The market of antacids is growing in a propelling way due to the increasing incidence of acidity these days. Have You ever feel tired after having food and have heartburn, tend to burp or have a feeling of bit bloated? If yes, then you can suffer from one of the most prevalent and severe issue, stomach acidity.
What is Stomach Acid and Why it is Generated?
Stomach acid is famously known as hydrochloric acid which contains one hydrogen ion and one chlorine ion, which is generated to do functions like –
- Sterilization of the food: Stomach acid helps to sterilize the harmful invaders like bacteria and other microorganisms that come with food.
- Protein digestion: Stomach acid is essential to break down the protein present in the food as it helps to activate a protein called pepsin, a proteolytic enzyme. This enzyme is necessary for protein metabolism in the stomach.
- Vitamin absorption: Stomach acid is required to activate the glycoprotein, an essential element for vitamin B12 absorption.
- Stimulates bile and enzymes: Stomach acid aids to release digestive enzymes from the pancreas and bile from the liver and gall bladder.
- Close esophageal sphincter and open pyloric sphincter: This leads to protect the fine esophagus tissue from the harsh acids in the stomach and allows food to move from the stomach to the small intestine, respectively.
But Why The Good Stomach Acid Becomes Terrible for the Health?
Anything from poor diet to overuse of medicines can lead to producing stomach acid. Let’s look to them –
- Poor diet: Having processed and fast foods, sugars, grains, carbonated drinks lead to change the microbiome and cause severe.
- Eating on the go or too quickly: This is one the major issue these days. Most of the people do not get time to eat; as a result, they eat in a hurry. This eating routine also leads to acidity.
- Overuse of antibiotics: An over intake of such medications may lead to the irrupted microbiome and cause intestinal inflammation. This also leads to produce the stress hormone, which impairs the production of HCL.
- Chronic stress: High stress is also a significant acidity cause factor. High stress obstructs the digestive tract and causes poor digestion.
- H. Pylori infection: H. Pylori is an essential part of the human microbiome, however, with the poor diet and overuse of medication this microbe starts to grow in extra amounts across the lining of the stomach and produce an enzyme called urease. This enzyme breaks down urea in the stomach and causes ammonia and carbon dioxide, which leads to heartburn and severe acidity issues.
- Overuse of NSAIDs: These days people tend to use more and more drugs like Aspirin, Ibuprofen and Tylenol like candy. These over the counter medications are not always good. Its overuse leads to wear down stomach lining and cause stomach acidity.
- Food sensitivities: Yes, the food sensitivity. Some of the sensitivities related to some food such as gluten, peanuts or pasteurized dairy may also lead to acidity.
What Are The Major Symptoms Of Stomach Acidity?
- Tired after having meals
- Feeling of fullness but still hungry
- Acid reflux
- Gas and belching
- Bloating and cramping
- Undigested food in the stools
- Bad body odour and bad breath
- Frequent nausea
Which Tests Can Confirm The Acidity Problem?
- Complete blood count and comprehensive metabolic panel
- Low chloride and phosphorus levels
- High bun levels
- Abnormal serum proteins
- Abnormal MCHC, MCH, MCV
- The baking soda stomach acid test
- The gastric acid secretion test
- The Heidelberg stomach acid test
How Can It Be Cured?
People take various antacids and prefer over the counter medication for the cure. However, such drugs may cause specific side effects and therefore should go for a better way of management.
What Is The Best Way To Manage Acidity?
The answer is Ayurveda. Ayurveda is the holistic regimen of treatment originated 3000 years ago in India. The principle of Ayurveda is the belief in the wellness of health by balancing spirit, body and mind. The pillars of Ayurveda is standing on the base of three doshas which control all body functioning. But not all doshas control all processes, every dosha has their unique property and later the combine to run the body.
It handles functions like cell division, breathing, heart functioning, detoxification via intestines, and blood flow.
It handles the digestion, metabolism, and certain hormones associated with appetite, which can disrupt with poor and wrong diets.
It handles the body strength, muscle growth, weight and body’s immune system.
How Stomach Acidity Associated With Ayurveda?
Acidity associated heartburn and gas formation in the stomach in Ayurveda is known as urdhuvagata amalpitta. In acidity, the pitta dosha got aggravate in the body. This aggravated pitta worsens the digestive fire and leads to improper digestion of food. It produces ama (toxins) in the various digestive channels which cause the problem of hyper-acidity.
How Can It Be Treated?
There are many ayurvedic products on the market. One of the best ayurvedic treatment for acidity is provided by the Chandigarh Ayurveda -Acidity Care Kit. This kit contains the combination of effective herbal formulations, which together works very well.
- Pittashekhar Rasa : This rasa effectively controls the pitta and associated symptoms by improving digestion and appetite. It also balances the pH of the stomach and regulates the bowel movements.
- Agnimukha Churna : This churna creates a balance between pitta and vata. It helps to maintain the bloating, indigestion and gastric problems.
- Digestion Care Sachets : According to their name, this formulation helps to restore the digestive system and provides immunity against lots of stomach infections.
- Amalapitta Mishran : This mishran is helped to treat gastritis, hyperacidity, nausea, indigestion, headache due to acidity, and vomiting.
How Should These Be Consumed?
- Pittashekhar rasa – 1 tablet twice daily
- Agnimukha churna – 1/2 teaspoon twice daily
- Digestion care sachets – 1 sachet twice daily
- Amalapitta mishran – 2 teaspoon twice daily
What Are The Do’s And Dont’s For Stomach Acidity?
- Try to consume more fiber in your diet
- Keep an eye on weight
- Eat healthy, especially green and Cruciferous vegetables and fruits.
- Avoid spicy, oily, fatty and processed foods.
- Don’t have food before bed.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption.