Top 10 Health Benefits of Onion
- Botanical Name – Allium cepa L.
- Family – Liliaceae
- Sanskrit name – Palandu, Mukhadushak, Yavneshth
Based on colour onion is of two varieties – red and white. It is used all across India as vegetable.
Onion contains proteins, carbohydrates, calcium, iron, vitamin A, B, and C and its leaves contain a volatile oil with very unpleasant odour. It also contains stable oil which contains disulphide.
Medicinal Properties of Onion
- Rasa – Madhur, Katu
- Guna – Guru, Ushna, Tikshna,
- Virya – Usha
- Vipaka – Madhura
- Effects on Dosha – It increase pitta and kapha, pacifies vata
Health Benefits of Onion
- In case of Cold give 10-20 ml juice mixed with honey and use 2-3 times a day. It very beneficial in curing Cold.
- In case of eye disorders like Night Blindness, Eye Sight and Cataract squeeze juice of white variety onion mixed with double quantity of honey. Put 2 drops of this solution in eyes regularly.
- In case of ear ache put 2-4 drops of warm juice in ears. It cures ear ache and internal swelling of ears.
- In case of Cough use 5-10 ml fresh juice mixed with sugar.
- In case of Flatulence 20 ml of fresh juice, 1 gram black pepper, on pinch of asafoetida and salt thrice a day. It cures the gastric pain and abdominal gas.
- Calculus – by using 20-30 ml fresh juice 3 times a day for 2 months. It dissolves renal stones.
- By using decoction of onion, its cures burning sensation while urination.
- In piles grind 2 onions and apply paste on boils it cures the piles.
- Insect bite – applies its juice on bitten area. It gives immediate relief from pain.
- Immature abscess – apply paste of onion over abscess and it promotes its healing.