Symptoms like itching sensation, flaky skin, and irritation can be reduced to a great extent.
- Wash your hair with shampoo.
- Dilute the witch hazel with water. Apply this on affected skin and massage for a minute or two.
- Rinse it off after a few minutes.
Do this once a week.
Yogurt helps to reduce itching by moisturizing the skin. It also exfoliates the dry and dead skin cells from the psoriasis bumps.
- Apply the yogurt on the scalp and let it sit for half an hour.
- Wash the yogurt off with a mild shampoo.
Repeat this once a week.
7. APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
Apple cider vinegar constitutes anti-inflammatory properties. This can help reduce the soreness and irritation of the affected skin. Its antiseptic properties can also help to prevent any infections from developing on the skin.
- Dilute 2 tablespoons of ACV with half a cup of water.
- Apply this on the scalp using a Q-tip.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse it off thoroughly.
Repeat this twice a week.