Sciatica – Home Remedies and Panchkarma Treatments
Sharp shooting pain in the buttock, back of the thigh, leg along the path of the sciatic nerve.
Symptoms of Sciatica
- Piercing pain, stiffness, and cramps radiating down from back, buttock, back of the thigh, leg and foot region.
- Heaviness, loss of appetite, constipation
Causes of Sciatica
- Compression or trauma of sciatic nerve due to ruptured intervertebral disc.
- Ruptured intervertebral disc
- Osteoarthritis of lumbo-sacral vertebrae, ankylosing spondylitis
- Piriformis muscle spasm
All these causes compress the sciatic nerve causing inflammation and pain in the nerve.
Home Remedies for Sciatica
- Eranda (Ricinus Communis) is the drug of the choice. Two teaspoon of Eranda pak can be taken with warm milk. It is the most effective remedy in sciatica.
- Guggul is another very useful drug given in sciatica. It improves the microcirculation
- Ginger, garlic are good in sciatica. Two cloves of garlic can be added to milk. Drink it at least two times.
- Apply fresh horseradish poultice on the affected area for an hour. It works like magic in sciatic pain.
- Taking hot and cold compresses are a good way to treat sciatica. Take a towel and dip it in hot water and compress on back, then in cold water compress. It relaxes and contracts the vessels thus increasing blood circulation there. This phenomenon relieves pain.
Panchkarma Treatment for Sciatica
- Sarwang Abhyang – Full body massage with warm medicated oils. It lubricates , nurtures the cells, pacifies vayu in body
- Swedana – steaming on body. Together abhyanga and swedan process detoxifies the body
- Vasti – medicated oils, decoction are given through anal route. It pacifies the dryness, vat and strengthens the intestines. Vasti is considered asthe best therapy for all vatic disorders.
- Siravedha – Venous puncture.
- Agnikarma – Cauterisation
- Raktamokshan – Blood purifying process.
- Good diet, green leafy vegetables, fibre rich diet
- One should sleep on firm mattress.
- Adapt a good posture while sitting and standing
- Gentle exercise.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water every day.
- Avoid lifting heavy weights.
- Avoid junk spicy deeply fried food.
- Avoid potatoes, rajma, white gram, curd, lady fingers
- Heavy exercise, jumping, running should be avoided.
Sharp shooting pain in the buttock, back of the thigh, leg along the path of the sciatic nerve. Symptoms of Sciatica Piercing pain, stiffness, and cramps radiating down from back, buttock, back of the thigh, leg and foot region. Heaviness, loss of appetite, constipation Causes of...Vaidya Jagjit Singhchandigarhayurvedcentre@gmail.comAdministratorVaidya Jagjit Singh is an Ayurvedic Physician in Chandigarh and has an experience of 30 years in this field. He is founder of Chandigarh Ayurved Centre. Chandigarh Ayurvedic Centre provides best ayurvedic treatment & panchakarma therapies centre in Chandigarh. Chandigarh Ayurvedic Centre is a leading Multi speciality Ayurvedic Clinic of North India.Vaidya Jagjit Singh