Isabgol (Psyllium husk) – Health Benefits, Uses & Side Effects
The main place of its origin is Iran from where it is imported in India. But now it is also cultivated in Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, and Haryana. Seed and seed powder of plantago ovate species, described here, are used for medicinal purposes. It has two more species- Plantago Lanceolata, Plantago Major.
The plant is 3-6 ft tall, seasonal, bushy, and without stem. The leaves have three veins, are undivided, and 7-8 inch long. The stem of the flowers is like ears of wheat on which tiny flowers grow containing boat- shaped seeds. The seeds have husk on them, which forms a slippery, tasteless and odourless slime when it come in contact with water.
The seeds have large amounts of mucilages and albumin. The husk mainly contains mucilage and cellulose.
It is lubricating and mildly intoxicating. It cures diarrhea and dysentery. The husk creates tenderness and gives physical strength. It is extremely nutritive, sweet, and cool. It is smooth, oily, astringent, and vata enhancing.
MEDICINAL USAGE & BENEFITS
- In case of pitta nature, swallow its mucilaginous pulp.
- In case of cough and chronic rhinitis, give decoction of Isabgol.
Grind it with Eucalyptus leaves and apply this paste on ear lobes. It cures headache.
Take its 15 gm mucilage and mix 15 gm onion juice in it. Warm the solution and put a few drops in the ears. It cures the ear pain.
Gargle with its mucilaginous pulp.
Soak it in vinegar and keep it under the teeth. It cures toothache.
Asthma, breathlessness, bronchitis:-
Give 4-7 gm seeds with warm water every morning. It is beneficial in asthma, breathlessness and bronchitis.
- In case of severe diarrhea with bleeding and bleeding diathesis, give isabgol powder with 2 teaspoonful curd, 2-3 times a day.
- In children, it helps cure old diarrhea.
- Soak its seeds in water till it forms the mucilage. Give this to the patient with sugar added in it. It cures amoebic dysentery, severe diarrhea due to indigestion.
- Give 1-2 teaspoonful Isabgol powder at night with warm milk. It cures constipation.
- Take equal quantities of Isabgol powder and triphala powder. Give 4-6 gm of this mixture with warm water at night before going to bed. Next day morning, the motions happen easily. For swelling stomach and pitta disorders this is an extremely effective treatment.
Give its squash to the patient. It stops bleeding from boils.
Mix the squash of China rose with its mucilage and give this to the patient.
Take 150 gm Isabgol powder and mix 50 gm each of aniseed and sugar. Give 3-7 teaspoonful of this mixture 3-6 times a day.
In case where quantity of urine released is almost nil or when there is burning sensation while releasing the urine, soak 5 teaspoonful powder in 2 glass of water and after some time add sugar as per taste and give this to the patient. It cures the burning sensation and pain in the urinary area.
Tie poultice of Isabgol on the joints. It gives relief from pain.
It may lead to weakness of nerves and muscles. It is anti- appetizer.http://www.vaidjagjitsingh.com/isabgol-psyllium-husk-health-benefits-uses-side-effects/Isabgol (Psyllium husk) - Health Benefits, Uses & Side EffectsAyurvedaFitnessHealth Conditions & DiseasesHerbsHealth Benefits,Isabgol,Medicinal Usage,Psyllium husk,Side effects,Uses