How Hemorrhoids can be treated through Ayurveda?
Hemorrhoids are swollen or dilated sub-mucosal vascular tissue of the anal canal. When these are located just inside the anal canal are called internal hemorrhoids, or when it surrounds the anal opening then these are external hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids may be present for years but go undetected until there is bleeding occurs.
Internal hemorrhoids can cause extreme pain if it is completely “prolapsed”. It means that internal hemorrhoids are coming out of the anal opening and can’t be pushed back inside. External hemorrhoids are mainly found near the anus. But sometimes a blood clot (thrombosis) can happen in outer hemorrhoids. A person may feel skin tags that develops from the stretching of the perianal skin.
Ayurveda point of view:
In Ayurveda, hemorrhoids or piles is termed as “Arsha”. In this disease, mamsa ankurs occur at the guda marga (anal canal) and obstructs this pathway.
What are the causes of hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids are caused due to repeated pressure in the anal as well as rectal veins. It is also caused due to the trauma to the anal canal usually during bowel movements.
Other contributing factors include:
- Chronic constipation or diarrhea
- Age factor
- Excessive/repeated straining during bowel movements
- Prolonged sitting
- Loss of muscle toning due to old age
- Rectal surgery or episiotomy
- Alcoholism with cirrhosis (liver disease)
- Anal infection
- Anal intercourse
- Colon malignancy
What are the symptoms of hemorrhoids?
In internal hemorrhoids, the only symptom may be rectal or anal bleeding. Bright red blood may appear in stool, or bright red blood that drips into the toilet following bowel movements.
Other symptoms include a lump that can be felt around the anus with or without associated pain and this usually happens in external hemorrhoids, mucus discharge after bowel movements. Hemorrhoids usually lasts for several days and may often recur.
Pain can occur during and after a bowel movement, sometimes followed by throbbing pain for several hours. It is often associated with itching also.
Internal hemorrhoids symptoms include:
- Painless bleeding
- Protrusion of hemorrhoids during bowel movements
- Sometimes pain can be extreme
- Mucus discharge from the inside lining of the bowel
External hemorrhoids symptoms include:
- Bleeding is painless
- Swelling or hard lump may feel on the outer part of the anus.
- Thrombosed hemorrhoids
- A hard lump may be painful and sometimes bleeding occurs
How to diagnose hemorrhoids?
Diagnosis is made by physical examination of the anal area or by history, which includes a visual examination of the anus by an instrument which is called a proctoscope.
Another method is sigmoidoscopy in which there is an examination of the rectum and lower part of the colon using an optical instrument with a lighted tip.
What are the preventing tips for hemorrhoids?
- Include more fiber content in the diet because it helps to soften the stools. Fresh fruit, green leafy vegetables, and whole-grain breads are good sources of fiber.
- Avoid low-fiber foods, such as ice cream, cheese, white bread, and meat.
- Drink plenty of water and other fluids. Eight glasses of water a day is good for health.
- Do exercise regularly.
- Bulk-forming laxatives can be helpful.
- Avoid laxatives but use them occasionally unless they’re bulk-forming.
- If you feel a bowel movement don’t wait too long to use the bathroom. Your stool will get drier and harder the longer you wait.
- Do not sit on the toilet for long hours
- Lose weight, if overweight
- Take a sitz bath or regular bath, three or four times a day.
- Clean the rectum gently after every bowel moment with toilet paper or moistened pads.
- Use ice packs relieving pain
- Use numbing ointment which will help to pass the stool easily
- Avoid heavy lifting as well as straining
Panchakarma treatment for hemorrhoids:
There are four main procedures that are helpful in the treatment of piles. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre offers these procedures that works on the root cause of the disease.
1. Kshara Karma: This surgical procedure has been done in Ayurveda since ancient times and is very effective in treating piles. It involves an application of organic alkaline that promotes the removal of excess tissues and proliferation.
2. Shasthi shali pind sweda: In this procedure sweda is given on the affected area. In this procedure, rice is cooked with Balamoola kwath and dughda.
3. Patra potli pind sweda: In this procedure, a gentle massage is given on the affected area with the herbal leaves.
4. Basti: This is considered as the main Panchkarma procedure that eliminates all the toxins accumulated in the body. Through this procedure, decoctions and ghee colon is cleaned.
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre offers best and wonder Ayurvedic treatment for piles ie., Piles relief kit. This kit comprises of- Arsho fit capsule, Arsh kuthar rasa, Panchsakar churna, Triphala syrup, Detox premium powder. This herbal kit is very effective in balancing all the three doshas.
1. Arsho fit capsule:
Arsho fit capsules are prepared from ingredients like nagkeshar, sonth, shudh garik, raswanti, shudh suhaga, etc. This wonderful combination provides relief from bleeding through piles and balances the pitta as well as Kapha dosha. Nagkeshar present in it has hemostatic and thrombotic action. Being an anti-inflammatory it relieves inflammation and also works as a wound-healing agent.
Recommended Dosage: Take two capsules twice a daily with plain water after meals.
2. Arsh Kuthar Rasa:
This wonderful Ayurvedic formulation used to treat all the grades of hemorrhoids. It comprises of Maricha (Black pepper), Loha bhasma (Purified iron), Sonth (Zingiber officianle), Yavakshar (Hordeum vulgare), etc. These ingredients treat the root cause of hemorrhoids like anorexia, indigestion, balances Vata and Kapha dosha. It also improves the liver function and also reduces swelling as well as inflammation.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
3. Panchsakar Churna:
Panchsakar churna is a classical ayurvedic formulation which comprises of Pippali, Shunti, Trivrit, Haritaki, and Sauvarchala lavana. In Ayurvedic texts, it is mentioned that it works as a Vatakaphahara. Regular use of this churna gives effective results in abdominal bloating, loss of appetite which are related to piles. It also acts as a natural laxative that helps to pass the stool easily.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful daily with warm water at bedtime.
4. Triphala Syrup:
As per the name suggests, Triphala means (Haritaki, Bibhitaki, and Amalaki) which are used for the formulation of this syrup. These three herbs are natural laxatives and have a positive effect on balancing the body’s three doshas. This is an amazing syrup that cleans your bowel naturally and also treats chronic constipation related to the piles. It is not a habit-forming syrup.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful of this syrup twice a daily with normal water.
5. Detox Premium Powder:
Detox premium powder acts as a natural antioxidant that eliminates the toxins (ama) from the body. This herbal powder contains ingredients like akik pishti, Jahar mohra pishti, giloy satv, parwal pishti, tal sindoor, gandhak rasayan, etc. This wonderful combination of ingredients possesses anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and laxative properties. Removal of toxins treats inflammation which also treats pain.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.